diy solar

diy solar

Split Phase, Single Phase, Parallel for LV6548

I have my LV6548's in split phase operation (US) I am using a 60a 2p breaker from my main panel to feed them. The only worry I have is with the shared neutral. Each inverter can output 54a so there is a potential to draw 108a total. Not likely that the unbalanced load (neutral) will ever see that, but in theory it is possible. Breakers are common trip so if either leg draws over 60 amps the 2 pole should trip. I still am running tests on my system, I but don't like the fact that the neutral is shared between the inverters without being able to accept wire sizing for 100a or a double neutral.

Just my thoughts
No, it is not possible for the neutral on the shared split phase to ever see more than 54A
180 out of phase means the neutral is always balanced to any output from either or both inverter.
Only way for it to draw higher is if they were both outputting on the same cycle.

If any leg were drawing max, and the other leg drew any, it would balance the other leg. So, 54A on one leg and 54A on the other is still 54A on the neutral.

Pictures..?
This is what the feed to my house looks like

1617330254371.png

A few things to notice.
1) The White banding on the Neutral is the NEC approved way to mark a black wire that is being used for Neutral.
2) The steel support wire for the feed is also the Neutral for the feed.
3) No ground wire comes from the Utility.

From my experience, this is pretty typical for residential 240V Split phase feeds in the United States.

I have my LV6548's in split phase operation (US) I am using a 60a 2p breaker from my main panel to feed them. The only worry I have is with the shared neutral. Each inverter can output 54a so there is a potential to draw 108a total. Not likely that the unbalanced load (neutral) will ever see that, but in theory it is possible. Breakers are common trip so if either leg draws over 60 amps the 2 pole should trip. I still am running tests on my system, I but don't like the fact that the neutral is shared between the inverters without being able to accept wire sizing for 100a or a double neutral.

Just my thoughts
I only have a single LV6548, but i am thinking wouldn't using 2 breakers, one for each inverter, located on opposite main panel sides (phases) be a better approach?

Back