diy solar

diy solar

Structure building w/ LFP is different than building w/ lead acid

You get mail and a cell signal? Unimaginable luxuries!
It is when the town you shop in doesn’t have anything you need to fix or build with so you have to order online and get it mailed to you or find the next town that is close that has it. Provided also out of 3 neighbors that live out here in 10 mile radius I’m the only one with electricity and internet.

rodents are a problem for low IQ people. I don't have these issues. A lot of people in the country are not too bright at all. They install a 12v system in their RV & think they are a genius.

muhm. umumumum whooboy wow

are you a senator? or congressman?

or did you just come here to…….

Never mind. Jewels and pigs. I live in the country.

Some years ago we looked at semi-off-grid properties near Ft. Davis, TX. At 5000 ft elevation it can get chilly there in the winter months. Many of the homes had large indoor water tanks that served as heat sinks to regulate temperatures, IIRC one of the tanks held 3000 gallons.

It is rare that I agree 100% with a post and especially one this long and on this many topics. Are you my brother from a different mother? I will add that in a fire you can worry about toxic fumes all you want. CO is going to be what kills you if you don't get out in very short order. The original poster to this thread has not been done any favors with all this discussion of rodents. I am putting the two systems I am working on in out buildings. One is attached to my concrete water tank to help with thermal mass moderation of temperatures. I would be reluctant to put it in my home but mostly because I want to be able to roll the battery packs right out the door for maintenance or in case of trouble with a pack. This is also why I won't build my packs on shelves that require them to be disassembled in order to move them. That was my original plan but currently my plan is to have my packs on wheels with anderson connectors. This chemistry can be used in more ways than others, safely, in my hopeful opinion. Just think it through and consider contingency plans.
I have a Half Brother, I KNOW Where he is and the 3,000kms space between us is just about right ! I would not wish that XXXXXXXX on anyone.... Pick & Chose friends & enemies but Family.... oivey !

My battery packs are on a shelving system but really easy to pull off there in a pinch. 24V/8S = not hard to handle at 90 Lbs but 16S @ 175+ Lbs a slightly different bugger to shift.

The Will Prouse of mice is Shawn Woods. If a mouse gets in your house, its going for donuts not batteries.

Set your self free of the rodent my friends!

YES! I plan on a vent system.

Yes! I am building my water tanks (2x3000gal) into my main structure. The tanks will last several times longer if kept out of the elements. The water is thermal mass that will help regulate the structures temperature. Indoor tanks wont freeze. And a grim reason, inside tanks cant be tampered with.

The Will Prouse of mice is Shawn Woods. If a mouse gets in your house, its going for donuts not batteries.

Yes! I am building my water tanks (2x3000gal) into my main structure. The tanks will last several times longer if kept out of the elements. The water is thermal mass that will help regulate the structures temperature. Indoor tanks wont freeze. And a grim reason, inside tanks cant be tampered with.
Yes they will go for donuts for food but they need somewhere nice and warm to nest after that snack. Now to build that nest these batteries look nice warm and dark, first I need some supplies, little bit of wires some insulation from your walls or clothes in a closet.

I'll go ahead & repost this as helping people better their life's is my motivation with this thread.

It's the Hotel California for the mice, but the rats around the 9:30 mark will have none of it.

Rats in my experience are much smarter than mice. They also a profound climbers and jumpers - while a 5 gallon bucket will trap a mouse, doing the same with rats requires a 55 gallon drum... they can climb right out of a short container

As to the OP's original question, building codes will typically permit batteries in your residence. It's certainly safer to put them in a separate outbuilding, of course. And TBH I like the idea of using the thermal mass in the water tank to help control the temperature in the residence a bit, though practically I don't think a single tank in your basement or a closet is going to make a huge difference there (though it will certainly help keep it from freezing).

Last edited:

I plan on using one of these. System in a building but not in same air supply as a living space.

The electrolyte is flammable liquid hehe

Planning on using temperature sensor with 0.0078°C resolution on every individual cell.

Planning on using gigavac 400A capable solenoid contactor relay for emergency battery disconnect.

If any cell temperature becomes suddenly different than another cell, the system must shut down and disconnect.

And make a light or sound or notify me somehow so I can respond.

Back