diy solar

diy solar

Sorotec REVO II 5,5Kw / EASUN( AXPERT/POWLAND) IGRID VE II 5,5KW

A friendly hello to everyone. I am DE and live in TH. A SOROTEC REVO II 5.5 KW inverter with 200AH LiFePO4 battery also works here. I am very satisfied with the device.
My question: Which monitor software do you use and how do you connect? "DessMonitor" or the "SmartESS" app works but my account always starts again at 0KWh when I reach 65KWh, I can't find a server administrator who can change the setting. The "SolarPower" software looks good, but is there anything better for Sorotec?
Hello Thaiger,

(Better watch out for name issues 555)
(5 is pronounced "Ha" in Thai, so... 555 = hahaha) (Thaiger is a news channel in Thailand)

Welcome to the forum!
Sorry for the late reply, I've been out the country for a while.

Monitoring software..

Many different options, none by Sorotec!!
I have solarman what they started with, now they use different company.
Also a possibility to use laptop with cable (usb?) (Never tried)

Monitoring works when the information provided is accurate.
And sadly to inform you, it isn't.

At 3500 watt the MPPT is reasonable efficient and reports accurate enough to use.
At 4000 watt... It's bad.
4500 watt .. crap.
5500 watt ?
Not going to happen.
Even if you push 6000 it will only convert 4600-4700 but will report 5500 watt.
The 4600 loses + 500 watt...
Into heat.

From DC to AC..
At 50% it's OK, higher regions..
Not so good.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Revo II for its price/quality.

And if you charge with 3500 solar, and use the 5.500 inverter up to 3500 watt, it's efficient and stable energy.

Use it to rated max...
Expect a lot of heat, what isn't used energy, not efficient.

Also their shunts aren't really accurate, especially on the higher numbers.

It seems like it was built with the 3500 in mind, found out it could peak at.... And sold as is the peak
(Normal strategy in China)

I was naive when I bought them.
Well...
Not for the Inverter part, that is covered many times in this and other forums.

Mppt part.
Like inverter, they should only be used normally at 70% of rated capacity.

For solar... That is max production at noon, 70% for rated mppt.

For inverter, normal peak power consumption.
Where short time burst like microwave or blender aren't an issue.
Several hours can/will be.
(For performance and efficiency)

There are several AM meters available that use external shunts to keep track of the power going in and out.
(For solar line, if your setup is done as it should, only power in, not out at night)

Several have reporting options and with open energy monitor you can do A LOT!

Victron have high quality AM meters (Shunts) they cost some, with great software.

If you like free software (open source) OEM is the place to be.

Shunts are just a few bucks, so are the (China) AM Meters

Personally, I use the atorch electric energy meter. For the main battery performance.

Solar...
As it's 300-350v not many options there.
Most AM meters go to 100v.
I already fried several who claim to to higher voltage...
Lol.
I now have visual monitoring :)

IMG_20211119_093423_copy_1000x750.jpgIMG_20211119_093433_copy_1000x750.jpgIMG_20211119_093448_copy_1000x750.jpg

Indeed...
2315 Is seen as 2245 watt..
And this is where the inverter show reasonable efficient numbers.
1737+162= 1900 watt.

2315 watt goes inside.
1900 watt is being used.

According to the Revo and external shunt.

Good news is that the 1732 is actually higher :)

Using the build in shunts for morning will give you insight with consistent incorrect numbers.

Insight will be OK, using the numbers to make production and use calculations..
Your into a nice journey :)
Down the rabbit hole ?

Last edited:
I have a question for the Sorotec Revo II / EASunpower IGrid VE II hybrid inverters out there:

The datasheet states that:

‘The CT sensor will monitor the power consumption of the system and will make sure no excess PV power is delivered to the Grid.’

And here is the EASunpower manual:

Try function ‘CT Function Choose’ on page 15 states:

‘Choose the AC PV mode first,then choose the “Out Side CT ”. (in output side, when your loads power is big, PV will give more power to supplement it, but the biggest power it can supplied is PV output rate power.). Please note: The direction of the CT must be right. (CT is connected in input side)’

These inverters can clearly be configured to supply excess PV power out the AC input connection to offset consumption, but not enough to export to grid.

