diy solar

diy solar

SSR testing

Craig

Watts are Watts!
Staff member
Hopefully tonight I will be able to test my SSR's I have 250 Amp and 500 Amp ones. Obviously the first test is weather or not they work. I was also going to run them under load and check temperature often to see how they heat up with and without a heat sink. Does anybody have any other tests they would like to see.
also i will test the current draw from the load source like the Chargery

Ok so test 1 with 200 Amp SSR . I was able to run 60 Amps at 24 volts just fine I did this for about 15 minutes.
  • The current draw from the control side at 12V was .1 amp so 1.2 watts.
  • Voltage drop at 60 amps across relay was .9V (seems way high to me but i do not know what to expect) battery was at 30.0v load side of SSR 29.1v
  • For this test I used no heat sink as I couldnt find one. the relay got to 160 Degrees F (not at all sustainable IMO)
I ordered some heat sinks and have a 240A and a 500A relay on order thought those were the ones I was getting but they are still coming.

Should I be cycling the relay under load as well to see what happens?

Sounds like some interesting testing going on. Thanks for posting your results. Provide some photos and what SSR you are testing. How do you plan to heat sink them?

Craig, the 20oA relay hit 160F with 60A flowing through it ? is that right ?? sheesh, scratching head
That doesn't seem right to me.

What relays are you tinkering with ? Someone in another thread yesterday mention the Blue Sea L & ML Relays but they are MSRP $230+/- a pop (not an option imo) as it seems a tad over the top on pricing.

Craig, the 20oA relay hit 160F with 60A flowing through it ? is that right ?? sheesh, scratching head

What relays are you tinkering with ? Someone in another thread yesterday mention the Blue Sea L & ML Relays but they are MSRP $230+/- a pop (not an option imo) as it seems a tad over the top on pricing.
Yeah that heat is pretty high but is a good bit of amps for 15min. I mention the Blue Sea ones but mostly as a reference to the Alibaba ones someone had posted. Thinking those they posted was pretty much the same but at $5x.

That doesn't surprise me too much. Chinese relay (so high Rdson mosfets because less $) + no heatsink = high temp. Also the Rdson rises with temperature (that's why mosfets are subject to thermal runaway) so the Vdrop should be a bit lower (0.7 V maybe?) with a heatsink.

What might be interesting cost-wise is to buy a cheap SSR like this one and replace the mosfet(s) with better one(s).

I would not want to buy anything that needs to be modded off the shelf... that's a bodge isn't it... I believe Craig mentioned that he's playing with US made ones in another thread. Hopefully he'll enlighten us as to what brand / type he's tinkering with.

Well, you can see it like that or you can see it like you buy a base that as everything you need and you improve the weak link. The other solutions are to buy a proper but expensive SSR, or to design it from scratch. That's why I think it's a good solution.

If it's a US made SSR then it's a very very crappy one because 54 W lost at barely 1/3 of the current rating is not acceptable. It'll dissipate more than half a kW at 200 A (I²R...) so unless you watercool it it'll just go nuclear...

No these are Chinese relays I have ordered samples from 2 manufacturers. After i make proper tests and know more about what I am doing I have about 10 more manufacturers to check out.
At what price range would you all find acceptable for a SSR vs a regular relay like chargery sells. I was hoping for somethng equal in price but that may not be possible.

I think at that price range 55 ish or so would be awesome. I had found something while back I was watching on ebay that was around 79 If I recall correctly.

You can definitely make a correct 200 A 80 V SSR (i.e. less than 20 W dissipation (< 0.1 V of Vdrop) @ 200 A) for far less than 55 USD (and even cheaper if the voltage you handle is lower than that), especially if you make them in high volumes.

Yumpin Yiminies !
So let the screeching cat out of the bag... how much were those beastly creatures ?
BTW, it would be good to see pics of the different relay's your playing with, any spec info too.

Well I think we may have a winner!

Tested this

0320201735_HDR.jpg

After 15 minutes at 50 Amps Temperature was only 71 Degrees F. Voltage drop was 0.1 V and Controll load draw at 12Volts was 0.34 Amp

This 240 Amp relay will be about $40.00 including the beefy heat sink ($6.00)
The 500 Amp relay I will test Tomorrow but It is quite a bit more expensive $100 including heat Sink. It has max voltage of 75Volts

I do not have a spec sheet as this is what distributor recommended and sent me to try.

Its obvious by the lack of Voltage drop across the relay that these would produce much less heat in fact when I was running just lights and a nominal 6A load the relay was at ambient Temp.

Nice ?

The temp was with or without the heatsink?

Any chance to open it to see what's inside?

Back