diy solar

diy solar

Square-D circuit breaker

tweekzilla

Anyone familiar with Square-D circuit breakers? I just ordered the following on ebay and now I'm thinking it might not be a shunt-trip but only has an aux switch:

P/N is KHL3625025DC2350 (W/ AUX SWITCH SHUNT TRIP) but I cannot find any details in the datasheet for the DC or P/N after the KHL36250....

I bought a new small dist panel and it said it's a SquareD. The rest of my "house" breakers are SquareD and I had a few spare breakers I wanted to use in the new Dist panel. Found out I was wrong. There are Two types of breakers. I had to take the Dist panel back and I've not found a panel yeat that will work. The panel I bought used "QO" breakers. My home panel uses type "HOM" breakers. Very confusing. Maybe someone can clear this up for both of us.

Sq D has 2 lines of Panels. (Well really more but adequate for this discussion) The HOM breaker is their "Big Box" home improvement brand. The QO breaker is the one Electrical contractors have been using for 50+ years.

I bought a new small dist panel and it said it's a SquareD. The rest of my "house" breakers are SquareD and I had a few spare breakers I wanted to use in the new Dist panel. Found out I was wrong. There are Two types of breakers. I had to take the Dist panel back and I've not found a panel yeat that will work. The panel I bought used "QO" breakers. My home panel uses type "HOM" breakers. Very confusing. Maybe someone can clear this up for both of us.
Yeah, many manufacturers have a copper panel, and an aluminum panel. Eaton has the ch line and the BR line. Square D as mentioned has he Hom line, and the QO line. QO is the copper bussbar, hom is the aluminum knife connect line.

What are you trying to accomplish?

I've only used Square-D QO Boxes & Breakers for my renovations (houses) and when I built my current offgrid home as well. Readily available for replacements if required, and they have a Huge Assortment of Breakers including oddballls and specialty ones and I must say, very reasonably priced to boot.

They do have a DC Rating BUT DO NOT USE FOR DC ! They are NOT intended for DC.
Use only proper DC Breaker for DC applications.

I've only used Square-D QO Boxes & Breakers for my renovations (houses) and when I built my current offgrid home as well. Readily available for replacements if required, and they have a Huge Assortment of Breakers including oddballls and specialty ones and I must say, very reasonably priced to boot.

They do have a DC Rating BUT DO NOT USE FOR DC ! They are NOT intended for DC.
Use only proper DC Breaker for DC applications.
@5ka, the interrupt is fairly low, but why not use for dc, especially when considering they are similar in price to those cheap Chinese polarized breakers that go poof?

The Square D QO and QOB are also rated for 48v dc @5ka interrupt.

Square D QO and QOB datasheet
AFAIK they are just fine for DC systems. *Assuming you are following common best practice of providing a fuse of appropriate AIC rating as close to the battery as possible like you should be.

But I don't think this thread is about using them for DC applications.

Also I've never been sure but but I believe if you want to use them on systems with nominal voltage above 36 volts you have to use 2P pole breakers and in that case they are "Square D" rated for up to 125vdc.

"The QO, single phase, main lug load centers are SQUARE D CERTIFIED for use on 125 VDC systems. The load centers listed ARE NOT MARKED for use on this voltage system, however are suitable for the application. The positive (+) conductor should be connected to one phase lug, while the negative (-) conductor should be connected to the other phase lug. USE QO, 2p BRANCH BREAKERS ONLY. QO branch breakers, 10 - 70 ampere, are also SQUARE D CERTIFIED for use on 125 Vdc systems. Short circuit current rating is limited to 4 kAIC (10 - 30 A) or 10 kAIC (35 - 70 A) when used on 125 Vdc.

I'd like to find that data sheet verifying 125vdc.

But yeah, maybe the op was not intending to use them for dc. Seen op's mention of 'aux switch' and just assumed, although I do think these breakers would be a better option than the cheap polarized breakers.

Twice. I like data sheets, not some company talking head.
Twice? Lol Oh boy. Why don't you test in them in your lab and report back? Do you really think that Schneider with an army of EE's and lawyers is going to let a document like that stay up on the internet for years if they couldn't back it up?

Thanks for your time. The first link was the same as in post#4, but the second one is somewhat helpful. It appears prices for some of the 500vdc DC Rated Thermal-Magnetic Molded Case Circuit Breakers that you posted, can be in excess of $5k. Ouch. Don't think these are the same 125vdc breakers we were referencing.

Twice? Lol Oh boy. Why don't you test in them in your lab and report back? Do you really think that Schneider with an army of EE's and lawyers is going to let a document like that stay up on the internet for years if they couldn't back it up?
Where's the data sheet? All those EE's and lawyers surely produced a data sheet.
Not sure about you, but we do not build systems on company talking heads advice without supporting data.

Where's the data sheet? All those EE's and lawyers surely produced a data sheet.
Not sure about you, but we do not build systems on company talking heads advice without supporting data.
You've totally lost me. You're on a thread about AC breakers randomly volunteering information about the DC rating or lack thereof a breaker that is primarily used for AC systems when no one has asked about that. Now you're trying to turn it into what systems your company does or doesn't build but this is a DIY forum. You might want to stop now. I'm certainly done with your silliness.

Haven't been following the thread have you. In the first post, the OP states " ... cannot find any details in the datasheet for the DC or P/N after the KHL36250.... ".

It appears that asking for a data sheet on some hard to find information, that you introduced into this thread, is now silliness. Oddly enough, in the thread you are replying to, the OP is also having difficulty finding pertinent information.

Last edited:
Haven't been following the thread have you. In the first post, the OP states " ... cannot find any details in the datasheet for the DC or P/N after the KHL36250.... ".

It appears that asking for a data sheet on some hard to find information, that you introduced into this thread, is now silliness. Oddly enough, in the thread you are replying to, the OP is also having difficulty finding pertinent information.
I can't quite follow your sentence structure but let me me say I LOVED your first unedited response. Seriously, it was solid gold. (y)? You really should have left it up. I'm truly sad that I didn't screen shot it.

The OP who's been absent since the day they made the post a year and half ago has nothing to do with this.

Anyway... You're perfectly reasonable to ask for a data sheet once. Twice was not reasonable, particularly when I was clearly offering something that was only Square D Certified to begin with. FWIW, I made the reasonable assumption that you failed to follow the hyperlink which is stunningly commonplace here. So rather than appreciating that I took the time to respond and make sure you had the link you took a shot at me. LOL.

Peace out!

In the year 19 and 96 (or so) my retired Elec.Eng. neighbor/friend assured me I could use Square D QO for my solar system. It’s been here all these years.

Back