The question is whether this supply of inverted power includes the ability to supply battery power out the AC input connection to offset consumption.

These inverters can use PV power to offset load consumption using solar power while the sun is shining. Can they do the same using battery power after the sun is down?

The Solark / Deye hybrid inverters can be programmed to offset consumption on the AC input both day and night (using battery power). I am trying to understand whether these Sorotec / ESSinpower inverters can do the same…

This should answer your question.

I do not have grid.
As result, none of the problems of feeding back to the grid
Automatic fail over switches and all those issues.

My advice about this is only what I read and see, not practical experience.

Using the Revo II in offgird environment?
I have over 2 years experience in several configurations.
Single and 3 phase, parallel etc.

In older version of the firmware you could choose.
Charge battery or provide electricity as priority.
Is it most important to charge or to provide electricity?
If it's most important to charge, the AC consumption would be taken from the grid.
If it's most important to provide electricity, the charging would pause till there is more electricity produced then used

That was simple to understand :)

How they do it now...
Probably because I have absolute no use for it...
Never taken the time to fully understand :)

This should answer your question.

I do not have grid.
As result, none of the problems of feeding back to the grid
Automatic fail over switches and all those issues.

My advice about this is only what I read and see, not practical experience.

Using the Revo II in offgird environment?
I have over 2 years experience in several configurations.
Single and 3 phase, parallel etc.

In older version of the firmware you could choose.
Charge battery or provide electricity as priority.
Is it most important to charge or to provide electricity?
If it's most important to charge, the AC consumption would be taken from the grid.
If it's most important to provide electricity, the charging would pause till there is more electricity produced then used

That was simple to understand :)

How they do it now...
Probably because I have absolute no use for it...
Never taken the time to fully understand :)
Reinforced my concern - they only show power going to AC input when it came from the solar array (only showed battery energy going to AC output).

Bummer (and unbelievably brain-dead).

Could you Sorotec or Easun hybrid owners please comment on how much noise the fans on your inverters make when they turn on?

I have a couple of the SUN 1000G2 GTIL inverters in the basement and the fan noise is my biggest gripe.

I stumbled onto the Eason hybrids searching for a quieter replacement but would appreciate to understand from owners how quiet or loud the fan noise is.

fhorst, so you actually replaced the fans in your inverter or just added additional fans and ducking to keep the internal fans from being used?

I may try something similar to reduce the fan noise of my little 1kW GTIL inverters.

Reading over again, it sounds as though you actually replaced the stock fans and used the control signals for the stock fans to control your new ‘whisper silent’ fans.

Sounds like I need to go shopping for some fans…
you could replace the standard 80mm by near silent noctura's ..
they push through a lot more air and are near silent..
at 15 Euro a fan, this should be a simple and relative cheap upgrade

First of all, hello to everyone
I have an iGrid VEII 5.5kW Powland and I want to connect 8kWh batteries from Chevrolet Volt (48V 12S3P LiIon) to it I want to modify the parameters using WatchPower or SolarPower and a PC because I want to charge the battery to 50V and then switch it to offgrid (Paramter: Back to discharge voltage as in the picture)
Unfortunately, when I try to change the parameter and use the application, the application displays an error (I am logged in as an administrator) - I do not know what to do - I use RJ45-> RS232 -> USB, I also tried with RS232-> RS232 COM connector from WiFi I always have this error - what could be the cause?
I will try a desktop computer with built-in COM and Win7 because now I was doing this laptop with Win10.
Maybe there is some software dedicated to these Powland inverters?
I will be very grateful for your help
Tom

Attachments

• paramter_set false.png
    paramter_set false.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 49
So the fans used on the Sorotec / Easun hybrids are 80mm?

or 120 mm..
quite easy to find out.

the ones in my voltronic/mpp solar inverters were 80 mm
Well I’m happy to hear it’s possible to switch out the stock fans for much quieter ones, but disappointed to hear that these hybrid inverters will not use battery energy to support zero-export-to-CT-sensor once the sun has gone down.

