diy solar

diy solar

Stripped the terminals, how to re-thread them safely

• Thread starter Deleted member 9967
  • Start date
I wouldn't worry at all about that.
The path out the top of busbar, through stainless nut or bolt head, down through stainless bolt or stud is such high resistance that it hardly any current goes through it. The flat busbar pressed against terminal carries all the current (assuming you fixed the native oxide issue.) One is long (well, a couple millimeters), skinny, resistive material. The other is zero length and large area.
Interesting.
Thank you.

And yes, using oxgard.

Helicoil.
Also marked up considerably and marketed as "Essure"

Off topic.
Listening to this while I ad my BMS etc. :)
Just in case anyone else likes good music. :)

Ok well I found this video.
If you are the type that loves research then you will love this video.
I was curious how good the helicoils were and I watched this video and it showed that it is VERY much over the top of what my needs are.
I am now super confident it will do what I want it to do.
So a huge round of thanks to those that told me from their own experiences what it is etc.
Thank you very much. :)

Some people say to wrap the tools... sometimes it's easier to wrap up the terminal ends. Anything to prevent an accidental short.

One things for sure...

dontcrossthestreams.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the vendors are including double bus bars. If the bus bars are doubled up, it's possible that there are only a few threads from the screw making it into the terminal. With only a few threads engaged, it's easy to strip them. The more items that are stacked on a terminal, the longer the screw should be to engage as many threads as possible.

The other thing that occured to me is that the stainless steel screws are harder/stronger than the aluminum terminals. Using a softer screw, such as aluminum, could result in the screw stripping instead of the terminal.

HI. I'm new here and planning my first battery build. Don't have the issue of stripped battery terminals and I am familiar with helicoils, But, while reading through this thread a question came to mind. Are the battery terminals of prismatic batteries strong enough to sheer off (hammer) the tang on the helicoil once installed? This is more of a curiosity question right now but would like someone who has experience with this to weigh in. Thanks.

Back