diy solar

diy solar

Steve_S-tech: Active vs Balancing. Passive is NOT for large capacity cells.

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
This Posting addresses into the Important MInutia which can & often does create confusion & misunderstandings that result falling into the Proverbial "Rabbit Hole".
This is the Simple Straight up FACTS, just like what "Gravity" is and how it works.
This is not a discussion or Debate Thread for argument, postulation, theorization or conjecture.

2 proceeding slots reserved.

Passive balancers were Never Intended for large capacity cell Period ! They are intended for portables and even some e-bikes up to 20/30ah with li-ion.

Large batteries such as we use are addressed by Active Balancers which have only recently become reasonable and affordable ! With respectable performance.

The shear capacity cannot be addressed with milliamps when dealing with 100/200/200 Amp Hour cells. Small cells are "puddles n ponds of water" whereas Large cells are "Great Lakes to Oceans" of stored energy !

Proper Active Balancers do the energy transfer from high cell to low cell in Burst-mode for several reasons which I won't get into. Ultimately this prevents the sending & receiving cells from stress as well as the BMS whether using Super Capacitors (best) to induction or other.

For Any battery pack with 100ah cells or better, Active balancing is the correct and appropriate for keeping a healthy delta between cells.

Cell differentials occur & vary for NUMEROUS reasons. Most rant about grade/quality which is closer to 5% of the causes in REALITY. Even temp differences between cells WILL cause differentials to appear. More often than not it's the assembly and charge/discharge profiles and a lack of proper understanding of the "working chemistry" and how to handle it.

TO BE CONTINUED W.I.P.

Last edited:
If you taper current while balancing (as you should) then passive balancing works fine.

My 11 year old 400ah cells are doing just fine with 0.5A passive balancing.

If your cell self discharge variation is greater than the balancing capacity of your system, then yes you need to redesign your system.

Adding an extra failure point (active balancing) would be low on my list of actions in this case.

Active balancers are bandaids for poorly designed systems.

Back