diy solar

diy solar

sudeen electricity loss

Bambinoruth714

Got and schneider 4048 inver, 12 320 solar panel ,8 renogy 12v 200ah and an Outback flexmax 80. Even when the inverter is off we get sudden electricity loss in our home. Batteries go from day light 54 v to 49 at dawn. Please help.A t my age my technical skills are limited.

If the inverter is off, what's powering the home?

What is connected to your batteries that they are draining down overnight? Is that voltage range after a night of use?

These are AGM batteries? You have two parallel strings at 48V. Optimal charging would be (200Ah X 2 strings)/8 = 50A. With 12 320W panels you should be getting [(12panels X 320W)/50Vcharging] X 85% = 65A of charging current, so it doesn't seem like you are at a loss for charging current.

What might be a problem is the charger settings? Can you check to see what your bulk, absorb, and floating settings are on the Outback? How old are these batteries? They might just be wearing out? As 400B asks, what DC loads do you have the bank if the inverter is shut off?

"Even when the inverter is off we get sudden electricity loss in our home."
Please clarify as to what that means,

Got and schneider 4048 inver, 12 320 solar panel ,8 renogy 12v 200ah and an Outback flexmax 80. Even when the inverter is off we get sudden electricity loss in our home. Batteries go from day light 54 v to 49 at dawn. Please help.A t my age my technical skills are limited.
Seems English may not be his language I wish folks would put location in their posts. Don't understand this ? Even when the inverter is off we get sudden electricity loss in our home.

I turn disable AC support and schneider and inverter features.
What is this about?? When the inverter is off and your on City power you lose power also? Please do not email me about this. What country are you from?

Last edited:
As of 8:30 am eastern time in volt 123.9- 2.0 out volt 54.0 - 4.7 A 0.250 kw- 0.3 KWHCurrent limit 62. 0 A, Absorbing 56.8 v float 54.4 v

Last edited:
OK, I think what you are trying to say is that 2.0amps at 123.9V is coming into the controller from the solar array, and the Outback controller is transforming it to 4.7 charging amps at 54.0V? Is that correct? That sounds like the bank is at float, or approximately full charge.

With 320W panels, I would guess that you have them wired 4S3P, or perhaps 3S4P? I would guestimate that each string would be putting out 8-9amps at noon, so only 2.0amps suggests that the controller thinks the battery is full. Alternatively, it might be that some of your connections are bad and only one solar string is functional.

How are the solar strings connected to the controller? Is there a combiner box? I would start out be checking each string individually to see if each one is putting out power. Secondly, I'd try to determine the maximal output the combined strings are actually making. You could do this at noon by putting a heavy load in the system, like a toaster oven. As you switch on the toaster oven, I would think that immediately the amps coming in would jump up from 2A to ~12-13A. If it does not, then the power is not getting into the controller.

If you can confirm that power is coming in from the solar arrays, and that the charge controller has the correct charge settings, then I think the conclusion would be that the batteries are going bad?

The OP has difficulty with English or understanding perhaps he has had a stroke or other life event.

It might be that the OP is a Spanish speaker, and using an English translation program?
As of 8:30 am eastern time in volt 123.9- 2.0 out volt 54.0 - 4.7 A 0.250 kw- 0.3 KWHCurrent limit 62. 0 A, Absorbing 56.8 v float 54.4 v
Are you able to watch what the charge controller is doing over a couple of hours? At 8:30 in the morning, your panels are not yet at an optimal angle to the sun, so you'd expect the solar input to be rather low. Later in the morning, say by 10:00 to 11:00am, I'd expect power output to be far higher. Do the tests I mentioned above closer to noon, when you can expect your solar power to be near maximum

A couple of important points. Researching this battery, it appears to have a maximal charging rate of 57.6V in Absorb, so your voltage setting is a bit low. Secondly, how thick is the wire leading from the controller to the batteries? Is it a thick as a pencil lead, or as thick as a whole pencil? It could be that the wire is too thin, and you are getting further voltage drop. Do you have a volt meter? Can you check if the voltage at the battery terminals while charging? If there's a difference between the voltage value on the controller, and the voltage right at the batteries, that would tell you if voltage drop was a problem.

Back