diy solar

diy solar

Spain bans offices, bars and shops from setting AC below 80 degrees

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
See https://www.cbsnews.com/news/spain-...es-bars-offices-shops-heat-wave-energy-costs/
I wonder if the law includes funding for the Thermostat police? It'll be interesting to see how the law suits against it go.
BTW: They did this to reduce dependency on Russian gas rather than climate concerns.

If you want to REALLY promote solar, you just need to pass a law like this where you live; except have an exception for solar owners with enough solar to cover the AC. :rolleyes:

It sucks that they have to pass a law in order to get people to act responsibly. Disappointing that people won't do it on their own.

Our home is powered entirely by grid tied solar, and we generate far more energy than the house would normally use for the year. We don't turn the AC on until its above 90 outside, and then it is set to 82 degrees, which is just low enough to allow the AC unit to remove the humidity from the house.
During the winter, we use all that extra solar energy to run electric space heaters, and unless the wood stove is running, we keep the house at about 65 degrees and allow it to drop to around 58 when sleeping.

Its strange, the temperature by which I keep my home voluntarily, sort of match up with the imposed laws they are implementing.

Truth be told, any hotter than 68 degrees in the winter and I'm uncomfortably warm and don't sleep very well. Although I can't say the same about the summer AC cooling, I'm just not willing to lower the thermostat that far because its a massive waste of energy.

What I don't understand about their laws is: Why don't they just let the free market set the energy prices?

Back