diy solar

diy solar

source for 120v efficient refrigerators

Guys, the original numbers are totals of amps used in the 12 hour period. So 5.4A÷12 hour time frame=.45ah (parasitic loads)
12A÷12 hour time frame=1ah (inverter no load)
29A÷12 hour time frame=2.41ah (fridge on inverter)
Total amps used at the battery, or from the fridge at 120V?

See... I do not know of any electric refrigerator that operates at less than 1A at 12V...

Last edited:
Measuring stuff..

Current​
Ampere (amps)​
A​
Electric Charge​
Ampere•hour​
A•h, Ah​
Power​
Watt​
W​
Energy​
Watt•hour​
W•h, Wh​

Amps measure Current, which is different from Electric Charge or Energy.
To measure electric thing over time, often Electric Charge (A•h) or Energy (W•h) or (kW•h) are used.

Important to remember some of these are a combination of some Unit and Time. (Unit•Time)

1 watt second (1 W•s) means 1 watt for 1 second
5 watt second (5 W•s) means 1 watt for 5 seconds or 5 watts for 1 second
1 ampere hour (1A•h) means 1 amp running for 1 hour
10 amp hour (10A•h) means 1 amp running for 10 hours or 10 amps running for 1 hour
1 kilowatt hour (1 kW•h) means 1000 watts for one hour or 3.6 million watts for one second (1000 watts * 3600 seconds per hour)

people often leave out the dot so A•h and Ah are often interchangeably used. same with kW•h and kWh. it's a combo with time.

hopefully this helps the confusion. cheers.

My fridge used 29A total in 12 hours....

Each hour used 2.4A cycling on and off average.

Hope this helps others who aren't nit picky....wow

Total amps used at the battery, or from the fridge at 120V?
Umm - There is a wee bit of confusion swirling around here regarding Amp-Hrs. Amp-Hrs is the product of the number of Amps times number hrs operating with that current ( so we multiply the two ).

Dividing the two (as proposed below) is incorrect:

"Guys, the original numbers are totals of amps used in the 12 hour period. So 5.4A÷12 hour time frame=.45ah (parasitic loads)​
29A÷12 hour time frame=2.41ah (fridge on inverter)"

The reason for this is that Amperes are an instantaneous measurement of current flow (ie. Coulombs per second) and you need to multiply by time to get a total amount of charge. Once you multiply again by voltage you get energy (Watt-Seconds, also known as Joules).

Umm - There is a wee bit of confusion swirling around here regarding Amp-Hrs. Amp-Hrs is the product of the number of Amps times number hrs operating with that current ( so we multiply the two ).

Dividing the two (as proposed below) is incorrect:

"Guys, the original numbers are totals of amps used in the 12 hour period. So 5.4A÷12 hour time frame=.45ah (parasitic loads)​
29A÷12 hour time frame=2.41ah (fridge on inverter)"

The reason for this is that Amperes are an instantaneous measurement of current flow (ie. Coulombs per second) and you need to multiply by time to get a total amount of charge. Once you multiply again by voltage you get energy (Watt-Seconds, also known as Joules).
Yes… but we still don’t know what VOLTAGE the amp measurements are taken from… so…

My fridge used 29A total in 12 hours....

Each hour used 2.4A cycling on and off average.

Hope this helps others who aren't nit picky....wow
I don't see any nit picking. You're not using the correct units for energy.

When we talk about energy we have to use watthours. Amps tell us nothing about energy usage and amp hours are only a bit better.

If I used your method I would say that my wife's new 28 cubic fridge used 3 amps in 12 hours. That fridge look way better than yours but we actually can't tell anything because we aren't using the right units.

Watts (power) = amps x volts

Energy = power x time

Watthours = watts x time

Last edited:
At 7PM I recorded the soc of battery then at 7AM I recorded the soc of battery.....

12v system. 200AH (2 100AH Battleborn batteries in parallel).

1500w psw inverter.....

Last edited:
Purchased 18 cubic feet Midea fridge from Lowes a few months ago. It was the most efficient we found and reasonable price.

Attachments

• Energy Guide MRT18S2AWW.pdf
    215.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 2022.0825.1008_midea_fridge_data_label.jpg
    2022.0825.1008_midea_fridge_data_label.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 17
I'm sure fridges are improved now but still its the same old induction motor with minor refinements thats been used since the 60s
60s?!

Try a lot further back than that. Refrigeration was available in The Great Depression.

Of course in the 1960’s it was pretty important to cool stuff down quickly after you got home and unloaded the grocery store run from the mules and horses. We bought huge jugs of electricity at the pharmacy on the way home and thinned it s bit with water to make it last longer, then refill the wat the next week. That’s where the term, “watts” comes from: WATer Tand Storage.

Ahhhh. Them good old days.

Your refrigerators go through a defrost cycle
Back of my no-defrost Element-brand fridge that I got at Walmart last fall is pictured below.
Paid $225 or $215 for it. 7.5CF and uses about the same as the prior 4.7CF but is actually usable for space.
image.jpg

The reality is that “frost free” heats the same gas so both compartments get the defrost cycle, OR for those that bleed cold air from the freezer to keep the refrigerator cold it is not necessary.

Either way, a 10CF brand new is $300-$650, and buying extra panels is more useful every single day than a fridge that can run a week and a half on a 9V transistor battery.

reservation would be will it run from an off grid inverter, as these LG compressors are described as “linear inverter compressor” I wonder if it might be fussy over the quality of the mains supply it runs from. But maybe it works fine?
Almost any pure sine wave inverter that’s been on the market with success is consistently clean; most often cleaner than the grid (which around here varies even voltage from 117V to 126V daily). I’ve been running one or another 120VAC fridges for three years without issues.

Almost any pure sine wave inverter that’s been on the market with success is consistently clean; most often cleaner than the grid (which around here varies even voltage from 117V to 126V daily). I’ve been running one or another 120VAC fridges for three years without issues.
Our LG Inverter fridge is extremely un-fussy about running off of our Honda inverter generators which we shut down at night. Have run this way for about 4 years now.

Back