diy solar

diy solar

Stacked Panels with a slide out feature when parked.

I saw this video on YouTube and my mind went into overdrive. In the video they have a slide out panel for when you're parked, that slides to the rear.
Then I thought slide out to the side and drop down at the end. Have panel #1 flat mounted on the roof with a raised stand. Then under it a 2nd panel that slides sideways and then the outer edge can swing down aiming it at the sun on that side. Have a plug that hooks panel #2 in parallel when deployed and is unplugged in transit. A pair of Anderson SB50s would be good for that. The roof of my Camper Shell is limited for space and I thought I was going to be limited to one 40" x 67" panel because of it. With this idea I could double the panels in use when parked for a while.

Someone tell me where I'm missing something with this idea. I want to hear what is wrong or right about it. This video is where my idea 1st started at.

I found the same video about 18 months ago. If your stacking panels this solution is super attractive from a stack height, corrosion and cleaning perspective. The problem is the shipping to the US is insane and is linear for each item. I wanted 4-6 at the time and if i remember correctly shipping quote alone was $300+ dollars. Quite a shame.

I found the same video about 18 months ago. If your stacking panels this solution is super attractive from a stack height, corrosion and cleaning perspective. The problem is the shipping to the US is insane and is linear for each item. I wanted 4-6 at the time and if i remember correctly shipping quote alone was $300+ dollars. Quite a shame.
I wouldn't get that exact one, I would take the idea and make my own set up. Plus I would slide it out to the side, not the rear.

This is another solution using 80-20 type slides.

This is another solution using 80-20 type slides.
Pricey but some very cool/sleek looking options.

The Orion solution is just too small and toooo pricey for what i am trying to do ... does anyone else have any ideas of where I can find a solution ... I literally have 3 - 300W panels that I need to stack when traveling and then spread out when we stop .... we do NOT have allot of time at these stops to be messing with setting up and tearing down PV's -- so I need something that I can step out of the vehicle --and then go and spreadout the panels and get to work ....

I would build a frame that allows you to stack 3 panels high.The top panel wolud be fixed and the second and third one would slide out to the side(one to each side).Use heavy duty drawer slides..If you can;t weld the frame then use 2X2 angle aluminum which is easy to drill etc. You can devise simple locking mechanisms to lock them in place like a bolt or pin which you can remove Its not complicated.

The Orion solution is just too small and toooo pricey for what i am trying to do ... does anyone else have any ideas of where I can find a solution ... I literally have 3 - 300W panels that I need to stack when traveling and then spread out when we stop .... we do NOT have allot of time at these stops to be messing with setting up and tearing down PV's -- so I need something that I can step out of the vehicle --and then go and spreadout the panels and get to work ....
The video that was linked here https://diysolarforum.com/threads/s...slide-out-feature-when-parked.6125/post-63384

was one of the best I've seen out there. He used air cylinders but linear actuators from Windy Nation will work if you want electric. Making your slides lengthwise will work, heck maybe even give shade on the windshield. 3 panels that stack, one fixed, the other 2 slide out from under. You only need an offset for the one panel that is above/below the other. Put the offset on opposite ends. Use heavy drawer slides.

@ghostwriter66 , what is the vehicle?

Do you need something auto or can you reach them fairly easily? Like he asked above what is the vehicle? My first direction would be to use the 80/20 build configuration and come up with a frame that you can mount the panels on drawer slide outs stacked but in the design you need to consider locking mechanism and if you are using an actuator of sort to move them out.

The video that was linked here https://diysolarforum.com/threads/s...slide-out-feature-when-parked.6125/post-63384

was one of the best I've seen out there. He used air cylinders but linear actuators from Windy Nation will work if you want electric. Making your slides lengthwise will work, heck maybe even give shade on the windshield. 3 panels that stack, one fixed, the other 2 slide out from under. You only need an offset for the one panel that is above/below the other. Put the offset on opposite ends. Use heavy drawer slides.

You need to extend the drawers to both sides somewhat simultaneous of the RV for balance. Because you have then a 50lbs contraption with a 40 inch lever dangling from the roof.

He used air cylinders but linear actuators from Windy Nation will work if you want electric.
I've actually planned a drawer system out - the issue is with the linear actuator - it's the closed length of the unit vs the extended length.
You need to put the actuator somewhere. Further you need to "overextend" - meaning you want to store the lower panel underneath the upper panel - and then extend out - at least 3-4 inches more - to avoid shading.

Pneumatic or Hydraulic actuators you get telescoping-
Closed unit may be only 25 inches long - but extended you got 85.

While linear actuator - closed 45 and extended 85.

I have not run into a telescoping electric actuator yet. If someone sees one - let me know. Would make this kind of system much easier.

You need to extend the drawers to both sides somewhat simultaneous of the RV for balance. Because you have then a 50lbs contraption with a 40 inch lever dangling from the roof.

Look into RV lengthwise extension. Panels mounted long way across the RV and extension is on the short side.
I've actually planned a drawer system out - the issue is with the linear actuator - it's the closed length of the unit vs the extended length.
You need to put the actuator somewhere. Further you need to "overextend" - meaning you want to store the lower panel underneath the upper panel - and then extend out - at least 3-4 inches more - to avoid shading.

Pneumatic or Hydraulic actuators you get telescoping-
Closed unit may be only 25 inches long - but extended you got 85.

While linear actuator - closed 45 and extended 85.

I have not run into a telescoping electric actuator yet. If someone sees one - let me know. Would make this kind of system much easier.

Don't forget belt drive actuators.

Look into RV lengthwise extension. Panels mounted long way across the RV and extension is on the short side.

Don't forget belt drive actuators.
a lot of "telescoping" actuators are do not have an extended length which more then 2x the retracted length.

Which is the key to basically hide them inside the panel.

a lot of "telescoping" actuators are do not have an extended length which more then 2x the retracted length.

Which is the key to basically hide them inside the panel.
They can't be that way simply because each stage has to be shorter than the last stage.

Really, you can use 2 actuators, one going each way. That's what many do with air powered, length of extension is twice the length of cylinder.

Why do you need to hide them inside the panel? Need it to be top secret, fully classified operation? :)

The Orion solution is just too small and toooo pricey for what i am trying to do ... does anyone else have any ideas of where I can find a solution ...
One thing's for sure, drawer slides and stacking can get real expensive, real problematic, real fast if not careful.
prior attempt

this is a place i’ve sourced linear actuator in the past. performance ok.

belt drive seems really appealing to me but unsure about strength and wind and stuff. want to learn more.

the ultimate of using wind that pushes the solar panel to generate electricity by back driving the actuation mechanism is appealing to me but feels like a pipe dream for now and not worth addressing at this time.

i wonder if there are belts that are affordable ish and able to withstand the forces of a large 300W solar or more..

i wonder if there are belts that are affordable ish and able to withstand the forces of a large 300W solar or more..
that's one of my concerns as well. Don't know if valid. Belts a great when you pull - but what's with pushing?

I would mount a linear actuator central in the panel - while a belt drive needs to be at one of both sides. If you got a drawer slide which isn't moving perfectly smooth the panel might get twisted and brake.

Back