diy solar

diy solar

Spdt transfer switches

skoot

During prolong periods of sunless days, I would like to just shutdown the entire solar system. I was considering using 20a spdt switches as a means of switching individual breakers on the critical load panel to another breaker on the main panel. This way I could fire the inverter up when conditions permit and switch individual circuits over from the main to the critical with out having to manually disconnect the hot wire from the breaker on the main and reconnect it to the breaker on the critical and reverse the process when the sun disappears for a extended period. Is this a solution to my problem?

That's how manual transfer switches work, so as long as you choose suitable switches, yes.

Is the concept of just shutting down the inverter when conditions are not advantages to prevent unnecessary ware and tare on the inverter valid?

Sounds reasonable to me

I have another option for you to consider
Off the top of my head I can’t remembe who made these for onan but two three and four pole latching contractors like these are still pretty easy to get
(Later it came to me Arrow Hart made them and other products used for motor starters likely shared parts )
They have both electrical and mechanical actuated contractors that can be remotely operated

Last edited:
Back