diy solar

diy solar

Sungold split phase 6k hybrid inverter scc review

jbatx

I make stuff with things
Hey all, I didn't find much on Sungold's twist to a 6kw split phase hybrid system. It delivers 6kw split phase 240 from its two 3kw 120v lines. It uses the SolarApp and SaaS platform that others use. ...I imagine that the mfg provides the platform for their customers.

The unit: https://sungoldpower.com/products/6000w-48v-hybrid-solar-inverter-split-phase-120-240vac

...note, that's not an affiliate link. Don't ban me.

I took a chance and bought one to replace my 3kw dumb inverter and Renogy Rover 100a 48v scc. It's now set up with 5kw array, 21.1kw at 48v in lifepo4 and a 9kw harbor freight gasoline generator requiring manual start. Soon, the gene will auto start/stop.

Anyhow.... here's a short review of my experiences with the device and also the support I've received from Sungold

1. It took nearly two months to get the device after direct ordering it from their site. This was not disclosed when I ordered it and I was pretty I unhappy about that. However, the communication from them was very good. They responded within 24 hours to every email I sent. I received the unit about 2 weeks ago.

2. It was packed very well with Styrofoam forms and thin plywood. It weigh about 75lbs or so.

3. Set up was simple and will be easy for an experienced solar hacker type. It's got a lot of settings and options that would make it a challenge for a beginner. I knew what I needed my bulk, float, etc setting to be already.

4. The UI menus are impossible to interpret unless you read the manual. I read it multiple time and now navigating the menus on fhe display is a breeze.

5. Out of the box settings were reasonable and pretty safe. It auto detected the voltage but I did manually set the battery as usr defined, change the bulk, float, low cutoff, discharge return, etc to more logical values.

6. AC input was set to 60h by default and APL making generator connection easy. My generator is delivering 120v + 120v. The internal transfer switch works well when the generator starts and stops. The unit switches between pv and ac on its own and the default settings worked fine.

7. The absolute charge current is configurable from 10-120a. You can also set how much AC charge current should contribute to the total. For example, I set my total charge to 90a and AC to 90a because when I'm running the generator there is no pv input. Each of my three batteries has a 100a jbd (from overkill) bms so i set the max to 90a. Interestingly, I did try setting both to 120a for a few minutes but the sungold unit threw an over current fault and shut down. I turned it on again and set it back to 90 - no issues at 90.

8. There are some issues that I needed to solve with this unit and so far it has solved them.

A. Easy generator connection
B. Auto start after overload
C. Batteryless operation so i can run on pv or generator when doing battery maintenance or when they're fully discharged. ...it happens in the winter.
D. Remote monitoring and parameter editing.

9. The wifi setup and device registration with the SolarApp was a pain in the butt with a pretty poor ux. It didn't work 4 or 5 times, then it was added twice and no data showed up for about 2 days. Now it's working fine and I have changed parameters remotely.

10. Service after delivery has been great. This includes questions about the SolarApp and support of it. They helped me get it working over email and even sent back screenshots.

11. It's two 3kw 120v lines have no discernable ability to go over 3kw. I tripped it running my 1.8kw induction cooker and the mrcool minisplit on high (1.1kw) and alot of led ights. That was about 3kw on the nose. The auto-restart feature kicked in here, which was nice.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• 20220224_204043.jpg
    20220224_204043.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I also have this unit. Initially was told it would ship out from the USA within a week. Lol. This was in December. I received it probably around the same time you did, I don't remember, but took a couple months. It's basically a LVX6048. The sticker on the side says infinisolar VII LV6KW I'm guessing. You don't have a sungold power sticker on the side though. Dealing with customer service has been interesting because they had information incorrect at times, but knowing it was the same as LVX6048 I could use other people's info to have them check stuff and confirm what I thought. Lol.
Mine makes a funny tick about every 8 seconds when it's on, not sure if yours does. I also get a line failure alert every day when it turns on. I don't know If this is because I don't have it hooked to utility power. I was told there was no way to stop it. Otherwise it seems to run fine too.

