diy solar

diy solar

SS EG4 12V 400AH - Disappointing BMS

They don't seem to be of the highest quality, I would consider swapping them eventually. But otherwise I addressed your concerns yea?
If you don't mind my asking where did you get the diagram?

If we are going off of that video I would disagree. He turns "on" the inverter after turning "on" the battery. I am turning "on" the inverter before turning "on" the battery. Is there another procedure somewhere that I am unaware of. Not mentioned in manual. It even says that you should do the opposite in the manual.

View attachment 100317
did you even watch the video ?
order of turning on is :
1. breaker on
2. battery (s) on ( at that point capacitor pre-charge is done )
3. turn inverter(s) on

did you even watch the video ?
order of turning on is :
1. breaker on
2. battery (s) on ( at that point capacitor pre-charge is done )
3. turn inverter(s) on
yes. i'm not sure where the confusion is here. But to be absolutely clear your step 3 is to turn on the inverter. What I have tried to indicate is that is my step 1. So yes, what worked for me is different than the video.

yes. i'm not sure where the confusion is here. But to be absolutely clear your step 3 is to turn on the inverter. What I have tried to indicate is that is my step 1. So yes, what worked for me is different than the video.
I doubt it matters much where in the process you turn on the inverter.
The key point is closing the inverter breaker before you close the battery breaker.

I'm running a EG4 24v (no screen) battery with a Aeliussine 2000 watt 24v Pure Sine Wave Inverter. I have been trying everything under the sun to start this inverter without the BMS faulting... NO success. I've tried every suggestion tossed out from SS... including installing their recommended, expensive, "true Fast Snap" breaker instead of the heavy duty (cheap & slow) car battery disconnect switch I've been using (see photo below). Nothing worked... including everything you've read in the above posts. I've tried numerous different pre-charge resistors to slow the capacitor inrush. All failed.

UNTIL I tried a 50w / 25ohm wire wound resistor from Amazon... $9 for two (I used only one). I had other folk telling me that I should REDUCE the size of the resistor... glad I didn't as I had already been trying several different smaller sized resistors without success.

Inverter Switch 1.jpg

It WORKED... every time!! Keep in mind I've been working on this since March !!!
As others have suggested you just have to set up a parallel line from the battery to the inverter that includes this resistor AND a momentary button switch (see photo). The wire can be small gauge (12awg in my case) since current is reduced by the resistor and only runs for a few seconds. I know this thread is discussing a 12v EG4 system and mine is 24v but I would think that they both should work similarly.

My procedure is as follows...
1) the main line from the 24v EG4 battery to my 12v RV breaker panel is on... via a Victron 70A 24v-to-12v step-down converter.
2) the 50A Epever solar controller and panels (600w in my case) are all connected (not enough capacity to use the "Solar Start" EG4 method others have suggested).
3) the inverter (on-box) switch is on. Not using the remote switch.
4) I hold down the momentary "pre-charge" button which causes the inverter to begin beeping and it's status screen to begin flashing due to a low-voltage state (capacitor inrush is stealing everything the resistors are allowing through).
5) after about 3 or 4 beeps (about 5 seconds) the inverter goes silent and I can see that the status screen has also stopped flashing, indicating a non-error state.
6) now, WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN THE BUTTON, I flip the master inverter switch (keyed hole at center in photo). The red-handled switch on the right (photo) is just an example of what this type of switch looks like in back and with red handle inserted.
7) only now do I release the momentary pre-charge button.
8) the inverter screen stays on and I... at LONG last... am a very Happy Camper !!!

@RichardfromEG4

I'm running a EG4 24v (no screen) battery with a Aeliussine 2000 watt 24v Pure Sine Wave Inverter. I have been trying everything under the sun to start this inverter without the BMS faulting... NO success. I've tried every suggestion tossed out from SS... including installing their recommended, expensive, "true Fast Snap" breaker instead of the heavy duty (cheap & slow) car battery disconnect switch I've been using (see photo below). Nothing worked... including everything you've read in the above posts. I've tried numerous different pre-charge resistors to slow the capacitor inrush. All failed.

UNTIL I tried a 50w / 25ohm wire wound resistor from Amazon... $9 for two (I used only one). I had other folk telling me that I should REDUCE the size of the resistor... glad I didn't as I had already been trying several different smaller sized resistors without success.

View attachment 100548

It WORKED... every time!! Keep in mind I've been working on this since March !!!
As others have suggested you just have to set up a parallel line from the battery to the inverter that includes this resistor AND a momentary button switch (see photo). The wire can be small gauge (12awg in my case) since current is reduced by the resistor and only runs for a few seconds. I know this thread is discussing a 12v EG4 system and mine is 24v but I would think that they both should work similarly.

