diy solar

diy solar

Sprinter + 14 foot enclosed trailer

Hooch44v

My idea...put solar system in enclosed trailer.
I have the growatt 24v 3k all in one. I plan on purchasing 2 24v 170ah batteries from big battery. I also need solar panels. I want put the panels on top of a couple sets of aluminum ladder racks on the trailer. It's a v nose trailer but the main portion is 14' x 8'.

Suggestions for solar panels to fit that area and how to run them. The growatt has a max open circuit voltage of 145 and an 80 amp mppt.

I initially was going to mount everything inside the trailer. I have since changed to putting it on a hand truck that will be locked in place and obviously removable. I want to use a form of quick connects to power 12 v loads in trailer. Just an extension cord for any 110 loads.

I also need power in the sprinter van. I'm trying to figure out a good way to do that without moving the cart. I have limited space in the van because I'm in a wheelchair.

1st thought .from a bus bar run another set of positive and negative wires still at 24v to a quick connect (possibly a very heavy duty anderson) to the end of trailer hitch. Then continue in the van to another 24 to 12 v step down and a second 12v fuse block. Not sure but don't know of a way to accomplish that with 110. ( Maybe extension cord to tongue also) that maybe funky

2nd idea run everything from trailer 12v fuse panel that will be next to the growatt in the trailer to the sprinter.

3rd idea have two separate battery banks that can both be charged by the solar on the trailer. Not sure if that could be accomplished at the same time because of the different lengths of wire to each battery bank or?

I only need more power (than the van can provide), usually at night because that is where I sleep .

And lastly, I guess I could put the battery bank in the van only and keep the growatt in trailer.

IM not interested in putting solar panels on the van at this Time

Thank you for any input. Sorry for the length of text.

Let’s start at the beginning, and Do the Math.

what are the loads in each vehicle? Both 120v and 12/24v we need to know - voltage, watts, amps, how long per day it is on.

For example:
Hair dryer 120v 1500w 12.5amps .1hours/day (6min).
Make the list for each vehicle, also we need to know what can/will be on at the same time.

The reason is while I suspect a 3k inverter and 340ah @24v battery is very adequate - it would not be the first time someone didn’t do the math and had a bigger draw that what their equipment could handle and was disappointed after spending a bunch of money.

Now if you have already done that - Great ! (We don’t really need the details - just the totals).

To get power into the Van, I like the idea of 24v power pole connections, then in the van a 24 to 12v converter. For the 120v - if using an extension cord - use the “twist- lock” connectors - less likely to just pull out. I would have a power switch in the trailer, so after you connect the wires, you turn on power to the van area.

A few other items - get a good battery monitor- I would use the Victron BMV712 or Smartshunt- because you can check the battery level with Bluetooth on your phone.

Only go with one battery- keep it simple.

Also, a DC-DC 12to24v charger may be nice/needed to charge the batteries when the engine is running. Think about running the wires now- so if it is needed it will be easier to install.

Solar Panels - how many watts do you need? Do you have a more exact measurement? assuming 96" x 168".

https://www.continuousresources.com...200w-36-cell-12v-nominal-solar-panel-5-busbar
That is the panel I put on my RV. It has worked well. (Also check out used panels (they are cheaper) on craigslist, ebay, etc. SunTanSolar has some used 250w panels for $50 in Az.). You could easily get 6 panels of the one I linked above into that space. 1200Watts - 50 amps - Do you need that much? With different panels you might even get more or save more with other panels.
You will also need to mount them. (I am assuming the trailer is an enclosed trailer).

Check out -
For some ideas on panel mounting.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the informative response. I will get the exact measurements. I will also start getting the loads and get back to you. I appreciate it.

Back