diy solar

diy solar

Starting my Onan 4k with my LIfepo

GSXR1000

Solar Enthusiast
I am building 2 batteries (272AH) with 2 120A BMS. How much stress will it put on my BMS? It does pull 245A for a split second. then quickly goes way below 100A.

Lifepo4 Prismatic Cell 3.2v 280ah Lithium Lifepo4 Cell For Solar System - Buy Lifepo4 Prismatic Celi,Lithium Lifepo4 Cell,Lifepo4 Cell Battery Product on Alibaba.com

Lifepo4 Prismatic Cell 3.2v 280ah Lithium Lifepo4 Cell For Solar System , Find Complete Details about Lifepo4 Prismatic Cell 3.2v 280ah Lithium Lifepo4 Cell For Solar System,Lifepo4 Prismatic Celi,Lithium Lifepo4 Cell,Lifepo4 Cell Battery from Lithium Ion Batteries Supplier or...
www.alibaba.com
www.alibaba.com
www.aliexpress.com

US $7.65 11% OFF|DYKB smart BMS 4S 12V 60A 80A 100A 120A Li ion LifePo4 Lithium Protection Board balance High Current Bluetooth APP software GPRS|Battery Accessories| - AliExpress

Smarter Shopping, Better Living! Aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com
www.a
Screenshot_20201121-154834_Video Player.jpg
liexpress.com
Screenshot_20201121-154755_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20201121-154947_Video Player.jpg

Assuming it can be distributed between the two BMS evenly, it might be fine. Of course, that depends on if the BMS can handle its rated current. They also have a surge current, but it's likely a much shorter duration.

I also don't know that I'd trust that the peak is only 235.8A since a meter NOT in inrush mode likely won't capture the inrush peak with the MAX function, and I don't know if the inrush function in AC mode would capture the peak current either.

The inrush on a motor is typically 4-10X the run current, so my gut says the low end of your actual peak current is > 300A based on a running current of about 77A. I wouldn't expect the BMSs to handle it.

115 A was in rush.. so the DC motor might be acting differently ?

Attachments

• 20201201_163622.jpg
    20201201_163622.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
my plan is to put a 200A fuse strait to battery to generator starter solenoid. then i separate wire to the generator controls so if bms opens it won't engage the solenoid

also I bet the amps will be lower in Lifepo due to lack of voltage sag and 3x AH

also I bet the amps will be lower in Lifepo due to lack of voltage sag and 3x AH

That's a good point.

Note that a 200A fuse may not blow even with much higher current as it's a function of overload and time. It might handle 300A for a few seconds.

That's a good point.

Note that a 200A fuse may not blow even with much higher current as it's a function of overload and time. It might handle 300A for a few seconds.
yes but I will have 550A @ 1C and they can handle 2C for short duration...

The Overkill Solar version of that BMS can be ordered with three wires instead of two and 8 gauge instead of 10 gauge. That should help with the throughput.

I'm running a synthetic 0w-30 in my 5500w generator. It seems to start a little easier with that oil than what Onan specs out.

The Overkill Solar version of that BMS can be ordered with three wires instead of two and 8 gauge instead of 10 gauge. That should help with the throughput.

I'm running a synthetic 0w-30 in my 5500w generator. It seems to start a little easier with that oil than what Onan specs out.
way too hot here in Texas for a 0 weight oil... lol.
I run royal purple 10-30
I am thinking with lifepo lower internal resistance it will start much easier.. also 550 AH of battery

mine has 3 x 8 guage.. works great no heat at 85 amps for 3 hours even the heat sink

**** UPDATE ***

2-130a bms starts the generator no problem.. cranks faster with lifepo... and current drops much quicker.. amps never went over 205 for a split second 20210128_172712.jpg

What do you mean, "current drops much quicker"?
on my 2x100ah agm batteries it took a second for the starter to get to full speed. now pretty much instant.
and before I could hear the compression stroke now not really

i have 280Ah LFP - Chargery BMS - starts my 4K Generac w/o problems
i have 250A fuse from battery to + busbar

i have 280Ah LFP - Chargery BMS - starts my 4K Generac w/o problems
i have 250A fuse from battery to + busbar

What size wire is going to the generator? The existing wire I have to work with looks to be no more than 8 awg. It's not the wire that was providing juice to the generator from the original lead acid battery. Despite the high amp startup being short term, I think I'm going to have to run a new wire from the LiFePO4 battery bank to the generator.

Back