diy solar

diy solar

Starter battery questions

Solarfun4jim

Solar seduced :-)
In my (RV) VW Crafter handbook, the recommended battery appears to be 12v 70AH 340A SLA
Installed currently is a 90AH 750A battery, which has obviously been installed by previous owner. (Functions fine)
I know zero about batteries, but presume there are no issues(alternator etc?), when i go to change this battery at the end of life, if i install a 100AH 840A (or higher capacity/CCA) so long as they have the same dimensions. My assumption(maybe wrong) is that the battery cannot be smaller than the handbook spec?

Any of you lead acid battery whizzes care to comment?

Is the question about the "starter battery" for the engine, or a "beginner question" about storage batteries? Engine starter batteries are not normally rated in amp hours, even though they have some amp hour rating. Cranking amps is normally what you are looking at in a starter battery.

Is the question about the "starter battery" for the engine, or a "beginner question" about storage batteries? Engine starter batteries are not normally rated in amp hours, even though they have some amp hour rating. Cranking amps is normally what you are looking at in a starter battery.
@DThames
Thanks DThames. I'm talking about the starter battery for the engine. The one currently installed is the same as this one listed below....
MOTRIO L5 90AH 750A 8671016935 - First Renault installation: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Original reference... Search by Motrio reference or manufacturer reference for the 8671016935 stamped on battery..says it is a L5 90AH

With that in mind, does having higher cranking amps than the original specification cause any issues?

Last edited:
I’ve upsized batteries in vehicle without any issues before. On a battery change a couple of times, I would buy the biggest battery that would fit in the tray, which was usually one size up. THose batteries lived a normal life and then died after a two and a half years, like the rest of my batteries. I never thought there’d be anything wrong with it.

I’ve upsized batteries in vehicle without any issues before. On a battery change a couple of times, I would buy the biggest battery that would fit in the tray, which was usually one size up. THose batteries lived a normal life and then died after a two and a half years, like the rest of my batteries. I never thought there’d be anything wrong with it.
Thats what i was thinking, however, when you have as much talent on one forum, it is always good just to ask the question....sometimes the odd query surfaces that you hadn't thought about.

In my (RV) VW Crafter handbook, the recommended battery appears to be 12v 70AH 340A SLA
Installed currently is a 90AH 750A battery, which has obviously been installed by previous owner. (Functions fine)
I know zero about batteries, but presume there are no issues(alternator etc?), when i go to change this battery at the end of life, if i install a 100AH 840A (or higher capacity/CCA) so long as they have the same dimensions. My assumption(maybe wrong) is that the battery cannot be smaller than the handbook spec?

Any of you lead acid battery whizzes care to comment?

It's fine ;)

Bigger = no problem (even better actually), smaller = bad.

@DThames
Thanks DThames. I'm talking about the starter battery for the engine. The one currently installed is the same as this one listed below....
MOTRIO L5 90AH 750A 8671016935 - First Renault installation: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Original reference... Search by Motrio reference or manufacturer reference for the 8671016935 stamped on battery..says it is a L5 90AH

With that in mind, does having higher cranking amps than the original specification cause any issues?
Your starter system will cause certain amps to flow. If those amps come close to the max amps of the battery, the battery voltage will drop and the starter will only produce a reduced torque. A battery with more available amps will not cause more amps, except under some fault conditions. For example, if your starter is worn and the rotating part is rubbing, it will pull more amps than one in good repair. So hook a worn starter up to a larger battery and in that case the amps may be larger than every imagined, which might be too much for the wiring. This is not a case you would expect but I just mentioned it to try to demonstrate what a larger battery would mean.

Back