diy solar

diy solar

storen technologies vanadium flow battery for residences

notarichman

30kw which is 600ah, 105amps in/out, about 25 years life span, 15,000 cycles, but only about 75 to 80% efficiency.
how is efficiency for a battery measured? if you charge a battery at 100 amps for one hour and you can only get 80 amps for an hour out?
80% efficiency? Or if you fully charge a battery and after a week you discharge it and it only has 80% to put out? not quite the same situation.
I emailed the company to see what the price is and i'll post any reply i get. The last time I emailed a flow battery company for a price they told me
that they weren't yet selling them, but expected the price would be about $15,000.

30kw which is 600ah, 105amps in/out, about 25 years life span, 15,000 cycles, but only about 75 to 80% efficiency.
how is efficiency for a battery measured? if you charge a battery at 100 amps for one hour and you can only get 80 amps for an hour out?
80% efficiency?

Yes.

Or if you fully charge a battery and after a week you discharge it and it only has 80% to put out? not quite the same situation.

No. This is self-discharge.

Lead-acid is about 85% efficient, 100Ah used, 115Ah required to recharge.

Yes.

No. This is self-discharge.

Lead-acid is about 85% efficient, 100Ah used, 115Ah required to recharge.
thanks for the explanation. sometimes companies/people claim "60% better" with no explanation; better than what???
it always makes me think, "okay, that is a frivolous advertisement and means nothing."
In this case I'm waiting for price before I get excited. the picture of the "600ah" storage battery is small and the 15,000 cycles are
great, even if the efficiency isn't that good.

I’ve been through the numbers with the Australian Redflow ZCell system.

Doesn’t even go close to LiFePO4.

Storen is getting closer to actually selling their residential sized battery. they have to get them tested/approved for the U/L specs.
so it could be a few months before they are ready to sell them. I'm going to bet that they want about $15,000 for their 30kwh battery.
let's do some math-- sig solar wants $1700 for 48v 100ah battery x 6 = $10,200 plus shipping; probably about the same for both so we
won't count that. however, the weight of at least one full tank 5000 lbs. if both tanks will be full; then double that. i was told that they
will have to install the system and it will have to be protected from cold weather or the chemicals separate and are useless. they cannot
be used at all and the tanks would have to be cleaned. so, insulation and heat is definitely important and the heat will use power.
i now have 20 kwh of LFP batteries that i could use for running the heater and plenty of room in my warehouse for the tanks and equipment.
But I'm going to have to see what the self discharge rate is before I buy. Some of these redox flow batteries are supposed to be used twice
per day, which doesn't work well for me. one system even has you heat everything up to about 500 degrees F before it can be used. as a
long term backup battery, that doesn't work at all. My village loses power about six times per year, or every two months. In two months i
suspect the system would cool down and unusable when you actually need it. the best solution I came up with this for my needs is to use
my LFP batteries as backups and discharge the flow battery during the night when i don't have solar. charge it up during the day or any
time the SOC went down below spec. off the grid. this should also make my LFP batteries last longer - less cycles.

Back