diy solar

diy solar

Strings from pv array.

Fraser

Hi everyone. I have 8 strings from my pv array and I need to get them down to just one positive and one negative. I have dc isolators for them to go through and they are fused before they get to this. But when they come out trying to find something with a large enough amperage and voltage in the uk is a pain for me. I’m literally thinking of buying a lynx power in and putting my 4 negatives on the negative bar and my 4 positives on the positive bar and using the ends of the lynx distributor to come off to go into my mppt. 200 v and 45 amps. Does anyone think that would be a problem I’m thinking it’s just some copper bars ? I know there must be a cheaper way. My mate said just solder them all together. So more help needed please.
Thanks

Fraser

There are product designed to do what you want. Midnite solar combiner box is built to do this as well as provide disconnects for your panels.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I can’t get an 8 string one here. Only as high as the 6. America seem to be better geared up for this stuff. I bought a combiner box and found that someone asked if it would do a 48v system with a large wattage and the answer came back that it couldn’t. So that went back. I’m happy to go down the bus bar route if it would work/ take the volts.
Thanks

Fraser

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I can’t get an 8 string one here. Only as high as the 6. America seem to be better geared up for this stuff. I bought a combiner box and found that someone asked if it would do a 48v system with a large wattage and the answer came back that it couldn’t. So that went back. I’m happy to go down the bus bar route if it would work/ take the volts.
Thanks

Fraser
Ummm, I'm using a 6-breaker Midnight combiner with my 48V system, and I'm at 4500W of panels from the main array. Everything is fine.

Here's a way that might work for you. If you have 8 strings, combine pairs of strings with these 2to1 connectors.
1621471195852.png
Then the combined pairs could be led into four breakers in the Midnight combiner. I believe that would still be considered electrically safe in case of a short-circuit. Of course though you'd have to select a double-sized breaker to accommodate the doubled amperage.

Back