That makes them essentially useless for time-shift application (which is my top priority),

Well I’m happy to hear it’s possible to switch out the stock fans for much quieter ones, but disappointed to hear that these hybrid inverters will not use battery energy to support zero-export-to-CT-sensor once the sun has gone down.

That makes them essentially useless for time-shift application (which is my top priority),
back to deye/sunsynk/sol-ark for you i'm afraid :)

back to deye/sunsynk/sol-ark for you i'm afraid :)
Yeah, Solark for sure offers the capability I’m seeking (but for way more than my budget allows).

Deye as well, except that now you have to purchase a European model and screw around with adding an Autotransformer (and the Deye is still outside my budget).

The Huayu hybrids supposedly reaching the market get closer to my budget but it’s still unclear whether they will support true ‘zero export to CT sensor’ capability (partly because EASunpower is rebadging them and appears to only offer the same functionality as their rebadged Sorotec models).

And the Growatt SPH3000TL BL-US is probably the most viable option I’ve found in today’s market approaching my budget but again, requires addition of an Autotransformer for split-phase backup capability (which is not my priority).

Virtually all of these ‘LV’ solutions are for 48V battery, which is not a showstopper for me, but what I’d really like is a 24V 3kW or at least 2kW model.

Luckily, I’m not buying today, but tomorrow (2023) so I’ll hope the market continues to evolve before then.

The 2 SUN 1000G2 inverters I’m using now are perfect save two problems:

-efficiency is lousy at ~80% when running off of a 24V battery

-fan noise is very loud when the ~200W of heat generated at peak output kicks-off active cooling (something I can hopefully do something about with the ideas surrounding use of quieter fans I’ve learned about here ;)).

433 / 5000
Hi guys
How to setup my REVO iGrid VEII 5.5kW Powland with battery for 50.4V maximum voltage (type 12S3P CHEVROLT VOLT)
so that it automatically switches to battery power at the state of e.g. 49V. I can not set it from the touch panel and when I read the WatchPower program I see the "Back to discharge voltage" 52V parameter but I can not change it and I think it is important
You know What is the solution to this problem?
Tom

Yes.. you can, but should NOT!!!

I have several Noctua's and they are amazing silent, ...
With just about 0 static pressure.

For a computer case fan, great!! They aren't intended for cramped airflow, they are for almost free flow.

And yes, I've tried the 120mm fans, even 4 X 120 mm fans aren't enough to cool the mppt/inverter
Just not enough airflow in restricted space.
(During real usage, 4500 watt MPPT, 4000 watt AC)

There are fans that are (almost) silent, and do deliver enough static pressure.
Bequiet silent wings 3.

Please do your own research.
Fans that are good for computer water cooling (restrictive radiators) are good for our purposes.
Free flow .. just isn't going to cool enough.

433 / 5000
Hi guys
How to setup my REVO iGrid VEII 5.5kW Powland with battery for 50.4V maximum voltage (type 12S3P CHEVROLT VOLT)
so that it automatically switches to battery power at the state of e.g. 49V. I can not set it from the touch panel and when I read the WatchPower program I see the "Back to discharge voltage" 52V parameter but I can not change it and I think it is important
You know What is the solution to this problem?
Tom
Hi Tom,

I haven't used your battery, for me I just set things to manual settings.

This works for me with LiFePO4 16 cells (total 780Ah, usually never drops below 35% SOC)
IMG_20211205_103214_copy_1000x750.jpgIMG_20211205_103204_copy_1000x750.jpgIMG_20211205_103220_copy_1000x750.jpg

This fan is the original one. I tried to find 80mm quiet fans but it was difficult over 67 CFM and quiet.

I'll try to change GDSTIME 8025 which Rated Speed: 5000 RPM; Air flow: 64CFM; Noise: 44.8dBA; Power: 5Watt. It looks like doesn't change a lot on spec though.

Those
This fan is the original one. I tried to find 80mm quiet fans but it was difficult over 67 CFM and quiet.

