diy solar

diy solar

Starting my first solar need advice / tutoring (can pay!)

sale666

Hello to all, I will be setting my first solar system on my garage roof that is flat so have decided to ask my local aluminium shop that produce all kind of alu wares from doors to windows, rails etc to make me the railing system for solar panels on my garage as I did not find any really easy solution that was not too expensive to just order online and that it would fit my need.
Now I have been researching a lot and really studying the matter so I can make informed decisions but still would like to ask experts here on the forum before I proceed if my thought are right on this.
I would even offer to someone with experience who can video chat a payment for all my questions about this matter when setting it up.

What I have decided is to make a sketch to see if its all correct and it should be built this way (see graphic).

Now about the equipment I have decided to go with:
Jinko Tiger 470w panel
Huawei SUN2000 -6KTL-L1
Huawei LUNA battery (supported by Huawei so I know its compatible no issues here)

Now the questions are:
a) The Jinko Tiger 470w has Voc of 52.10v and I plan to add 5 at first so that would make 260,5 Voc (as I understood I should be planning my solar array by Voc correct?).
b) The inverter shows a max of 600v so that would make a max of 11 panels making it 573V?
c) The MPPT shows max of 560v so even if I have 573v MPPT does not care its just used to charge battery for most power available?
d) Since I plan to connect this in series the AMP should stay at panel max power (Isc) Jinko T 470w is sheet its 11.68a so if 11 panels are connect I will have 11.68a and 573v? The Inverter has max short-circuit current of 18A so this should be ok?
e) Since this Huawei is Hybrid it should work off grid without AC input as I plan to add that later in about a year or two

Please if someone has the will to answer this questions based on the datasheets provided above or has better / cheaper equipment I could use feel free to state what I should use.
I went with single phase inverter as 3 phase seems a bit too complicated for me later to setup maybe I am wrong?
*The reason for this setup is lights in the garage eventual small tool use (charging battery of drill and so on) and adding a wall charger for my car (even 3kw is enough but pricewise the most powerful KTL 6 is best bang for buck)

Thank you all who take their time to answer!
Also if you are an expert I would love to video chat and pay for the service of help when I go installing this if I have some questions along the way!

Thanks, Saša.

Attachments

• solar.jpg
    solar.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 5
You need to factor in cold-weather compensation into your panel strings. The 11-panel string will have a voltage ~573 only at ~25C. At freezing, the Voc is likely to climb past 640Voc, and I'm sure it get below freezing in your location.

Try using Midnight Solar's string calculator to accurately predict what your actual Voc is going to be at your all-time winter low.

You need to factor in cold-weather compensation into your panel strings. The 11-panel string will have a voltage ~573 only at ~25C. At freezing, the Voc is likely to climb past 640Voc, and I'm sure it get below freezing in your location.

Try using Midnight Solar's string calculator to accurately predict what your actual Voc is going to be at your all-time winter low.
Hi Michael!
Thats a great calculator could you take a look what I have put in there if it is correct?
This would mean 10 panles should be ok! For the inverter I mentioned.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230602_092519_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230602_092519_Chrome.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 8
579V is still really close to 600? I personally would ratchet it down to just 9 panels. Better safe than sorry.
Or configure the array 5S2P. Of course if there is a minimum voltage then that needs to be reached.
You would only need a pair of MC4 Y connectors to connect the 2 5S strings.

Or configure the array 5S2P. Of course if there is a minimum voltage then that needs to be reached.
You would only need a pair of MC4 Y connectors to connect the 2 5S strings.
Thanks for taking your time to answer guys but im not sure how to do that does that mean 5 strings 2 panels? Could you clarify a bit?
Also I have been looking into lower Wattage panels and seems I could load more pannels and have higher Wattage output with lower volatage if I chose different panels? Is this normal?
And you are right the inverter states a minimum of 100v to work!

Thanks for taking your time to answer guys but im not sure how to do that does that mean 5 strings 2 panels? Could you clarify a bit?
Also I have been looking into lower Wattage panels and seems I could load more pannels and have higher Wattage output with lower volatage if I chose different panels? Is this normal?
5S2P = that would be 2 paralleled sets of 5 panels strings together

5S2P-1-550x537-2443167531.png

No he means 5 in series / 2 in parallel.

Mr. Sandals can you tell me how do I figure out what is the maximum input amperage on my inverter? I cant find anything anywhere about that!
Inverter: SUN2000-6KTL-L1
edit: sorry im a moron... I calculated wrong the correct should be 5 in series so 5x52,10= 260,5v and a 23,36 amps correct?
As far as I figured I should divide 18a (Max. short-circuit current) rating by 600v of inverter to get a total of 33a of load that this inverter can handle correct?

Last edited:
how do I figure out what is the maximum input amperage on my inverter?
My understanding that unless specified, it is normally equal to the output amps (different voltage i know but thats what i have heard).

And FWIW, the amps are pulled by the SCC so its not apt to be designed to pull more than it can handle. And if so, the max amps are specified?

5 in series so 5x52,10= 260,5v per string of panels so total of 521v and a 23,36 amps correct?
Yes, exactly!

As far as I figured I should divide 18a (Max. short-circuit current) rating by 600v of inverter to get a total of 33a of load that this inverter can handle correct?
Bmmph. I dunno.
The Inverter has max short-circuit current of 18A so this should be ok?
Hmmm, maybe not. Where is this specified? The exact wording will be important.

Back