diy solar

diy solar

Stackable 48V sol char inverter for single phase N-L 230V@60Hz AC in and split phase 240V out in the US?

ckanu

Hi. Looking for stackable solar charger inverter (12-15kW+ in total) that can accept single phase N-L 230V@60Hz AC in and output split-phase 240V (L1-L2-N), to be bought in the US. Could be just single 12kW or 15kW inverter.

I'm getting dizzy from reading all the manuals and still not sure what the best value option is.
Currently reading about SOL-ARK 15K-2P.

Having split phase output would save me from using a transformer.

Thanks!

You will need a transformer.
To isolate the two system types from each other, no matter which product you choose.

What is your source power?
And where are you located?
Hi, thanks. I'm in Antigua where the mains is 230V@60Hz single phase L+N. All the appliances are US - some 240V, some 120V so I need to get a transformer anyway for the house. I'm not electrician so not everything is clear to me. I know I can have a transformer as inverter's AC input or after inverter's AC output - was thinking I could get rid of the transformer altogether. We have a new construction so wanted to install the inverter and a few batteries for now and add PV later.

I would prefer an inverter that can work with single phase 230V input since the biggest loads are 240V (A/C, owen, heat plate, EV charger).

The single phase 230v service is L-N, with N bonded to ground.
The split-phase output you want is L1-L2-N. With N being the only conductor that can be bonded to ground.
You have to have a transformer to isolate the two different systems from each other.
I would put the transformer ahead of the AIO. Because this way it's only in use when the grid is powering the loads. (Less losses)
Another option is to build a stand alone off grid system. And only connect the grid to a battery charger. (Like a chargeverter)
No transformer needed, and the two systems are isolated.

Could go with Deye16ks. I can share my ali source with you. Should be 3400-3500 USD to your door. You’ll need a split phase transformer though. It will accept your street power, but youll have to turn it into split phase. PM me if you want and I will share the link.

Last edited:
It does not care and as it is a fully isolated transformer unit you can do the weird USA split grounded neutral output thing if desired.
It's not an isolation transformer, in bypass mode.
It's used as an autotransformer for this. That's why it doesn't need an input neutral.
It's only isolated between the inverted high voltage and the split-phase output.

+1 for Tim's advise there is no safe way to derive split phase from grid 230 w/o an isolation transformer, you'll end up with a dead short from l2 to ground as soon as you ground your house wiring. So you will need to buy a good isolation transformer no matter what.

if it where me I'd go with https://maximumsolar.online/product/pip11kw-max/ because I'm cheap, and so is it. I'd install it before the transformer and eat the transformer idle loss. this one will probably ship straight from Taiwan, but mpp ships dhl air freight, and it usually takes less that a week to anywhere in the usa.

if I was more concerned with idle consumption than cost, I'd get 2 sma 6048-us sunny islands, (these things are absolute TANKS hands down the best offgrid inverter on the market and have 25w idle) you can usually find them sub 3k each on ebay as new old stock and around 1500 used. I'd install these after the transformer. they have onboard battery chargers, but you'll need seperate solar charge controllers if you go this route. again low end is mppsolar or grow watt, high end midnite, outback etc.

if you want to be able to sell back solar overproduction (if you are even allowed to) then I'd go with a european style 230v hybrid inverter. (installed before transformer.)

low frequency tier 2 split phase inverters tend to be horribly inefficient vis-a-vis idle current, a real modern isolation transformer hooked up after a 230/240v inverter will probably be more efficient. you mentioned available to purchase in USA so I'll also mention, check ebay and craigslist for the transformer if you are buying stateside. they are usually readily available as industrial surplus for pennies on the dollar to what they sell for new. they are heavy so pay attention to where they're located or shipping will eat some of the savings. look for between 15 and 25kva.

Back