diy solar

diy solar

Sonali Solar 250 Watt Poly Solar Panel

Mtwilks25

I'm a newbie to anything solar related. I'm getting ready to buy a solar system and install on my home. I know im going to use either tesla or other style lithium battery for storage and backup. I know im going to use victron equipment for my house. I live in the country and ground space is more then available so I'm going to go with a ground solar array. I've been doing a ton of research and while I find that mono panels are more efficient from what my research shows that with a ground setup i should go with poly panels but I'm not 100% sold on them. From what I gather poly panels work better in dusty conditions and since I live in Central Texas. I read on a couple of blogs that mono panels will almost quit working is they get a little dirty. What are your thoughts? I'm not going to use minrcoinverters. My plan is to run the solar panels to a victron mppt then charge the batteries. From the battery back to the victron quattro inverter charger. Any help or additional info that I'm not thinking of would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

IMHO, you're picking fly turds out of pepper. The difference between mono and poly are in the small single digits %-wise for just about anything. The only advantage mono has over poly is it makes it easier to carry your wallet.

Our place is in the high desert of AZ - high winds and dusty. I've never cleaned my panels, and I've seen them produce 90% of rated in January (high altitude/cold helps). I've never cleaned my panels. They're poly.

I trust you've established both your available solar and energy needs?

Watts of PV per dollar, Watts per dollar of mounting hardware and wiring, and Watts per hour of labor are more important than exact "efficiency".
In some applications, watts per square foot (efficiency) does matter, but less so when large ground mounts are used.

Check out one of the sources some of us have bought from, and consider what used/surplus PV panels have to offer:

It sounds like you probably already have a utility connection. If net metering is available, you have additional options for system design. You can cycle batteries infrequently (like only during power failures as I do). Or you can use batteries to alter when you draw power from the grid and when you backfeed it. System cost and your ultimate $/Wh cost can vary greatly depending on what you decide to build.

I'm a newbie looking at used solar panels. What are your thoughts on used Sonali solar 250 watt poly solar panels? I can get 7k watts worth of panels for 2k with free shipping. But I have zero knowledge on if these, are they good panels or should I stir clear?

Last edited:
I did and couldn't find anything other then what was on the manufactures website.

Back