diy solar

diy solar

Starting my Onan 4k with my LIfepo

looks like 2/0 - fairly substantial

That doesn't surprise me.

I'll have to run two sets of leads to make this work. One set will be 2/0-ish, specifically for the generator due to the high amp draw. The other set will be to bring tow vehicle 12v power into the trailer. That won't have to be 2/0 and the existing 8 awg cables may be good enough. This second set is optional. I don't really need to charge from the tow vehicle, but it would be good to have a "complete" system. I would have to add a DC-DC charger also.

All this would allow me to eliminate the remaining lead acid battery that is sitting on the tongue of the trailer. I would like to eliminate another 30 lbs of tongue weight, but I'm not going to kill myself to do that.

sorry to resurrect an old thread but glad it was posted. I too have an 4K Onan generator on my Class C motorhome. I also am building a single 280Ah Lifepo4 battery from info I learned here.
My question is how is your BMS's holding up after a year? And should I get a bigger BMS for a single battery or will the Overkill 120A BMS or a JBD 150A be fine?

Last edited:
sorry to resurrect an old thread but glad it was posted. I too have an 4K Onan generator on my Class C motorhome. I also am building a single 280Ah Lifepo4 battery from info I learned here.
My question is how is your BMS's holding up after a year? And should I get a bigger BMS for a single battery or will the Overkill 120A BMS or a JBD 150A be fine?
no issues. still starts great

Just wanted to update this thread since I could barely find any information about a lithium battery starting a onboard RV generator. I built a 280 amp hour pack with a 150 amp JBD BMS hooked it all up and fired up my generator multiple times with no problems. Using the Bluetooth app for the BMS. I did see the amps jumping a little over 200 but that was for a split second and it didn't trip anything.

Back