diy solar

diy solar

Strange Daly BMS question I cannot figure out

chequamegon

I have a custom pack - it is 840ah, built from 12 total 280ah cells, with bricks of 3 in parallel, and 4 of those bricks in series. So each brick of 3 in parallel acts as a single "cell" to the 200amp 4S Daly BMS. This is an off-grid RV setup, so it is in a 12v system. This battery has worked fine for 6 months now, until this week.

So here is what it is doing - it is not taking a charge. The BMS is activated and working, because it was putting out voltage, but I didnt notice it not taking a charge until it died. From my equipment, here is what I saw.

Victron SmartShunt - continued to give 95-100% SOC for the past week. Only in post-mortem did I look at the specs, and realized the battery has taken exactly 0ah in. Not sure why the Smart Shunt continue to show the high SOC, but it could be related to the voltage the BMS was presenting. The SmartShunt was NOT set to synchronize the SOC. For this week, it showed 6.8kwh of discharged energy, and 0.0kwh of charged energy.

Victron 10amp charger - when I hooked up the charger, to the battery that was then 10.5v, the battery took 0ah in, but almost immediately presented 14.4v, and the charger went into Float.

Victron 75/15 Solar controller from a 200w system - showed daily production of a very small amount, only about 60-80wh per day (in AZ and CA), and was showing that the system was presenting a max voltage of 14.4v each day, but also showing the low voltage each day go lower and lower through the week (again, only looked at this in hindsight) showing that the battery was obviously continually discharging, but not charging. The small production each day is probably explained by a few various appliances consuming during the solar production periods of the day.

The Daly that I have is "dumb", or a non-programmable, non-bluetooth device, so I cannot access it to see what the deal is. Tomorrow I will dig into it in the daylight and test individual cell voltages to look for anomalies.

Anyone have any ideas?

Victron SmartShunt - continued to give 95-100% SOC for the past week
The settings may be causing sync to 100%, but this conflicts with correctly showing a high discharge and no charging.
Daly that I have is "dumb
Seems its charge path is cut off. Hopefully your tests will show there are no issues with the cells or connections.

Having a 'backup' smart BMS for testing or replacement in case of failure is useful. Given the relatively low cost of a BMS its useful insurance. On my sail boat battery system a second BMS is connected alongside the main BMS and can be switched to the main supply bus if needed.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. After looking into it, the BMS/Battery were not sending out 14.4v, that was just the readings I was getting on my system when the BMS was fully blocking charging, and the solar controller was putting out 14.4 during the day, and the Shunt was reading that as the high value.

Anyway, I solved the problem. It was a disconnected temperature sensor. DOH!

So, the battery is fine. Not sure why the Victron was continuing to read 100%. Looks like I have some inter-communication errors with all my Victron parts. I have them all connected via VE Smart Networking, but something still isnt right there.

At least I now have power in my RV again, and am charging again.

Back