I also have this unit. Initially was told it would ship out from the USA within a week. Lol. This was in December. I received it probably around the same time you did, I don't remember, but took a couple months. It's basically a LVX6048. The sticker on the side says infinisolar VII LV6KW I'm guessing. You don't have a sungold power sticker on the side though. Dealing with customer service has been interesting because they had information incorrect at times, but knowing it was the same as LVX6048 I could use other people's info to have them check stuff and confirm what I thought. Lol.
Mine makes a funny tick about every 8 seconds when it's on, not sure if yours does. I also get a line failure alert every day when it turns on. I don't know If this is because I don't have it hooked to utility power. I was told there was no way to stop it. Otherwise it seems to run fine too.
I get the clicking too but it's not that frequent. I got one line failure alarm 3 days ago and not since then. I've turned the generator on and off several times since then. I emailed them about it asking what might have triggered it. The alarm still says "unprocessed" ...not sure what that actually means.

There's a sungold sticker on the far side in the photo.

She gave me a weird story about the agent from the mfg not wanting to brand this batch. ....uh k. Sounds sketchy. Whatevs.

My sungold sticker is on the side you showed, directly below handle. Not a big deal.
I also asked about the front logo and I got the same story. A large buyer didn't want the logo so this batch didn't have one. Every time I go into my garage I see a fluorescent blue box and I think something is glowing.
It looks like you opened her up too. ?
Hopefully we have no issues, but it's good to know of somebody else with one so we could troubleshoot. I usually get a response around 2am pst. Some nights I've stayed up to have an actual back and forth conversation.
20220305_190813.jpg

You might change the charge source prioriry (program 10) to 'oso' (solar only) . I suspect that's why I got the alarm initially before the generator was connected. That is, it was trying to pull utility when there was none... idk, guessing.

When I initially connected the generator and started it, it would stop/start charging completely about every 3-5 minutes... as if it was changing sources. This was at night, no pv input.

After upping the charge current and setting charge priority back to 'snu' (solar and utility) it stopped being weird and switching around so much... might have something to do with the default ac input current being only 30a. ...just speculating

I believe I have it set to solar only. It's sometimes hard to tell because sometimes I can only change settings on the app, and sometimes only on the PC. The alert doesn't seem to affect anything, the icon on the solarapp just stays yellow instead of green. I'll just keep working on it. I'll figure it out or just forget about it eventually. I can only delete the alert on shinemonitor, but it never goes back to green.
When I first ordered it, I thought I'd be able to run it from a 120v generator because the specs said ac input was "110vac(p+n)/220vac(p-p)". After figuring out it was the same as the lvx6048, I asked about it and they changed the spec page. That's probably my biggest disappointment, but I have a Riden 6018 that I can use as an external charger with my generator if needed.

For
I believe I have it set to solar only. It's sometimes hard to tell because sometimes I can only change settings on the app, and sometimes only on the PC. The alert doesn't seem to affect anything, the icon on the solarapp just stays yellow instead of green. I'll just keep working on it. I'll figure it out or just forget about it eventually. I can only delete the alert on shinemonitor, but it never goes back to green.
When I first ordered it, I thought I'd be able to run it from a 120v generator because the specs said ac input was "110vac(p+n)/220vac(p-p)". After figuring out it was the same as the lvx6048, I asked about it and they changed the spec page. That's probably my biggest disappointment, but I have a Riden 6018 that I can use as an external charger with my generator if needed.
For what it's worth, I have it charging from a 4 prong twist lock on the split phase output from the generator and it seems to only be using one of the 120v lines.

I noticed that only AC line 1 shows in the graphic. Also, there's a bug in pv output label where it always says 'w' where it's actually rounded kw

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220308-080155_SolarPower.jpg
    Screenshot_20220308-080155_SolarPower.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 15
I noticed that only AC line 1 shows in the graphic. Also, there's a bug in pv output label where it always says 'w' where it's actually rounded kw
I can't blame the software glitches on Sungold. All these voltronix units seem to use the same software and apps. So far I've been able to get everything to connect at least, which is better than some people, and not saying it was easy.
I did actually move 4 of my panels to a better location (front of my house) and pv input made it up to 1.4W today as the app says. Lol.
I didn't comprehend this before, but it seems like you ( @jbatx )and i will be running pretty similar systems once I have everything setup in it's final location except for the generator that actually works directly with the unit.

