diy solar

diy solar

starting from scratch-hybrid trailer, solar panel, battery monitor

cmtodd1000

Hi everyone, looking for some insight. i've got an 18' hybrid with a 24 series 12v agm battery with a 79 AH rating.
i've just installed the AiLi battery monitor (incl 350 A shunt) and will be adding the renogy eclipse 100w panel with the 20a charge controller. We're going out for a few nights without shore power, so i really just need the 2 way fridge and propane detector to work, i'll be using USB lights, and don't need to worry about the water pump...

when i'm connecting the solar panel with the alligator clips, do i connect the positive to pos terminal on the battery and the negative to negative battery terminal or does the negative go on the shunt?

All i want to do is keep the battery topped up. (i'm pulling the fuses for the radio to get rid of the draw).

do i need to get anything else for (what i'm assuming is a pretty basic set up). Next season will be getting into lithium batteries.
thanks!
chris

With the shunt, the B- connects to the battery and all negative loads and chargers connect to the P-.

Any cable connected to the battery positive should be protected by a suitable fuse or breaker, as near the positive post as practical.
Use something safer and more efficient than alligator clips.

Mike

Back