diy solar

diy solar

Sunfunkits show their true color

IIRC, Ray said he was keeping the cells, along with the threatening communicate to verify his claims. He was afraid they might be switched out, or somehow altered to vilify himself.

Sun Fun Kits has posted another video, again explaining away differences in test results by using Wh instead of Ah. Ah are the accepted measure of a cell's capacity, and it is for a reason. Battery capacity (where battery is an assembled packs of cells) is expressed in Wh as it is OK to use a nominal value for planning / design purposes.

I'm tempted to comment on the video, but I guess I'll stay out of it.

Sun Fun Kits has posted another video, again explaining away differences in test results by using Wh instead of Ah. Ah are the accepted measure of a cell's capacity, and it is for a reason. Battery capacity (where battery is an assembled packs of cells) is expressed in Wh as it is OK to use a nominal value for planning / design purposes.

I'm tempted to comment on the video, but I guess I'll stay out of it.

Same here. I made a video over a year ago on this, to demonstrate to someone that voltage, losses, etc. don't matter when doing a capacity test in Ah:

Talking about watts hours as the preferred metric straight off the top of the video could serve as an effective low pass filter in the sales pipeline.
Anybody that still wants to do business is your kinda people.

Last edited:
I hope Ray would post the proof of SFK's threats regarding privacy. That would end this whole fiasco regardless of the test results. Company that does not respect client's data privacy especially when butthurted should not be in any business.

SFK's latest video against Ray is a lot more "slander" than what they claim Ray has done.

Hi Y'all, I could continue down the path of refuting lies and half truths but there is a saying about wallowing in the mud with a pig. You both get dirty but the pig enjoys it. I will be keeping the cells and will eventually get around to retesting them. I have printed the emails and I've shared some of the relevant parts with two other people. I made the video about the threats to disarm a bully. Once I admitted to my arrest from 1979, he lost any power he thought he had. That may have prevented him form posting the document that showed my name and address.

His video makes lots of false accusations, again. I have an email where he initially tested four cells with the ebc-a40l and told me he got 278.5, 277.5, 280.4 and 282.4 on cells he had labelled as 285.5, 284.7, 287 and 289 respectively. It is then that he attacked the accuracy of the tester.

I also have the email where he says and I quote, "If you do not, our next video will expose you as a fraud using your own results, further more we will make public you are a convicted felon while overlaying the audio from your second video were(sic) you go on and on about being a responsible person." At the bottom of that email he included a copy of the arrest report from 1979 with the drivers license photo from 2017. He ends that email and I quote,"Nice haircut in your mugshot btw."

It is my suspicion that the cells were damaged in transport from China and/or from him to me(perhaps by heat in the shipping container or in the delivery trucks, but it never got to that because he almost immediately accused me of faking the tests to make him look bad. At that point there was no point in continuing the dialog. I responded only to claims about wire size and my protocol until he threatened me and then I posted my video. I doesn't make sense to fight him on youtube because even if he were successful in affecting the traffic on my channel, it only reduces the number of people that might learn from the channel. The financial consequences are totally unimportant because youtube isn't how I make a living and money just isn't that important to me. I spend almost no money and live a very frugal life since everything is paid off and I have no expensive habits.

There is more but it just gets stupid to go back and forth with this stuff. It makes me wonder about why this is worth it when all I want to do is share what I have learned along the way. The eventual goal of the channel is to share my knowledge about building science and high performance buildings, but that seems to be less valued by the subscribers. I will eventually be doing more of that though. Thanks for the friendship and support I have received. This is a great community and y'all definitely are smarter than the average bears.

The knee jerk way over the top reaction from SFK in an attempt to discredit you personally as well as your own test results is a very sad reflection of the cut throat side of lifepo4 supply business. Its ok to believe in your products but trying to discredit someone over a test result instead of addressing the issue is nuts. I thought SFK had a fairly unique approach by supplying DIY kits but won't be a customer.

I also have the email where he says and I quote, "If you do not, our next video will expose you as a fraud using your own results, further more we will make public you are a convicted felon while overlaying the audio from your second video were(sic) you go on and on about being a responsible person." At the bottom of that email he included a copy of the arrest report from 1979 with the drivers license photo from 2017. He ends that email and I quote,"Nice haircut in your mugshot btw."

You know, I don't get this. First of all, I don't know why a first offence (like shoplifting as you mentioned in the video) leads to a record, let alone at 17. Even if there was legal action there where I live and not just a stern talking to, it sure as heck wouldn't be available online for everyone to see.
Secondly, just because someone makes a mistake in their lives - how does that automatically mean that the same person can't be a responsible person after that? Why is it that something like that apparently can haunt you for the rest of your life over there?

Anyway, I'll end my rant here. @RayfromTX building science is cool - I'll be sure to watch your next video!

I really need to go back through all of my issues with these guys. Not terrible but definitely have significant room for improvement, 75% might be about right.
I haven’t had dealings with them in 5 or 6 years but I was very pleased with knowledge, service and flexibility on replacing back orders with other items.

You know, I don't get this. First of all, I don't know why a first offence (like shoplifting as you mentioned in the video) leads to a record, let alone at 17. Even if there was legal action there where I live and not just a stern talking to, it sure as heck wouldn't be available online for everyone to see.
Secondly, just because someone makes a mistake in their lives - how does that automatically mean that the same person can't be a responsible person after that? Why is it that something like that apparently can haunt you for the rest of your life over there?

Anyway, I'll end my rant here. @RayfromTX building science is cool - I'll be sure to watch your next video!
It's really strange but here you are considered an adult at 17 for offenses. When I pleaded guilty and took the probation, they told me that after the probation was served that the record would be expunged and would show up as an arrest but not a conviction or what it was but I guess that was a lie. This is the first time it has come up and I discovered that it was still there. It probably explains why on my Global Entry that even thought I passed the background check, for awhile they would make me see an officer on entry to look at me and wave me through. Now that has been fixed and I breeze straight through but I can assure you that poor people and people of color get a different flavor of justice here. I was poor.

At 17 years of age @RayfromTX should have been considered a minor and IIRC, a minor's legal issues are sealed and not made public. Has this changed or different in other states?

Makes it really difficult to get good politicians because so many people have a hicky from their youth that will look bad to some people so honorable people with a mistake years before become disqualified.

Back