diy solar

diy solar

Sorotec REVO II 5,5Kw / EASUN( AXPERT/POWLAND) IGRID VE II 5,5KW

Last time I checked one get buy 5-6 Revo II units for the same setup with Victron products.

Then you just have it on the same level, and to really use the intellect of Victron, spend several hundreds more.

Also the solar array voltage and capacity.

Absolutely better quality.

A Mercedes Benz is a lot better den Dancia. More bells and whistles.

When quality is the most important... Victron / Mercedes
When Finance is more important..
Revo II/ Dancia :)

At the end of the day, when both work..
How much extra solar panels / batteries are you able to buy with the money that wasn't spend on the Victron?

In my idea the Revo will work for 5 to 7;years and then needs to be replaced.

Victron 7 to 10 years and needs to be replaced.

That doesn't make it half the price (5 year vs 10) as we have seen what was available 5 (to 7) years ago in the inverter world, and how the efficiency and quality has improved.
A lot wider acceptance what resulted in much much lower prices.

This trend will continue.
It probably is a good thing to be able to replace the units ater 5-7 years.

The additional Solar panels and batteries you where able to buy now will last much longer :)

Last time I checked one get buy 5-6 Revo II units for the same setup with Victron products.

Then you just have it on the same level, and to really use the intellect of Victron, spend several hundreds more.

How much extra solar panels / batteries are you able to buy with the money that wasn't spend on the Victron?

That doesn't make it half the price (5 year vs 10) as we have seen what was available 5 (to 7) years ago in the inverter world, and how the efficiency and quality has improved.

The additional Solar panels and batteries you where able to buy now will last much longer :)
Yeah, and for tier1 companies, I would expect that if I pay more - it will "just work", no need to search for can bus message structures, switch inverter modes externally via RS232, etc.))

You will not believe this, but today is a sunny day and now both batteries in parallel started charging as they should. However, I don't understand why I can't tell my inverter to use the grid for charging when no PV is available. SOC is set to [009 - 100] and it only charged 95% and stopped
You can tell the inverter to use the grid for charging with setting Setting->Charge->AC Charge > 0 and On Grid checked in Battery Mode. However this will always charge from grid in addition to what comes from PV. The only way I found to use the grid only if needed is to change dynamically the inverters setting by using the serial interface e.g. by a connected PC.

If you use the inverter mainly as UPS setting a AC charge current should be fine anyway.

Last edited:
You can tell the inverter to use the grid for charging with setting Setting->Charge->AC Charge > 0 and On Grid checked in Battery Mode. However this will always charge from grid in addition to what comes from PV. The only way I found to use the grid only if needed is to change dynamically the inverters setting by using the serial interface e.g. by a connected PC.

If you use the inverter mainly as UPS setting a AC charge current should be fine anyway.
Thanks, I'll try this workaround.

Also, I would like to ask again about CT. If I have a grid, but all my loads are powered by inverter AC output (no loads before AC input), do I need CT? What will happen if I enable AC+PV: all excess PV power goes back to the grid and I'm not able to do zero export? Or if my loads are powered by inverter AC output, it can adjust PV output even without using an external CT?

Thanks, I'll try this workaround.

Also, I would like to ask again about CT. If I have a grid, but all my loads are powered by inverter AC output (no loads before AC input), do I need CT? What will happen if I enable AC+PV: all excess PV power goes back to the grid and I'm not able to do zero export? Or if my loads are powered by inverter AC output, it can adjust PV output even without using an external CT?
I don't use the CT sensor. From my understanding this is meant to prevent the inverter from pushing excess PV power back to the grid. In some countries there are quite strict regulations related to pushing power to the grid. However in Germany this kind of software solution is not compliant anyway.

Without CT sensor there is no problem if your load consumes less power than PV delivers. The excesses will either go to the grid (if AC Charge > 0 and On Grid enabled) or will just not be used.

Last edited:

I think I've found an answer and it looks like a bug in the inverters firmware.

The inverter has charge settings: 90A Total, 60A max AC.
BMS advertises max potential charge, and the inverter overrides any value you set manually in Charge settings with the value received from BMS.
What is interesting, is when I have a single battery connected, everything is fine, BMS gives 37A max charge and the inverter sets it as both Total: 40A, AC: 40A. But with two batteries - it sets both to 70A, which is more than even available for AC and that is why it's not charging when PV is not available.

