diy solar

diy solar

Sportsman 4kw lpg

AmpD

Hi everyone, Thanks for stopping by. I wanted to make sure I understood my generator properly so I don't blow it.

Generator: SportsmanLPG 7HP

information from above linked pdf...

4Kw Surge 3.25Kw Cont.

Type: Brush, Revolving Magnetic Field, Self Exciting, 2-Pole, Single Phase

Receptacles:

2* 120V 15A Outlets (rated 2*20a 60hz)

30 Amp RV Outlet*

12V DC 10Amp rated 8.3Amp circut break (batt. charger only)

*Warning Note: Even though this Model GEN4000LP Portable LP Generator has an overall rated wattage of 4000, do not attempt to draw more than 3250
Watts (20 A) combined from any of the outlets. Draws higher than 2400 Watts (20 A) will damage this generator

I interpret this all to mean. It is capable of outputing 2.4KW @ 120V max Constant Draw despite its claim of 3.25Kw. That 3.25Kw is really the surge watt limit. The RV socket allows for 3.6Kw draws. The two househould style sockets also allow for 3.6KW when combined and this exceeds the actual limits of the Genny. That the way it is wired I can get 1.8Kw of 120V from each household outlet. Should I need to run a 20 amp 120V device which is the limit of my genset I would need to A) adapt the 30A RV receptacle with a 20A style plug adapter or B) install a 20A style receptical in place of 1 of the existing 15A recepticals. Correct?

Does 60Hz mean Pure Sign or is this still "dirty" power? Hoping I understood the difference between pure sign and modified.

Is the built in 12v dc battery charging crap? 8.3A * 12v is 100w an hour right? on a 300 ah battery that would be 384 hours to charge wouldn't it?

I am looking at 300ah batteries possibly 400ah but that is a different thread. Is there a specific LiFePo4 or variable type charger that would be a good fit for my cheapskate genny?

Last edited:
It will definitely say "Inverter" somewhere if it has one.

I believe you could in theory get a pure sine wave out of a non-inverter generator, but is will be dependent on the motor having enough rotating mass that any changes in load don't overload or underload the engine faster than the governor can respond.

In practice if it doesn't say anything about it having a low THD (total harmonic distortion) - a measure of the "cleanness" of the waveform - then you should probably assume it isn't going to produce very high quality power output.

Back