diy solar

diy solar

SS EG4 12V 400AH - Disappointing BMS

Richard, I have a couple people from SS reach out. One said the well pump was too big for one battery... Not sure how based on the load. I attached a screenshot from when the pump kicks on. The other person asked for 1-21 setting which I provided.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.PNG
    IMG_0491.PNG
    459.3 KB · Views: 39
For whatever it’s worth.. here’s a view of the EG4 BMS that came out of my 400ah 12v Lifepower battery next to an Overkill 120a BMS

EG4 build quality and finish is definitely superior…. Cooling fins on the back as well

Just wish their software worked

EG4 on Left

F5069A10-1060-4DB0-A133-D12ACBF4C73D.jpeg2F473C64-2AB8-4E1A-B999-9C682D1C5F2D.jpeg

For whatever it’s worth.. here’s a view of the EG4 BMS that came out of my 400ah 12v Lifepower battery next to an Overkill 120a BMS

EG4 build quality and finish is definitely superior…. Cooling fins on the back as well

Just wish their software worked

EG4 on Left

View attachment 93553View attachment 93554
How did your swap go as it relates to the following:
1.ease of swapping bms and wire harness.
2.features/components that could be retained from the eg4 battery besides the cells.
3.Performance of overkill vs eg4 bms after change.

Thanks in advance.

How did your swap go as it relates to the following:
1.ease of swapping bms and wire harness.
2.features/components that could be retained from the eg4 battery besides the cells.
3.Performance of overkill vs eg4 bms after change.

Thanks in advance.

1. Ridiculously easy. Harness plug from EG4 BMS is identical to overkill BMS and all the leads are in the same spot. Didn’t have to move any wires at all.

2. None

3. Working perfectly, balancing as expected and A/C fires up without issue

I sure would like to figure out who actually manufactures that EG4 12V BMS.

Will Prowse, how about you finally put this issue to the test. Seems to me the batteries probably work fine EXCEPT when there is an inrush > 10 to 15 amps. Just to test the theory I may order an overkill BMS and do a video of EG4 stock vs with different BMS.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 8.00.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 8.00.06 AM.png
    692 KB · Views: 29
Will Prowse, how about you finally put this issue to the test. Seems to me the batteries probably work fine EXCEPT when there is an inrush > 10 to 15 amps. Just to test the theory I may order an overkill BMS and do a video of EG4 stock vs with different BMS.

Agreed.

Mine worked perfectly fine with both my water heater and coffee make running at the same time.

It’s a BMS Software Inrush Glitch because the numbers say it should be a non issue

I installed an stellar soft start and even reducing by 30% it still trips. I think I’m just going to design a battery and order a bunch.

I installed an stellar soft start and even reducing by 30% it still trips. I think I’m just going to design a battery and order a bunch.
Yep you can even pick up the breakers and make case for your pack.
The only that thats a bit hard to get is the battery lug post

I'm working with Amy Wan to design/build a 12v 280ah battery with case and BMS with precharge feature.

I'm not sure how anyone could recommend SS:
  • Misleading or at least inaccurate documentation - Advertising bluetooth but no bluetooth, 200ah rating with BMS that goes into protection at 100ah, etc.
  • Component knowledge - Doesn't seem like SS even knows the password to access the BMS. For that matter they don't even know who makes their BMS.
  • Warranty - So there's Zappos that will send you replacement shoes and say just keep the other ones for the inconvenience and then there's SS that refuses to send customers replacements or make it right when their BMS doesn't met specs.
  • Support - See above. In my case it's been radio silence from SS for a week after I sent them my 1-21 settings from Growatt. I'm going to replace my own BMS because clearly they won't.
Buyer beware!

• Misleading or at least inaccurate documentation - Advertising bluetooth but no bluetooth, 200ah rating with BMS that goes into protection at 100ah, etc.
  • Component knowledge - Doesn't seem like SS even knows the password to access the BMS. For that matter they don't even know who makes their BMS.
  • Warranty - So there's Zappos that will send you replacement shoes and say just keep the other ones for the inconvenience and then there's SS that refuses to send customers replacements or make it right when their BMS doesn't met specs.
  • Support - See above. In my case it's been radio silence from SS for a week after I sent them my 1-21 settings from Growatt. I'm going to replace my own BMS because clearly they won't.
Buyer beware!
So you are usijg this with a growatt.
An inverter SS battery supposed to work with flawlessly?

Buyer beware!
Don't forget all the other shady stuff... chargers that were not putting out the amps that they claimed, es5000 issue that could have easily been avoided with a sticker, $500 battery rack that can't even secure the lifepower battery modules that it is designed for.

It was like pulling teeth but i finally got them to do the right thing for me. After two months of them trying to fix my issue and dropping the ball repeatedly, they finally took my advice and swapped my lifepower batteries for the LL models that were having no inverter startup issues. Of course, that is after they tried to give me "open box" used batteries. Two of the boxes were open and had batteries that clearly were not in factory packaging. I asked Richard what the deal was and he said "i'm not sure if they have even been hooked up to an inverter" Geesh. After shutting down my off grid system and driving all the way up there and everything.

My experience with Signature Solar was weird to say the least. I felt like they wanted to fix my issue, especially Richard, or at least try but they were just so bad about nearly everything. Calls/emails not returned. Inadequate, uninformed tech dept., excuse after excuse....

Over the two months i was waiting for a fix for my batteries, i kept getting the feedback from SS that this was a bms issue that it should be able to be fixed. During that time Signature never made a single change to my battery's settings despite days and days of time on the phone, computer etc..

Total waste of time and money imo.

Replaced the BMS with an Overkill BMS and now it works fine. Not one fault since then. Definitely an issue with the BMS shipped. It's a shame because replacing it gets rid of the BMS port, lights, etc. However I do use the bluetooth app for the Overkill and it works flawlessly.

Replaced the BMS with an Overkill BMS and now it works fine. Not one fault since then. Definitely an issue with the BMS shipped. It's a shame because replacing it gets rid of the BMS port, lights, etc. However I do use the bluetooth app for the Overkill and it works flawlessly.

Awesome!

Glad to hear!

Back