diy solar

diy solar

Sub panel questions

NEpowerandlight

I have an EG4 split phase inverter and I want to run the AC out to a main lug 125A sub panel so I can power up some new branch circuits. But I'd also like to be able to power some critical loads in my main panel when the power goes out. I think it would be easier and cheaper than moving critical loads to a sub panel?

So my question is: Can I run a 40 A circuit from the sub panel to a 40 A breaker in my main panel with an interlock? Is there any issues with having 2 breakers on the same circuit, one at the sub panel and one at the main panel?

As I ramp up my solar I'd like to be able to run a small mini split and 1 or 2 20 amp branch circuits from the inverter off grid through the sub panel and be able to have back up power.

So long as the main breaker is interlocked with the 40 amp breaker being fed from the sub panel, you should be fine.

There is no issue with having 2 breakers on the same circuit if they are in series. Putting them in parallel would be bad as the combined amperage of both breakers could set the conductor on fire.

Back