diy solar

diy solar

Suggestions Needed for Installing Pool heatpump with Solar

alicechen745

I am thinking about installing heatpump for my pool of 60000L in melbourne. Is there some one who has installed Pool heatpump and has alligned it with solar panels? What is the experience? Total cost? and how about energy bills?

I have heard a lot about Madimack Pool heatpumps. Checked thier reviews and they sound good. Is it good to go with thier 21KW Elite silent and power it up with 8KW Solar power?

Last edited:
No idea about it, but from:

3.15kW max input power

8kW would certainly run it, but without battery, you're limited to only those hours where your solar output is above the needed input power. When the sun is highest in the northern hemisphere, I suspect you might only be able to do that for 4 hours

Here's your insolation:

1600930210218.png

Pick which months you'd expect to actually use this and multiply panel wattage by the hours given. If you want to heat all year, use June for worst case:

2.87h * 8000W = 23kWh

23kWh/3.15kW = 7.3 hr

This would necessitate that you buy enough batteries to shift the energy you capture out to the edges of your solar day where you can't produce enough to keep it running purely on solar. Alternatively, if grid tie with net metering is possible, you could simply use the grid as storage and run your heater according to your daily solar production.

I also wanted to install a heat pump and make it work from solar panels to save on electricity, but my friends said that was nonsense. But I am still interested in this topic, so I thank you for your answer. Also, I have a question for you, which pool cleaner do you use? The fact is that my old one broke down and I would like to replace it with the best one on the market so that it will last for a long time. So I found the pool cleaner buying guide and I want to know your opinion about these cleaners, I am interested in quality and reasonable price. Thank you in advance.

I'm in Sydney & have this - i have an Astral heat pump & avoid them like the plague, software & support is HORRIFIC.
You *MUST* have the option to vary the power output, i ended up contacting the actual manufacturer in China & he gave me admin codes to adjust he compressor max frequency :) so i can dial it down when needed.

Exactly the same as an Air Con unit - you need hi/med/low power settings & understand when you have that excess power available.
My pool is 70,000L & a 20kw heat pump uses ~4kw of power, which is 4hrs in the day, if i drop it down to 3kw - it gives me 6hrs & i can use a kettle etc. (i have 7.5kw of LG panels installed)
Wifi control & good monitoring is essential too.

energy cost is zero, i only run it when i have solar & i can keep it at 28deg for all but 6months of the year.
you MUST have a blanket, dont bother without a good quality blanket - i used a company in perth (Elite? i think) & got a commercial grade one.

Back