diy solar

diy solar

Split phase question.

Madcat41

How do you run a 120v leg and a 240v leg on a split phase inverter if you have to use both 120v outputs to get 240v? Aren't the options two,120 drops, or just one 240?

on a split phase inverter there are 2 line outputs (for example red and black) and a Neutral (white). L1 -black to N -white is 120v L2 -red to N - white is 120v however L1 -black and L2 -red are 180deg out of phase with each other which results in the effective voltage between L1 and L2 of 240v.

A 240v device uses both red and black wires.
A 120v device uses either red and white or black and white.

NOTE: The fact that you do not understand the above information, suggests that there is a strong likelihood you lack the knowledge and experience to safely work with what your asking about.

on a split phase inverter there are 2 line outputs (for example red and black) and a Neutral (white). L1 -black to N -white is 120v L2 -red to N - white is 120v however L1 -black and L2 -red are 180deg out of phase with each other which results in the effective voltage between L1 and L2 of 240v.

NOTE: The fact that you do not understand the above information, suggests that there is a strong likelihood you lack the knowledge and experience to safely work with what your Someone asked me if you could do what I just asked,

NOTE: The fact that you do not understand the above information, suggests that there is a strong likelihood you lack the knowledge and experience to safely work with what your asking about.
I have no experience, hence the question, that still remains. Yes, or no?

No, you do not understand which is why you are still posting 'yes or no'. My advice would be that you do not fiddle with this stuff since you aren't learning anything from the thread nor know what you are doing. Pay someone to set things up for you, better than being dead.

Since you seem to know, my Hybrid LV2424 has an option for 208V when wired in parallel with another unit. Not sure understand what is for. Thoughts? Im not doing it, was just curious when looking at the manual.

You are not asking a yes or no question, the question has been answered to you multiple times. You wire the output to a single pole breaker from L1 or L2 to neutral for 120V, and to a 2-pole breaker from L1 to L2 for 240V.

Edit: Fixed thanks to Hedges' catch. 208V is for 3-phase. This may help, https://pveducation.com/solar-concepts/common-electrical-services/

Last edited:
If you have multiple loads, you would feed 240 as the main input to a critical loads panel, and break out to multiple breakers, single and double pole as needed.

You are not asking a yes or no question, the question has been answered to you multiple times. You wire the output to a single pole breaker from L1 or L2 to neutral for 120V, and to a 2-pole breaker from L1 to L2 for 240V.

208V is for 3-phase, each of the three phases L1, L2, and L3 to neutral is 208V.
Given your experience, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was a slip of the fingers.
For 208V 3-phase, each of the three phases L1, L2, and L3 to neutral is 120V.
Between any two of the three phases is 208V.
Quite a few inverters can be used for either 240V (split phase) or 208V (across two legs of 3-phase)
A few commercial inverters work with all three legs of 3-phase. Often, not 120/208 Y as described above but a higher voltage.

Some properties like apartment/condo may have 3-phase coming in, and they send two hots (red and black) plus neutral and ground to each unit.
In that case electric stove, furnace, AC are likely to run on 208V. Many appliances are OK on either 208 or 240V.

For OP, there are things that can be done wrong in wiring single & split phase 120 & 240. Having one wire go open circuit can burn out appliances. Miss-wiring a Romex 3 + ground cable (red, black, white, bare) can result in overloading a wire and starting a fire without tripping any breakers. Caveat Builder.

Given your experience, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was a slip of the fingers.
For 208V 3-phase, each of the three phases L1, L2, and L3 to neutral is 120V.
Between any two of the three phases is 208V.
Quite a few inverters can be used for either 240V (split phase) or 208V (across two legs of 3-phase)
A few commercial inverters work with all three legs of 3-phase. Often, not 120/208 Y as described above but a higher voltage.

Some properties like apartment/condo may have 3-phase coming in, and they send two hots (red and black) plus neutral and ground to each unit.
In that case electric stove, furnace, AC are likely to run on 208V. Many appliances are OK on either 208 or 240V.

For OP, there are things that can be done wrong in wiring single & split phase 120 & 240. Having one wire go open circuit can burn out appliances. Miss-wiring a Romex 3 + ground cable (red, black, white, bare) can result in overloading a wire and starting a fire without tripping any breakers. Caveat Builder.
Thanks for the catch, was answering that one from my phone and not thinking.

Since you seem to know, my Hybrid LV2424 has an option for 208V when wired in parallel with another unit. Not sure understand what is for. Thoughts? Im not doing it, was just curious when looking at the manual.
208 is used in commercial buildings that use 3 phase power. Electricity is a wave. When the peaks and troughs are exactly opposite they are 180 degrees out of phase. So 120v up to 120v down gives 120v(2) = 240v. Either one to the middle (neutral) gives 120v. In a 3 phase Y system the waves are 120 degrees out of phase so each peak is multiplied by 1.73 so 120v(1.73) = 208v. You shouldn't be dealing with 3 phase power.

How do you run a 120v leg and a 240v leg on a split phase inverter if you have to use both 120v outputs to get 240v? Aren't the options two,120 drops, or just one 240?
I see what you are asking. Do you understand the difference between series and parallel wiring? A house for example is a 240v full phase. It has 2 hot legs and one neutral. If you want a 120v circuit, your circuit comes from 1 leg and goes back via the neutral wire. If you are wiring a 240v circuit, you do not use the neutral wire, but instead use one hot leg on one side, and the other hot leg on the other side. Circuits can be made using either leg, A or B and going back to the same neutral or "common." It's good practice to balance the load or amp draw between each leg. But really, if you don't understand this, maybe you should hire someone.

The 120/240 volts available are not different phases. They are the same phase split in half by wiring. But still one phase. With commercial three phase feeds it mostly takes a lot more than just a center tap to find 240/120V.

With 120/208Y, you can generate 120/240V split phase with grounded neutral by adding a 120/240V auto transformer.
"240V stinger ground" is a 3-phase configuration with 120/240V split phase included.
Lots of ways to get 120/240V out of anything carrying a sine wave. It is 3-phase that is hard to come by, needs either electronics or rotating machinery to generate it from single phase.

Two, 120V inverters running unsynchronized won't give you what you want, but a number of inverters and some (inverter?) generators use a signal or data wire to synchronize. Sunny Island systems will deliver single, split, or 3-phase. Others like Outback do too.

I understand. So, yes or no?
I empathize with your confusion here, as there quite a bit of a learning curve for the layperson (cough cough, me) when it comes to electrical systems. But if you are still seeking a yes or no answer after the answers you have received, I think you you need to accept you don't yet fully understand, and reread some of the answers given.

If you are a visual learner like I am, some visual examples might help convey the concept:

No, poco 240vac is single phase. | DIY Home Improvement Forum

https://i.stack.imgur.com/H8fZf.png

Generating a 120/240 Volt split phase power supply from an inverter

You may also find this video + article useful:

Back