diy solar

diy solar

Starlink offgrid

Is this a round Dishy or the newer rectangle unit?
It’s the new one. From talking with others it seems I’m drawing about 3x more power than I should be. I’ll be investing why that is this weekend.

It’s the new one. From talking with others it seems I’m drawing about 3x more power than I should be. I’ll be investing why that is this weekend.
Yes,I agree that is more like the original round dishy power consumption.

Yes,I agree that is more like the original round dishy power consumption.

If he is in an area not so close to the common bands of traveling satellites, it could be that the radio transmit power is bumped to higher value. Does the latency reflect a possible further distance? I know my ping times are at around 30-31 ms. If his are a bit higher it could indicate a further distance from main satellite constellation flows or something. Just a thought I had I figured to mention.

Also, what type of instrument is he using to measure power draw? Like a Kill-A-Watt or something? Could try a different tool and see if the numbers agree with each other. It could be a bad calibration in the measuring tool...

If he is in an area not so close to the common bands of traveling satellites, it could be that the radio transmit power is bumped to higher value. Does the latency reflect a possible further distance? I know my ping times are at around 30-31 ms. If his are a bit higher it could indicate a further distance from main satellite constellation flows or something. Just a thought I had I figured to mention.
Pretty much anywhere in the continental US he will be 'in the flow'. He can count on times when a satellite is nearly directly overhead. In the middle of Kansas (mid of continental US), there is almost always 3 or 4 (or more) satellites in range, some of them quite close. Every once in a while I will see it get down to two in range but that does not happen very often anymore. Further north the situation is even better, further south it gets a little worse.

If it is boosting power to reach distant satellites, he should see the power fluctuate as the satellites get closer/farther.

Pretty much anywhere in the continental US he will be 'in the flow'. He can count on times when a satellite is nearly directly overhead. In the middle of Kansas (mid of continental US), there is almost always 3 or 4 (or more) satellites in range, some of them quite close. Every once in a while I will see it get down to two in range but that does not happen very often anymore. Further north the situation is even better, further south it gets a little worse.

If it is boosting power to reach distant satellites, he should see the power fluctuate as the satellites get closer/farther.

Yeah the tracker should help to get a better idea based on his location... I have seen that tracker before just didn't think to mention it hehe good call...

Also, what type of instrument is he using to measure power draw? Like a Kill-A-Watt or something? Could try a different tool and see if the numbers agree with each other. It could be a bad calibration in the measuring tool...

Had the opportunity to do some testing today. I’ve come to the conclusion that either the dish is defective or was suffering some sort of software glitch. During my first tests where I measured 100w the dish oriented itself almost completely straight up at the sky, I’d guess at about an 80 deg angle, which is definitely not where I expected the constellation to be. Today during my tests it oriented itself at about a 35 deg angle which is where I expect the constellation to be. At this angle I measured a 30w/hr power draw. This is purely speculative, but I think the wrong angle on the first tests bumped the power usage up, and frankly I’m surprised it was able to communicate with the constellation at all. I’ll have to keep an eye this but at this point I’m down to 30w so yea, that’s much more manageable.

Had the opportunity to do some testing today. I’ve come to the conclusion that either the dish is defective or was suffering some sort of software glitch. During my first tests where I measured 100w the dish oriented itself almost completely straight up at the sky, I’d guess at about an 80 deg angle, which is definitely not where I expected the constellation to be. Today during my tests it oriented itself at about a 35 deg angle which is where I expect the constellation to be. At this angle I measured a 30w/hr power draw. This is purely speculative, but I think the wrong angle on the first tests bumped the power usage up, and frankly I’m surprised it was able to communicate with the constellation at all. I’ll have to keep an eye this but at this point I’m down to 30w so yea, that’s much more manageable.
I do not have a dish yet, but from reading online, my understanding is that what you observed is normal behavior when it first starts. Some people have reported that it takes 15 or 20 minutes for it to 'get it's bearings' (Perhaps literally) and start working well. (In that time the network performance can be pretty poor as well.

I do not have a dish yet, but from reading online, my understanding is that what you observed is normal behavior when it first starts. Some people have reported that it takes 15 or 20 minutes for it to 'get it's bearings' (Perhaps literally) and start working well. (In that time the network performance can be pretty poor as well.

My first test it took about 20 minutes to move from the parked position straight into the upright position where stayed for an hour before I packed up and went home, and the second test was three hours in the upright position. Performance was good, so I just assumed that I had the constellation position wrong. Maybe I was getting an update during that time? Not sure how I’d check that. Yesterday it came out of the parked position, actually scanned the sky, and went into the lower angle within 5 minutes. No difference in network performance, but a very big difference in power draw. Weird. Headed back up this afternoon, the shed is being delivered, so I’ll test again.

Perhaps understanding how the phased array in dishy works would help you understand why it does what it does.

Hey all, long time lurker first time poster. Hoping I can get some additional eyes on my calculations for powering a Starlink terminal at our remote camp. At the moment it’s our only option to solve the problem of what is both the best and worst part of being at camp; it’s completely cut off from all forms of communication, but because of that we don’t go nearly as often as we’d like. This the only load I need to power and I’ve measured the average draw at 110w. I had hoped for 24/7 usage so I could setup some surveillance equipment and keep an eye on the property whenever/wherever, but after running those numbers, that is impractical. 110w doesn’t seem like that much until you need the batteries for a 3 day supply and an array to recharge it. I’ve decided on a strategy of programming a timer for 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off throughout the day, that drops my requirements to 12hrs/day for three days. That’s doable if my numbers are correct. I can’t build a system above 36v unless I’m willing to submit to the powers that be and agree to permits and inspections. I’m not, so 24v it is. Enough background, on to the math.

110w x 12hours/day = 1320w
1320w x 3days = 3960w
3960w / 1200w per 100ah 12v battery = (rounded up) 4 batteries = 4800w
4800w/5hours peak sun = 960w minimum array to charge in 1 day (5 hours)
at 24v I’d need a charge controller capable of 42a so a 60a charge controller.

This doesn’t account for any inefficiencies, but I’m hoping that my built in over sizing will negate those. With this setup I only have to wait 15 minutes if I’m not on site, and when I am onsite, if I need more online time, I can reconfigure the schedule to as much as 24/7 and have enough power for 36 hours after which I could hookup the Ford F-150 pro power generator and recharge that way.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
I use Barn Owl Tech solar cameras to video monitor. They send me a text whenever my camera goes off. Its worked great for remote location.

Back