diy solar

diy solar

Steam juicer verses Straining

ncowan

So after getting done using my new steam juicer on Mustang Grapes I am not crazy about the color. It's a lot lighter. Could just be because it's just pulling the juice out which is not purple and leaving the skins pretty much intact. There has to be some water getting into also. Can't really tell about taste as I have not made any jam with it. I went out this morning hoping to pick 5 gallons. Would be enough to make jam, wine and give some to my buddy. cold press juicer I worked hard to get 2 gallons. A lady stopped and talked to me and said was a bumper crop last year. I did my normal method of cooking then straining overnight. Boy, the color is a bunch darker. Won't know until tomorrow how much have but guessing 3 quarts. Not going to make wine now. Thinking of mixing half and half-light with dark with about 4 quarts of light left over.

I let a friend use the steam juicer for 20 lbs peaches. He really liked it. Got enough juice for 5 gallons of wine. I think making wine would be the best use for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this and your experience with it! I'd never heard of a steam juicer, had to look it up:

A steam juicer works by bursting the fruit with steam and then collecting the fruit’s juice as it freely drains from the pulp.

Between the heat and water dilution, I can see where it might be a problem for jams. Interesting idea, but I'd be worried about the heat breaking down the fruit enzymes for wine...guess it depends on the fruit.

Back