diy solar

diy solar

Strange Multiplus behavior

berksrunner

I have a 24V Victron Energy Multiplus 3000 and am observing the following issues when connected to 15A shore power and with a 14A current limit on the Multiplus:

1. When there is only a small AC load of 60W or less, the Multiplus (MP) will consistently draw a predictable (and desirable) 1400W to maximize charging current to the batteries.
2. When I place a roughly 650W consistent load on the MP (it's a small infrared heater, and and draw is based upon venusgx data), the MP seems the do the opposite of desirable behavior -- it decreases its draw from shore power to just roughly 150W above the AC load placed upon the MP (so roughly 800W or less).
3. In addition to decreasing it's draw from shore power in response to an AC load, the MP will also occasionally switch into Assist -- which seems totally inappropriate for such a small load.
4. Another troubling behavior is that occasionally, when the AC load is further increased (in this case, to 1612W -- well within the 3000VA limit of the MP), the MP draw from shore power will rise and exceed the current limit setting. In this case, a 1612 AC load resulted in a 1742 shore power draw which amounted to 19.6A and caused the shore power breaker to trip!
5. Another observation: when I see that the MP has reduced its draw from around 1400W to the 800W or so due to the 650W load, I will simply turn off the AC load for around 10 seconds. During this time, the MP seems to reset itself and resumes drawing 1400W from shore power for the purpose of charging the batteries. When I restore the AC load, the MP continues the 1400W draw for about 10 minutes before dropping down and resuming the previously described behavior.

More specs regarding my system: 24v, 6.2kwh lifeop4.

Any thoughts?

I remember reading an issue like this or something like this on the Victron Energy community, you may want to look for the official answer there.

I've now posted twice there without any response. Not sure what's going on with the Victron support. In the past, the community forum has always been very helpful.

Back