diy solar

diy solar

SunGold Power SP6548 Flickering lights after new install

nofear72784

Just finished installing an SP6548 with 2 48v packs I built from eve 280k cells and 6kw of panels. Having a bit of a problem and hope someone can point me in the right direction. Upon firing everything up I noticed that any fixtures with a dimmable LED flicker. We have dimmable LED cans in our kitchen, family room and some ceiling fans. All wiring sizes are correct and I checked my wiring multiple times. So far I tried:
adding more load to the system up to 2kw
isolating the load so only the breaker for the lights was on
turning off the panels
turned off the AC input to the unit
disconnecting the batteries and running off of just solar

All the above still resulted in flickering. I can get the flicker to go away by putting it in bypass mode or running the same sub panel off the generator so it's not the panel wiring. I see threads here and there talking about flickering but no real solution. Hard to watch TV or cook when your lights want to put on a strobe show. Everything else works just fine. Ideas? Thanks in advance!

Sorry, no recommendation, my LED bulbs are not on dimmers, and are commercially available types that install in a standard light socket.

Has to be something going on in the inverter if it only happens when it's running. Very odd

LED's are always flickering. Our human brains just can't see it.
If the neutral isn't bonded correctly, there could be a resonance with the inverter electronics affecting the visual.
Where is the neutral grounded?

What type of LED bulbs-- Edison base or MR-16 with ELV transformers?

The ELV transformers are pretty miserable when lightly loaded and a poor input waveform. Other than that, floating neutral seems most likely.

Edison base. The neutral and ground are bonded at my main disconnect. Unit is 120v only so it's just a single leg. I am using a generator transfer switch which

Did you check output voltage? Do you know what kind of dimmers they are?

Off-grid for 4.5 mo on two Sol-Arks. I have the same strobe effect on my mbath leds. It's not my 12K's, because I had the problem right after I installed our 20 SEER American Standard inverter hp to get ready for being totally off grid. It sets outside, just 6' away. I haven't tried Phillips or Cree bulbs yet.

If the flickering lessens when the dimmer is at full brightness I suspect the inverter is having issues with how the dimmer is pulsing the voltage to dim it.

Just from my own experience of a few years mainly off grid. I noticed with my previous inverter that certain brands of LEDS would do a weird pulsate when dimming almost completely. I noticed a slight dim with heavy loads too. But strangely some brands didn't suffer from this at all. After upgrading my inverter a year ago the problem went away with no changes to wiring at all. About the only issue I have now is a split-second blink when the AC comes on with certain LED bulbs. I can remember though the same thing with grid power happening. It would be easy to fix this though by just transferring grid power to the affected bulbs and would draw very little energy. I was thinking another alternative might be to tie the affected bulbs into a quality UPS system

Dimmers with Leds are a hard combo to get to work. We have a lot of led's with Lutron (like 50 switches) and only can detect flickering when dimmed very low on inverter. We have had multiple circuits that met all of Lutron's specs but it wouldn't light the led's, if I added a extra load of a florescent bulb all would work, we ended up trying other led bulb brands till it worked.

I have led lights in my shop on grid power. Sometimes they flicker sometimes they do not. haven't figured out why yet.

So I pulled the circuits that have dimmers out of the panel and temporarily tired them into an Ego Nexus Power Station. That is a pure sine inverter as well, no flickering at all. I do not have a scope to check the wave on the 6548 but the voltage and hertz are correct and not jumping. Appears to be an inverter deficiency. What a disappointment. I have leviton and lutron led dimmers attached to philips and cree bulbs so not cheap hardware. Only other thing I can think of is it's some kind of noise on the DC side... shrugs

Have you tried to bypass the dimmer with a regular switch just to test or replace your LED's with other brands/types ?
Our new build house has cheap builder grade LED disks that have no filter capacitor at all and they love to twerk at every opportunity.
Surprisingly, cheap Amazon dimmers have not made the problem any worse.

Have not. Didnt really see the need since they only flicker when under DC power from the 6548. After seeing the issue disappear on another inverter I am scratching my head. The lights do no flicker on grid, do not flicker on gen, do not flicker on another inverter wired directly to them.

LED's are always flickering. Our human brains just can't see it.
If the neutral isn't bonded correctly, there could be a resonance with the inverter electronics affecting the visual.
Where is the neutral grounded?
Neutral is bonded at the meter. I am using a reliance transfer panel so I removed the neutral ground screw bond inside the unit. Was that incorrect? To be more specific my meter with disconnect is outside and that has the bond for the main panel. The main panel has 4 service lines coming in with separate neutrals and grounds. The inverter is connected to a 60a breaker in the main panel and the output is connected to a reliance manual transfer switch. The inverter output in connected to the hot, neutral and grnd inside the reliance.

Last edited:
Back