diy solar

diy solar

Sticky thread suggestion. Battle plan for building DIY wind turbines

brandnewb

Going for serious. starting as newb
I'd like to propose a sticky in this section so that more of all of our efforts can be more easily summarized and prevent newcomers like my self to wonder too far off in the dark.

This post should be editable by everyone as it is not intended as a long thread to read through.
More like a wikipedia kind of thing in where we trust the community to do the right thing.

Here is my suggestion thus far

* Check out local code and see the maximum allowed turbine diameter.
* Check out local avg wind conditions. One can try and find a near community station at for example windly.com. But the more nothern one gests it might get less populated with stations. In the worst case buy your own weather station. It's not too expensive.
* Check out if wind is turbulent or not at your choses site. You have to be accurate with this
     * If non turbulent go HAWT if the local code allows for a better expected output.
     * if turblent then just accept that VAWT, although less efficient, is probably better to go with.
* check out if there is anything reasonable to be expected here, in terms of power generation potential using the local code restrictions and the avg. wind speed.

*If favorable then plunge in, you can join me in this endeavor
* start with the turbine. Do measurements that I do not know about yet. I am learning as we speak.
* then design your alternator to match. I for one did it all wrong and started with the alternator out of some prestige thing. Have no fear though. If one needs a brutal alternator then I can be of service.

Last edited:
@Will Prowse is a wiki style thread even an option using this this software?

I can pitch in though. I have got quite some serve power, quite sick (r) actually. so I could host it if it the community feels like this could be a good idea yet that the current platform does not allow for it (yet).

Last edited:
Back