diy solar

diy solar

Sterling Power Pro Charge Ultra and BMS

ES1

I have a 12v Sterling Power Pro Charge Ultra battery charger which has been successfully charging lead acid batteries for the past few years. I have now changed to a large Lifepo4 system 12v at 240Ah, and want the Sterling Power unit to charge this Lifepo4 system.
Installed on the Lifepo4 is a 120amp JBD BMS. I have programmed the battery charger to the Lifepo4 battery Type Preset, however when I turn on the battery charger it displays 18.1Volt at 32Amps. This 32Amps is displayed for about 2 seconds then reverts to 0, the 18.1 volt reading is constant. After about 30 seconds it again 32Amps for 2 secs and then reverts to 0.
It would appear the BMS is probably doing a very good job protecting my new system, however I now have the problem of sorting the overvoltage. Installed between the battery charger and the battery bank is a 70Amp switchable fuse from which I have taken multimeter readings, these being 14.4A before the fuse and 12.75A after the fuse, it does appear that the fuse maybe faulty which I will replace, but what I cannot understand is the 18.1V, your advice is appreciated

Back