diy solar

diy solar

Standalone device to limit current but not "break" like a circuit breaker?

Ample

In this video, I saw that a power converter was able to limit the current it draws from shore power to a value you can set. I think that could be useful in a setting where you want to use someone's home outlet for power but don't want to trip their house breaker.

The key thing is that it seems to be a limiter and not a circuit breaker and so there's no interruption of power as you hit or exceed the value.

In the video, the capability is built into the device in question. But since I have built out my system already, I'm curious if there is a standalone product I can get to do just this function.

A tip that I've seen on this forum is to use a low amperage circuit breaker. In pursuit of this, I did buy a 10A breaker for my shore power connection. But that's just an arbitrarily low number and at that, I could still trip the host's home breaker if there was a large load already on it.

Similarly and conversely, if my host's circuit can do 20A and it has no other load, I could be short-changing the amount of current I could draw.

You could have multiple outputs and individually control them to vary how much power you are drawing (load shedding), but unless you are able to draw from a second source of power (like the Victron Multiplus can) it is hard to figure out what else you could do.

With a single source and a single load, limiting would result in lowering the voltage to the load which is not a good idea for anything except for purely resistive loads like incandescent light bulbs or space heaters.

Just watched the video. That is describing a system that does both. It is prioritizing the load over recharging the batteries, plus it drawing power from the batteries to make up any difference from demand and limit.

He didn't say this, but the Victron BMV he pointed hints that he might be using a Victron system (Multiplus or Quatro) which has the power limiting, load shedding the battery makeup built into it.

What you are seeing is how the Victron system works, this is not a separate device before the inverter.

Last edited:
Correction. This is the inverter they are using. It has the same power share function as Victron does. Now I know of two inverters that do this. Analysis remains the same, just the brand of the equipment is different.

Last edited:
What you want is possible, but probably not practical for RV use. Research load shedding controllers like these:

Some sort of dimmer switch? Maybe the variable temperature dial off a oven ?

Back