diy solar

diy solar

Split RV 50A breaker panel into 2 panels?

brdcrtr

I'm installing a Victron 12/3000 120v into my RV that has a 50A split phase service (USA 240v). My generator is an Onan 5500 which has two 120v 30A outputs, single phase.

My old inverter is fed off a breaker and then on to a switch that I can switch a few outlets in the RV between the inverter output or the transfer switch (which gives me shore or generator power).

I wanted to make the system more streamlined and I don't have any room for a sub panel so I was thinking of replacing the breaker panel with separate Blue Sea 8412 panels. One panel will be inverter power that I can wire my microwave and wall outlets into. The other panel would be other devices that I would only run while on shore or generator power.

Is there a requirement or safety concern with splitting a 240v 50A feed like this? When on shore power if one leg trips the breaker must the other leg get disabled at the same time? Nothing in my RV uses 240v.

How would I bond the natural for shore and generator power? Bond the two sides together where the red line is in my drawing so I have a proper natural while on shore or generator power?

SCR-20220216-c21.png

Do you expect to power up the panel with the generator and inverter at the same time?

Back