diy solar

diy solar

Suggestions for 48v 5kwh diy battery

Anit767

I’m upgrading my current solar setup from lead Acid to lifepo4. What’s the best route for a diy battery? I don’t want to wait months to get it, so Ali express is off the list. Should I buy used cells or just splurge on new stuff from battery hookup? David Poz says he spends $150 per kwh on his diy Batteries. How is this possible? If I can hit that price, I’ll go for 8kwh.

I’m upgrading my current solar setup from lead Acid to lifepo4. What’s the best route for a diy battery? I don’t want to wait months to get it, so Ali express is off the list. Should I buy used cells or just splurge on new stuff from battery hookup? David Poz says he spends $150 per kwh on his diy Batteries. How is this possible? If I can hit that price, I’ll go for 8kwh.
He bought the g4ll GYLL battery systems.
I think he got them from signature solar.

Ok just to note some reasonable baseline numbers : This Alibaba seller wants $468 including shipping for 4 * 280 Ah * 3.2 volts. This works out to 3.584 kWh. And you can then slap on a 100 amp DALY BMS for $56 from Amazon.

So (468+50)/3.584 = $144 a kWh. Presumably you need a few more bits of wire and heat shrink to hit the $150 mark, or maybe David Poz uses a less crummy BMS like the overkill solar one, and a 48 volt pack. This would be (1,748.72 + 120) / 14.336 = $130 a kWh.

Please note that these are not even Eve cells though they may come from the same factory. You are supposed to compress the cells which sounds easy but appears to be a massive pain, there are several threads on this and various contraptions people have come up with. You don't get a metal box to help contain the fire in case something happens. Nor a circuit breaker, fuse, monitoring board, nor does it neatly slide into a server rack. And you will need 4 of these to hit the 48V the growatt all in ones usually require.

Still you appear to get 14.336 kwh for the price of a little more than just 1 48volt/5kwh premade battery.

Honestly, at these prices. You could order 2 extra batteries for spares. Swap out the ones that go bad. It might work for a decade.

Ok just to note some reasonable baseline numbers : This Alibaba seller wants $468 including shipping for 4 * 280 Ah * 3.2 volts. This works out to 3.584 kWh. And you can then slap on a 100 amp DALY BMS for $56 from Amazon.

So (468+50)/3.584 = $144 a kWh. Presumably you need a few more bits of wire and heat shrink to hit the $150 mark, or maybe David Poz uses a less crummy BMS like the overkill solar one, and a 48 volt pack. This would be (1,748.72 + 120) / 14.336 = $130 a kWh.

Please note that these are not even Eve cells though they may come from the same factory. You are supposed to compress the cells which sounds easy but appears to be a massive pain, there are several threads on this and various contraptions people have come up with. You don't get a metal box to help contain the fire in case something happens. Nor a circuit breaker, fuse, monitoring board, nor does it neatly slide into a server rack. And you will need 4 of these to hit the 48V the growatt all in ones usually require.

Still you appear to get 14.336 kwh for the price of a little more than just 1 48volt/5kwh premade battery.

Honestly, at these prices. You could order 2 extra batteries for spares. Swap out the ones that go bad. It might work for a decade.
I ended up going with new cells from Battery Hookup. Allegedly they are the same cells used in Battle Borns.

7.3kwh for $1000.00

Thread 'Just ordered Lifepo4 prismatic cell 3.2V 280Ah lithium lifepo4' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/j...smatic-cell-3-2v-280ah-lithium-lifepo4.14955/

You are getting cylindrical cells?
I bought these.

One member here claimed his 6 kWh Li build was $1k total for everything to include case, heating pad, and no hidden costs. That’s the same price I paid for a little less 5 kWh of lead acid batteries.

I’m kind of curious about what you have that requires 48 volts, but only requires 5 kw of power. Everything I’ve thought about going higher than 12 volts, like single or dual RV air conditioning would require much more power than that. My absorption fridge can use 320 W per hour, and that could drain a lithium bank on a long winter night.

One member here claimed his 6 kWh Li build was $1k total for everything to include case, heating pad, and no hidden costs. That’s the same price I paid for a little less 5 kWh of lead acid batteries.

I’m kind of curious about what you have that requires 48 volts, but only requires 5 kw of power. Everything I’ve thought about going higher than 12 volts, like single or dual RV air conditioning would require much more power than that. My absorption fridge can use 320 W per hour, and that could drain a lithium bank on a long winter night.

I picked up four panels 40v 10a. I had them set up 2s 2p in the backyard for a small solar generator. I chose 48v because I was able to use a smaller awg wire and a cheap Victron controller. It came in handy when the power went out here. It just needs to power a deep freeze at night. The defroster on my side by side fridge is broken. I might be able to run that at night too.

I ended up going with new cells from Battery Hookup. Allegedly they are the same cells used in Battle Borns.
I bought the 280ah LiFePO4 from Shenzhen Xuba Electronics thru alibaba. $82.67 x 16pcs = $1322.72. Slow boat shipping to the Philippines (got a break there0 $112. Total 1434.72 Daly 150a BMS $140 shipping included. Total 1574.72. 13.44kwh. $117.17/kwh. In service for 8mo+ months. So far so good.

Attachments

• Battery Order .png
    Battery Order .png
    61.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Powerwall.jpg
    Powerwall.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 21
Back