I'll try to change GDSTIME 8025 which Rated Speed: 5000 RPM; Air flow: 64CFM; Noise: 44.8dBA; Power: 5Watt. It looks like doesn't change a lot on spec though.
Those are indeed the original fans.
And as you can see, quality fans.

Please do not look only at CFM.
You will regret.
It's a balance between airflow and static pressure.
Static pressure being most important to have a good airflow in the restricted place.

First step when you are inside in a clean air room is to remove the air filter covers and filters.(on the sides)

That will already help a lot.
Then, if the noise is still to much, you need to make a duckt to have 2 X 120mm fans.
Even with those, the CMF will not tell you much.
Again static pressure.
Especially liquid baring fans usually have low static pressure, but are almost silent.

It's easy enough to place one Delta server fan 120mm, 48v.
It will keep your inverter cool, and make you dream about the "silent" 80mm fans :)

You are free to re-invent the wheel.
Or take advice from someone who actually have walked the road, tried several 80mm 92 and 120mm fans.

Pictures are welcome of your trials!!

Hello Zorro,

Sorry for the late reply.
I was in Europe for a few months.

I have no experience with the lifepo4 batteries from sorotec.
The codes you mentioned are specific for them, and have to do with BMS.

Please contact their support department for this.

Discharge at night happens.
It's normal that an inverter eats electricity when turned on.

Forget about all the nice specs on paper, they are only on paper.

Victron (A brand) 3200 inverter uses in standby (no AC power used) 50 watts, in real life.
(See some of the older videos of "off grid garage" on YouTube)

The Revo II 3200 uses instandby about 50-75 watts, the 5500 75-100 watts.

More than the high priced top class Victron, sure.
For the price difference...
That's a huge win for the Sorotec (and other brands)
(Just add more battery and a panel..
And take the family out to dinner several times from the money saved)

It's not just the extra power consumption that is a difference between Victron, if I could afford...
Everything just works and keeps on working.
To tweaking and puzzles like with China crap....

Power usage, draining at night is a real thing that you should take in account when building the system.

Like MPPT and inverter losses, plus lifepo4 losses.

In simple terms, all that gets warm/hot is energy you aren't using, unless you want to use it to heat up your room :)
Hey, welcome back and thanks for the reply.
I believe I found the cause behind my battery emptying during late night hours. I discovered a semi-short circuit due to a faulty temperature sensor installed on a water pipe. I was able to verify that the sensor was the reason for current leakage, which was actually draining my battery. I cut the electricity off the sensor, and things seem to be back to normal again- never experienced a sudden battery drainage since then !

For your info and reference.

A friendly hello to everyone. I am DE and live in TH. A SOROTEC REVO II 5.5 KW inverter with 200AH LiFePO4 battery also works here. I am very satisfied with the device.
My question: Which monitor software do you use and how do you connect? "DessMonitor" or the "SmartESS" app works but my account always starts again at 0KWh when I reach 65KWh, I can't find a server administrator who can change the setting. The "SolarPower" software looks good, but is there anything better for Sorotec?
You need to use SmartESS app

The pv input on my 5.5kw SOROTEC serms to be leaking current.gave me a jolt of electricity when i tried hooking it up to the panels. Is this the normal design?.

The pv input on my 5.5kw SOROTEC serms to be leaking current.gave me a jolt of electricity when i tried hooking it up to the panels. Is this the normal design?.
Painful, yes :)

Apparently, yes it is.

I did some fiddling in the past, negative solar cable and got a really nasty bite.
Really nasty. I believe it's 450v ....

When you play with solar or battery or AC...
Always turn off the inverter, disconnect as much as possible (breakers?)

Better safe then sorry!
I have breakers between all in and out going power.
Probably don't need to turn off the inverter and disconnect the battery en doing solar cables.
I still do.
Slip of the hand to the wrong spot and you have a lot of sparks and no longer a functional mppt/inverter.

I'm probably the only one who wiggles too much with the solar cable sometimes, that much that it gets loose in the screw mount...
Oeps...
Having high power would be nasty.

Safety first!!

(I haven't touched the cables for many months, but during setup phase... )

Back