diy solar

diy solar

Suggestion Forum / DIY vids or tuts

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
No suggestion box, so like the other's, posting thoughts in here.

Would it be possible to put up a couple of different tutorials or video's that cover the following items to help answer some common questions.

• How to wire a BMS to your cells , such as 4s, 8s, 16s, or 8s2p. Some sort of quick reference or general guidelines / rules to follow.
  • Wire sizing for a BMS (-) & (+) relative to amperage going through (noticed many prebuilts use 1ga, some even use CCA internally, or multi-wire) So something like a guide of what not to use or what's recommended for 50A, 100A, 150A @12V/24V/48V
  • Some sort of diagram (quick reference) guide to battery layout with bus bars (example below from my ShunBin Pack rebuild)
  • On Bus Bars for Cells. Like in your last video with the used B Cells that came with the thinner copper that you could double up. Again, maybe what is suggested / recommended relative to Amperage & Voltage when building.... and a couple of known good suppliers for Bus Bars wouldn't hurt. Maybe something covering using Aluminium, Copper or other metal bus bars and proper installation such as use washers or not, how tight the bolts should be (things to avoid like bottoming bolt into cell which could crush the top internally) [note: I had a heck of a time getting proper bus bars in Canada via ebay/amazon, the "few" listings were from China only and sizes vary so much I ended up making my own from 1/4"x1-1/2" 110 Copper Bar Stock]

I learned years ago to watch questions on a DIY forum and discovered it's often prudent to post a thread (sometimes a sticky) if the same question is asked more than 3 times by different people to provide a solid base of answers & reference.

Thanks again for the website, videos & this forum, such a great resource & service for everyone, awesome !

24V-16 cell, 8s2p (long format)
lfp-pack-layout-jpg.3848

Another Ponderance, a Suggested Reading List for people in regards to battery packs, charging LFP and whatnot...
so many questions, issues, problems answered right from eh get go... should actually be "Mandatory Reading" IMO.

Lithium battery systems from nordkyndesign.com
Practical Characteristics of Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery Cells most importantly.

And this GEM from Marine How To
LiFePO4 Batteries On Boats https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

Fantastic articles. So many of my BMS questions have been answered, and many things I thought I knew have been debunked. Thanks for sharing that! Bookmarked!

Back