If I go with User Bat but CAN is connected, I can switch back to lithium once batteries are close to 85% and BMS reduces the max charge current to 40A and they will charge again normally as they should.

I'm happy that you found the problem.

2 captains on a ship is never a good idea :)

I'm still a bit confused.
Your batteries, how much AH are they?
If they can change max 40A ??

Normally this is at least 0.5C, half of the battery capacity. (For lead acid 0.2C)

One Revo II provide max 4400w solar.
(Yes, I know, on paper 5500w)
That would be around max 80A if all is used for charging.
= The same as the maximal setting of the BMS.

If my understanding is correct, the AC charge is only used when the PV doesn't provide enough power.

In any case, max 90A charging.

Stepping down at 85% SOC to 40A apparently is something handled by the BMS.
Not a bad setup, but... As the Revo doesn't provide more (you have 2 batteries), you don't need to change settings at the Revo "back to lithium" as it doesn't provide more Ampere anyways.

I doubt the batteries you use are 80 (or lower Ah.
Looking at the size at least 120Ah.
Roughly about 5.5 kWh. (Each)
Probably more.

With 2 sets, one Revo II can never provide too high capacity at charging.

While I understand the urge to be able to use the set to maximal functionality...
You probably are better off restricting :).

It is kinda complex.
The BMS apparently is smart enough to double the 40A
Revo II doesn't balance for PV.
It just gives what it can.
They don't communicate at all about that part.

My 3 Revo units are parallel, and each sees a slightly different battery voltage.

They don't synchronize the charge, just respond to the voltage they sense.

For me this is OK, i have one unit a bit higher then the other 2.
It never hurts to reduce the charge capacity at the end of the cycle.
Even when it was already (way) below 0.5c
I hardly reach 0.25C (1060Ah @51.2v) (S16)
At peak i get 60A per battery.
While I have 14.5 kWh on solar, the 3 units can give maximal 13.5
Deduct some for dust and such on the panels, not optimal orientation, not optimal temperature..
Probably max 12500w
3*260Ah, one set 280Ah.

Only reason why one might charge faster then 0.25C is because of some slight difference between internal resistance of the cells.

Even then... Not even close to the 0.5C

My cells are BYD and EVE.

40A charge is not a lot!
Unless you have lower capacity lifepo4, the need to change every day to lifepo4 setting won't help.

Besides this, I have an other bug.
The Revo doesn't always "accept" the new setting.
It does show it in the display, but doesn't process it. The old setting stays.
And sometimes it "revert back" to lead Acid setting. (when making changes,and it doesn't properly process them)

Due to this, i stopped playing with it!
As it sometimes takes the lead acid setting upon saving a user set voltage..
You won't know untill your BMS stops overcharge.
Display shows the "set value"

After a few tries, it does accept and store the new setting.

The BMS protects.
There was never any real danger for the Lithium cells.
Still... It didn't make me happy.
It's now set at good working voltages that keep the charge maximal at 3.40x V per cell, and keeps it there as long as there is enough sunlight.

This works for me.
I'll never have 100% SOC, and never enough hours of sunlight to do half of the absorption phase needed to reach even close to 100%.
How much exactly?
85-95%, depending on the day.

Good enough for me.

As I told before, I always get a bit anxious when people (or equipment) tries to get "maximal" performance out of a lifepo4 battery.
So many unknowns.
So much money that would be needed to invest to have more precise knowledge.
A BMS and/or inverter of a few hundred bucks simply can't.
They can give estimation, and depending on the SOC with a 20-25% error margin.

Good is good enough ??

I'm happy that you found the problem.

2 captains on a ship is never a good idea :)

I'm still a bit confused.
Your batteries, how much AH are they?
If they can change max 40A ??

Normally this is at least 0.5C, half of the battery capacity. (For lead acid 0.2C)

One Revo II provide max 4400w solar.
(Yes, I know, on paper 5500w)
That would be around max 80A if all is used for charging.
= The same as the maximal setting of the BMS.

If my understanding is correct, the AC charge is only used when the PV doesn't provide enough power.

In any case, max 90A charging.

Stepping down at 85% SOC to 40A apparently is something handled by the BMS.
Not a bad setup, but... As the Revo doesn't provide more (you have 2 batteries), you don't need to change settings at the Revo "back to lithium" as it doesn't provide more Ampere anyways.

I doubt the batteries you use are 80 (or lower Ah.
Looking at the size at least 120Ah.
Roughly about 5.5 kWh. (Each)
Probably more.

