diy solar

diy solar

Steam Power

Bishacuda

I built a hillbilly solar system using four 395 watt panels, a mmpt charge controller, four deep cell marine batteries, and a 3500 watt inverter. But, I live in the tall pines and in order to charge (I can't cut down my neighbor's trees), I have to chase the sun around the yard with the solar panels. Not as much fun as it sounds. There isn't enough wind here either. What I have an abundance of is wood. Seemed natural that I should migrate to steam power. I've bought the boiler and a steam engine that puts out about 4hp and can churn away at 300rpm. With the proper pulleys, I can get the business end up to around 1000 rpm.

I could use some help on the generator to get for this system. The folks at FTC have ignored me. I figure they'd continue to do so if I bought a generator from them and had an issue with it, so they are out. The rest of the stuff from Aliexpress seems like garbage. Anyone have any ideas or leads? Just asking about the generator, not whether or not steam power is a good idea.

Thanks!

Mostly a free bump....

Have you considered looking at a hydro generator? A looked at Taoiseach several months ago and the specs were pretty clearly listed.

It really looks like your system as is should push between 20 and 40 amps at 12 volts with a car alternator. Might not be efficient, but I’m sure you thought of that.

I should have mentioned ... I have an alternator on it right now. It was installed for proof of concept. I can do better.

Looking at Taoiseach. Thanks for the lead!

What voltage is the system? If 12V you can easily get alternators. I used alts on a lawnmower motor for years. You would want to get the speed up a little higher to get good output from an alt.

Oops, I see you have tried an alt. Never mind.

Bigger is better. Looking to put out more energy than the alternator can produce.

You can easily get an alt that will eat up 4hp no problem. You need to get to higher than 1000 rpm though.

Been thinking of an idea such as this for awhile. The issue I have is sourcing a steam engine. What engine did you get and where did you get one?
All the stuff listed online that I'm finding is either small model scale or aliexpress scams.

Been thinking of an idea such as this for awhile. The issue I have is sourcing a steam engine. What engine did you get and where did you get one?
All the stuff listed online that I'm finding is either small model scale or aliexpress scams.
anacortessteam@gmail.com

Ross makes his own engines and boilers. Straight shooter. No BS. I can't recommend him enough. Don't know what he has in stock, but you'll be fine doing business with him.

Back