My procedure is as follows...
1) the main line from the 24v EG4 battery to my 12v RV breaker panel is on... via a Victron 70A 24v-to-12v step-down converter.
2) the 50A Epever solar controller and panels (600w in my case) are all connected (not enough capacity to use the "Solar Start" EG4 method others have suggested).
3) the inverter (on-box) switch is on. Not using the remote switch.
4) I hold down the momentary "pre-charge" button which causes the inverter to begin beeping and it's status screen to begin flashing due to a low-voltage state (capacitor inrush is stealing everything the resistors are allowing through).
5) after about 3 or 4 beeps (about 5 seconds) the inverter goes silent and I can see that the status screen has also stopped flashing, indicating a non-error state.
6) now, WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN THE BUTTON, I flip the master inverter switch (keyed hole at center in photo). The red-handled switch on the right (photo) is just an example of what this type of switch looks like in back and with red handle inserted.
7) only now do I release the momentary pre-charge button.
8) the inverter screen stays on and I... at LONG last... am a very Happy Camper !!!

@RichardfromEG4
What a work around. Thanks for the detailed solution. I think I will have to give it a shot. My method turned out to not be reliable. So this and replacing the BMS are the only solutions I have found. Really dissapointed in the money spent on this product. Meanwhile this all in one great battery is not useful as a battery.

@RichardfromSignatureSolar
Richard,
It would be tricky from an HR standpoint at first, but you might want want to consider "tiering support" and having an escalation policy for troubling issues....

I was finally able to spend some time swapping out the BMS. It works fine now.

SS ultimately admitted that this is an issue after putting me through a multitude of tests to troubleshoot the issue. They were nice enough to offer taking the battery back. Never spoke about shipping but the offer was a refund for the battery or a 20% off coupon for another one. They admitted that a second battery may not solve the problem. I decided to void the warranty and just swap the BMS out. It was really easy to do. I could not find any 7 gauge lugs anywhere but other than that it works. Double sided tape for the BMS.

Wired it up for the inverter and it starts up without issue. I am even able to still use the switch for the battery.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 34
I thought I should update that since the EG4 firmware update to the BMS, I've been able to start both my 3/4hp well pump and a portable dehumidifier compressor of which both would trip the BMS on startup. I have single 48V 100ah EG4 and a Sungold Power 6000W (18000W startup) inverter/charger. Happy they made the firmware update:

I thought I should update that since the EG4 firmware update to the BMS, I've been able to start both my 3/4hp well pump and a portable dehumidifier compressor of which both would trip the BMS on startup. I have single 48V 100ah EG4 and a Sungold Power 6000W (18000W startup) inverter/charger. Happy they made the firmware update:
Yea I think the firmware fixed it for most folks. Unfortunately my battery is the lil dinky version that was not eligable for the firmware update.

I was finally able to spend some time swapping out the BMS. It works fine now.

SS ultimately admitted that this is an issue after putting me through a multitude of tests to troubleshoot the issue. They were nice enough to offer taking the battery back. Never spoke about shipping but the offer was a refund for the battery or a 20% off coupon for another one. They admitted that a second battery may not solve the problem. I decided to void the warranty and just swap the BMS out. It was really easy to do. I could not find any 7 gauge lugs anywhere but other than that it works. Double sided tape for the BMS.

Wired it up for the inverter and it starts up without issue. I am even able to still use the switch for the battery.

Awesome! Glad this worked out! Happy to help!

Are the issues with the EG4-LL 12V 400 discussed here fully resolved?

I am planning to buy two of the EG4-LL for my RV, if all issues have been resolved.

I would really appreciate your reply

I have a Xantrex Freedom SW 2012 2000W inverter / Charger in my 2018 Dynamax Isata5. Have you tested the EG4-LL with this inverter charger?

THanks

I am planning to buy two of the EG4-LL for my RV, if all issues have been resolved.

I have a Xantrex Freedom SW 2012 2000W inverter / Charger in my 2018 Dynamax Isata5. Have you tested the EG4-LL with this inverter charger?

THanks
@BenFromSignatureSolar

THanks
I think the firmware update solved all the issuies for most people. As long as you get the battery that has the breaker on the front the new firmware has taken care of the issues as far as I know.

THanks
I have 2 12v 400Ah batteries that I purchased less than a month ago. Both batteries are not working properly. I'm not very happy with the support at SS. Very slow and I get the feeling they just give you and answer to try to get you to go away.
I am hopeful that they will get me some new batteries or offer up some solution soon. It's getting very old dealing with them.

I have 2 12v 400Ah batteries that I purchased less than a month ago. Both batteries are not working properly. I'm not very happy with the support at SS. Very slow and I get the feeling they just give you and answer to try to get you to go away.
I am hopeful that they will get me some new batteries or offer up some solution soon. It's getting very old dealing with them.
would you mind DMing your email address and we can get you taken care of?

THanks
I'm not able to find the LL version of the EG4 12V 400. It's odd because the website pic shows a EG4-LL 12V 400 but it doesn't look at all like the 24V or 48V with the display. Also, on the LL page (https://signaturesolar.com/shop-all/batteries/eg4-ll/) at SS there is no 12V option.1668989455566.png

Back