diy solar

diy solar

Suggestion - So you think you can do a DIY Solar test.

45North

Let it shine!
Seems to me that there's a need for some kind of screening process to help people decide if they realistically should take on a DIY Solar project. I've occasionally seen posts from people who obviously should not be doing this. Encouraging people that realistically have no chance is just encouraging them to waste their money on expensive mysteries and is not doing them any favours.
I'd suggest a self-administered test along the following lines:

You can probably take on a DIY Solar project if:
  • you are handy with technical things, and especially if you have some familiarity with electricity
  • you have the time and the inclination in your busy life to research, explore and get into it (the nerd factor!)
  • etc ... add more factors here
On the other hand, you should not bother if:
  • you really are not the least bit handy or are mystified by all things technical
  • you don't have the time or inclination to take the time to learn something new and get into it. Some Solar projects are best done by pros, just like any other project in your life.
  • you think that if you somehow buy a bunch of components they will magically assemble themselves into a working system
  • you expect that some kind volunteer here will design you a complete system using only the vaguest "wish list" of requirements
  • etc ... add more here
The intention here is not to be mean or discriminate against non-technical people, but rather to assist them in realistically assessing their chances of success before investing a lot of time and money.

Questions? Comments?
Would this be a useful addition to the forum?

That second one is key, but additionally one would need to have the INCLINATION to learn from others, and NOT TO BEGIN before getting proper skill set from this forum.
So many come on here knowing the 100W harbor freight setup will power their home, and argue against any teaching the skilled here on the forum teach.

Or, as somebody once said: - It's not so much what people don't know that's a problem. It's what they Think they know!
;)

Edit: It was Mark Twain

Last edited:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

- Douglas Adams

Story of my life. My name is Daniel, ever guessed how many times I've been told I ain't got no legs?

Back