diy solar

diy solar

SPF Growatt 5000 ES System. Design review and suggestions

Don't most people that want an off grid converter that is grid tied because they want PV first then battery then grid then generator. Doesn't that cover all the bases. Power no matter what. I'm in the planning process and ready to purchase 30 -395 watt panels. 2 x 6s2p and 1 x 3s2p. Each of the 3 string is wire to 1 of the 3 Growatt SPF 5000 ES inverter. 6 Li Fe EG4 Batteries connected to the inverters. The 3 inverters connected to a separate circuit box with a 50A breaker each. That breaker box set up with 1 or 2 (if safer) split phase Mid point transformers connected with 50A breakers. That breaker box is connected to my home main breaker box with a 60A or 100A breaker (not sure yet) connecting both circuit boxes. The Grid and my 19.5Kw Generac Generator pass through the 200A Transfer switch keeping the grid safe during grid outages is already installed. According to Signature Solar this is the system they want to sell me. Please explain to me why this won't work and what I need to do to make it work. I really don't want to burn my house down trying to improve it. Another question is when the grid goes down I think my generator will auto start even if I have PV or battery power. How could I control that. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, but please keep it simple if possible.
Thats how I did it with the exception of the batteries. I have 16 Northstar Blue 210ah AGMs connected to 3 growatt 240v US wired 5000es inverters. I have 18000watts of used Santan solar solar panels and an 18kw generac. I run off solar, then battery, then the grid at night after 8Pm until 0600.
If the grid goes down and the batteries deplete after sundown, the generac starts up and runs everying and charges the batteries. Once the growatts see the batteries are charged, the generac will stop. Hopefully by then the grid or sun will be back up.
All my power runs through the growatts and the generac auto transfer switch. Grid power comes from the meter to a disconnect panel then to a sub panel with 30amp breakers to each growatt. I don't agree with using 50amp breakers that growatt recommends. Power comes out of each growatt to its own 30amp double breaker in another sub panel. I have 3 auto transformers, each is connected to its own breaker in this same panel. This sub panel feeds the generac panel, and straight to the disconnect at the house. The way I put this together it backups the backup, and I can disconnect or isolate any part of the system. I switched my electric plan to txu free nights and solar days and use the timers and battery settings on the growatts to take advantage of free off-peak electricity to run the house and charge the batteries at night.
I also have a separate system to power my water wells and keep my 50amp camper powered using 6kw of panels and an MPP Solar LVX 6048 hooked to a bunch of walmart deep cycle batteries.

Last edited:
Thats how I did it with the exception of the batteries. I have 16 Northstar Blue 210ah AGMs connected to 3 growatt 5000es inverters. 18000watts of used cheap solar panels and an 18kw generac. I run off solar, then battery, the grid. If the grid goes down and the batteries deplete after sundown, the generac starts up and runs everying and charges the batteries. Once the growatts see the batteries are charged, the generac will stop. Hopefully by then the grid or sun will be back up.
All my power runs through the growatts and the generac auto transfer switch. Grid power comes from the meter to a disconnect panel then to a sub panel with 30amp breakers to each growatt. Power comes out of each growatt to its own 30amp double breaker in another sub panel. Each auto transformer is connected to its own breaker in this same panel. This sub panel feeds the generac panel, and straight to the disconnect at the house. The way I put this together it backups the backup, and I can disconnect or isolate any part of the system. I switched my electric plan to txu free nights and solar days and use the timers on the growatts to take advantage of free off-peak electricity to run the house and charge the batteries.
I also have a separate system to power my water wells and keep my 50amp camper powered using 6kw of panels and an MPP Solar LVX 6048 hooked to a bunch of walmart deep cycle batteries.
I would love to see a video of your setup

Back