diy solar

diy solar

source for 120v efficient refrigerators

Seven30

It baffles me that such essential appliances in the US are still based on 1940s technology!

I found a number of very efficient "inverter" refrigerators but they are NOT available in the US. Panasonic for example has some I like.

Has anyone found a US source for modern refrigerators?

Not really interested in the overpriced marine/rv DC fridges.

Most of the ~10cuft efficient models are not available or not in stock. So frustrating!

Why is there no competition for effecient appliances in the US!?

Sure but we can even GET THOSE EITHER!!! Try to find any really efficient refrigerator. All you will find are $3000+ jokes or weird tiny ones more suited for a NASA space mission. All I want is a decent efficient apartment sized fridge. Like they can buy in South Africa!!!!

To add a different perspective; refrigerators are so much more efficient now than they were twenty years ago. I recently purchased a 27cu refer, inverter based, and it draws less energy than the 10cuft Sunfrost refer I owned years ago. No doubt there are more efficient ones available but this one I could pick up at a big box store and get extended warranty. Take a systems perspective, solar and batteries are getting so cheap that adding a panel or two is often easier than optimizing each and every load.

To add a different perspective; refrigerators are so much more efficient now than they were twenty years ago.

I see you point. You know, I hadn't really looked at it from that perspective before, rather quite brilliant.

So what we need to do is buy our refridgerators from the future. I'm on it.

I just moved from a small rental apartment into a rental house in central Midwest. I don’t use a lot of electricity. My electric bill went from $90+ a month to $40+ (for the same season months) mainly due to the change from an old 90s fridge to a 2021 fridge. The one we have is a very basic kenmore (no ice maker) from Sears. I think our landlord got it for around 500/600 or something. I’m sure there is something more efficient, but even base 2021 models are pretty good about barely sipping power in my opinion.

This mentality seems to be a holdover from the 1980's when solar was 4-5$ per watt. It's reversed today with solar as cheap as 4-5 watts per dollar.
I'd rather throw another 1000W that costs me 220$ at a problem then purchase a super, super efficient refrigerator that cost me 3000$.

I bought an energy efficient frig at Home Depot that cost me 500$. It's been running 24/7 for a year now without a single problem, including going through the depth of winter.

We had a 60s GE fridge when I was a kid with bottom freezer. That fridge ran perfect all the way until early ninties when it was replaced with a new
GE with in door icemaker. Big mistake. The new GE died three years later plus used significantly more power to boot.

I'm sure fridges are improved now but still its the same old induction motor with minor refinements thats been used since the 60s. Some may use the phase shifting circuits to reduce power wastage but its still a start/stop style system that is inherently inefficient. My frustration comes from the fact that there is so much better technology in production but hard to obtain here in the US.

Refrigeration

Energy Efficiency is a relative term when looking at the total cost energy from manufacture to usage to disposal. Total costs have just shifted.
From the consumer to the manufacturer.
The 40's-60's fridges had the least amount of parts to go wrong and easy to recycle (most lasted 30 years). costs to consumer - electricity

Today's may be more electricity efficient on the refrigeration part and the leds not creating much heat. The energy cost to manufacturer all
the extra parts is a lot more than the older units. With all the thermal set plastics are difficult to recycle. They have a program life time of 5 to 12 years before a non major fix. They have more parts that can cause a failure. Costs to the consumer - Manufacture of the unit.

The last 40 years of use more electricity than than 40's -60's ones . Because of the defrost cycle and the door seals heaters, to prevent mildew.
The total energy cost is somewhat a wash . Manufacture~ Consumer ~ Disposal = Total to Environment

The best way to save on usage costs are :
1) Clean the condenser coils at least once a year , more if you have pets
2) No side by side units , The cold will flow out faster with the taller column of air.
3) More doors the better, less volume of air to leak out when open. The old actual ice boxes had lots doors to limit losses.
4) Turn off the door seal heaters when the humidity is lower, if possible .
5) Clearances -- Back 3" - top 3" - sides 1/2 " This creates a draft even when the compressor just shuts off until it cools off.
6) If you need a ice maker -- A door unit - Don't need to open the door == Especially with kids :)
7) Insulation is the most savings but difficult to implement on a consumer fringe
8)There are more ways to become more efficient on thermal transfer, but more costly to implement

Energy efficiency is nothing new, the Romans used under the floor heating and some of the southern plantation owners had geothermal AC .
They buried wooden pipes in the fields and duct-ed to the house and used a wooden chimney painted black to create a draft.

It baffles me that such essential appliances in the US are still based on 1940s technology!

I found a number of very efficient "inverter" refrigerators but they are NOT available in the US. Panasonic for example has some I like.

Has anyone found a US source for modern refrigerators?

Not really interested in the overpriced marine/rv DC fridges.
Where are you located?
If you can make a quick trip across the border to Mexico, you can bring back a 12cu ft Samsung with digital inverter. Cost about $500USD/$10000MXN pesos

We had a 60s GE fridge when I was a kid with bottom freezer. That fridge ran perfect all the way until early ninties when it was replaced with a new
GE with in door icemaker. Big mistake. The new GE died three years later plus used significantly more power to boot.

I'm sure fridges are improved now but still its the same old induction motor with minor refinements thats been used since the 60s. Some may use the phase shifting circuits to reduce power wastage but its still a start/stop style system that is inherently inefficient. My frustration comes from the fact that there is so much better technology in production but hard to obtain here in the US.
There are quite a few models available in many big box stores that are very efficient (Sears, Best buy etc).
Here's an apartment sized efficient fridge $36 a year:
Select "energy star certified" to find the better models if that helps.

I see you point. You know, I hadn't really looked at it from that perspective before, rather quite brilliant.

So what we need to do is buy our refridgerators from the future. I'm on it.

Don't forget your Lotto ticket numbers while you're there. ;)

(Actually, if you're going to the future, why even bother with a fridge?)

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Sun Frost. Manufactured in northern California specifically for the off grid homeowner. 4 inches of foam; compressors on the top; uses about 70 watts of 120VAC (there was a DC model). It does have ice build up but I never minded that hassle. I have used one for the past 20 years. Called them the other day to inquire about a new interior light. They are no longer making them. The reason............new refrigerators are so efficient that the market for the Sun Frost no longer exists. Very sad. If you can find a used one, grab it!

Oops! Just realized that apctjb did use and mention Sun Frost. Sorry! I would like to hear more about the comparative energy use you noted in your note.

Pretty much any energy star listed fridge under 20cu ft with a top freezer will be efficient. My wife and I went down this road in preparation for our off grid cabin. Side by sides and bottom freezers use alot more energy. I also could not find anything regarding us market inverter based refrigerators. Weird

Back