With 2 sets, one Revo II can never provide too high capacity at charging.

While I understand the urge to be able to use the set to maximal functionality...
You probably are better off restricting :).

It is kinda complex.
The BMS apparently is smart enough to double the 40A
Revo II doesn't balance for PV.
It just gives what it can.
They don't communicate at all about that part.

My 3 Revo units are parallel, and each sees a slightly different battery voltage.

They don't synchronize the charge, just respond to the voltage they sense.

For me this is OK, i have one unit a bit higher then the other 2.
It never hurts to reduce the charge capacity at the end of the cycle.
Even when it was already (way) below 0.5c
I hardly reach 0.25C (1060Ah @51.2v) (S16)
At peak i get 60A per battery.
While I have 14.5 kWh on solar, the 3 units can give maximal 13.5
Deduct some for dust and such on the panels, not optimal orientation, not optimal temperature..
Probably max 12500w
3*260Ah, one set 280Ah.

Only reason why one might charge faster then 0.25C is because of some slight difference between internal resistance of the cells.

Even then... Not even close to the 0.5C

My cells are BYD and EVE.

40A charge is not a lot!
Unless you have lower capacity lifepo4, the need to change every day to lifepo4 setting won't help.

Besides this, I have an other bug.
The Revo doesn't always "accept" the new setting.
It does show it in the display, but doesn't process it. The old setting stays.
And sometimes it "revert back" to lead Acid setting. (when making changes,and it doesn't properly process them)

Due to this, i stopped playing with it!
As it sometimes takes the lead acid setting upon saving a user set voltage..
You won't know untill your BMS stops overcharge.
Display shows the "set value"

After a few tries, it does accept and store the new setting.

The BMS protects.
There was never any real danger for the Lithium cells.
Still... It didn't make me happy.
It's now set at good working voltages that keep the charge maximal at 3.40x V per cell, and keeps it there as long as there is enough sunlight.

This works for me.
I'll never have 100% SOC, and never enough hours of sunlight to do half of the absorption phase needed to reach even close to 100%.
How much exactly?
85-95%, depending on the day.

Good enough for me.

As I told before, I always get a bit anxious when people (or equipment) tries to get "maximal" performance out of a lifepo4 battery.
So many unknowns.
So much money that would be needed to invest to have more precise knowledge.
A BMS and/or inverter of a few hundred bucks simply can't.
They can give estimation, and depending on the SOC with a 20-25% error margin.

Good is good enough ??
My batteries are 48v 75Ah, each can charge at 0.5C, 37A. So 2x will be 74A max charge.
But I don’t know why can’t an inverter just give 60A from AC if BMS says that the max is 74A. What if I connect 3 batteries and BMS will say it can accept 100+A, i guess with this bug it will never charge because of 90A limit))
I am thinking about putting an Arduino between the BMS and inverter and just override the advertised max charge if it’s more than 60A?. Why would I want this? I guess because my BMS always tries to lower the charge earlier than an inverter in “user” mode, and it looks just safer. I know I need more batteries to have bigger error margin but the budget is pretty much limited now so trying to make it work first.

REVO ii 3.2KW 48V----error 12, battery voltage too high, whats the cause of this error and possible solution?

REVO ii 3.2KW 48V----error 12, battery voltage too high, whats the cause of this error and possible solution?
That's not a lot of information to go on.

Did it ever work?
Suddenly this error?

What is the battery voltage?
And what are your settings in the Revo II about the battery?

Kicking in an open door:
What is the cause? Too high voltage
Possible solution? Drain the battery..

I'm sure you figured that one out and it's not that obvious :)

That's not a lot of information to go on.

Did it ever work?
Suddenly this error?

What is the battery voltage?
And what are your settings in the Revo II about the battery?

Kicking in an open door:
What is the cause? Too high voltage
Possible solution? Drain the battery..

I'm sure you figured that one out and it's not that obvious :)
yeah, a 2yr old installation. turned out to be a loose inverter-external busbar connection. tightened, restarted and was good again

@Frank in Thailand &other users

I have error code 03 - inverter low voltage error on a revo ii, which recently comes and goes...and sometimes shuts down.

Any idea of possible cause and remedy?

@frankinthailand

Sorry,
I haven't been on the forum much lately.

Error 03, still there?
I need to think on it a few days what it might be.

I hope everything worked out OK.

Back