I am looking at this unit... overall it seems like an LVX6048, with a 120a SSC and 120a AC charger... Biggest benefit is FREE shipping and no tax... that makes it about $200 cheaper...

anything I am missing?

I know AIMs power uses gear made by the same group...

I am looking at this unit... overall it seems like an LVX6048, with a 120a SSC and 120a AC charger... Biggest benefit is FREE shipping and no tax... that makes it about $200 cheaper...

anything I am missing?

I know AIMs power uses gear made by the same group...

I haven't found any difference (besides color) between this and the lvx6048.

I think @jbatx had trouble when he tried 120amp charging from his first post. Which would also be in line with the spec on the lvx.

Customer support is in china I believe, so that's probably what you have to choose between and also why it's cheaper.

I haven't found any difference (besides color) between this and the lvx6048.

I think @jbatx had trouble when he tried 120amp charging from his first post. Which would also be in line with the spec on the lvx.

Customer support is in china I believe, so that's probably what you have to choose between and also why it's cheaper.
awesome that clears it up. MPP looks like a better deal, esp for US stock

Only reason I went with this one was because I wanted splitphase grid/gen tie and batteryless running in ONE unit, not parallel

If the unit is in grid and solar charge input mode with low to moderate load and plenty of pv input (1.5kw+), it seems to switch sources a lot. ...like every minute. I don't know why...

This lead to a net 0 gain in state of charge for my batteries over a couple hours while my gener was running.

Basically, I switch on the generator in the.mornjng and it pulled my batteries off the bottom to about 25% soc. That's at about 90a charge current from the generator. Once the array was pushing about 1.5kw, the unit just kinda gave up on using the generator but it still would flip back and forth.

While it did that, I see the current on the batteries go from 50amps to to 20amps to 0 to -15.... that is generator to pv to no load to -15.

All the span of about 40 seconds. It would do this over and over until I shut off the generator.

Once the generator was off, it maintained constant charge current until the sun started setting.

What I was hoping is that the unit would just continue to rapidly charge the batteries making use of all the available input. ...nope

It tries to be a pv dependent as possible. Not a bad thing really. This means that a manual start generator like mine is not useful if there's ample pv. Now, i wonder how the unit would behave if it were actually connected to constant supply from the grid...

If the unit is in grid and solar charge input mode with low to moderate load and plenty of pv input (1.5kw+), it seems to switch sources a lot. ...like every minute. I don't know why...

This lead to a net 0 gain in state of charge for my batteries over a couple hours while my gener was running.

Basically, I switch on the generator in the.mornjng and it pulled my batteries off the bottom to about 25% soc. That's at about 90a charge current from the generator. Once the array was pushing about 1.5kw, the unit just kinda gave up on using the generator but it still would flip back and forth.

While it did that, I see the current on the batteries go from 50amps to to 20amps to 0 to -15.... that is generator to pv to no load to -15.

All the span of about 40 seconds. It would do this over and over until I shut off the generator.

Once the generator was off, it maintained constant charge current until the sun started setting.

What I was hoping is that the unit would just continue to rapidly charge the batteries making use of all the available input. ...nope

It tries to be a pv dependent as possible. Not a bad thing really. This means that a manual start generator like mine is not useful if there's ample pv. Now, i wonder how the unit would behave if it were actually connected to constant supply from the grid...

It's almost like the charge source priority isn't working exactly right or isn't working as well as you would hope.
Does it matter how you have the solar power priority or output source priority set? I'm still wrapping my head around what those settings do, so it's just a thought. I keep thinking I get it, then I can't remember what I was thinking.

So far, I have not found a combination of settings that stabilizes the jumpiness when both solar and grid are available with the source priority set to both. If I set charge source priority to 'solar first' with the generator running, I can at least get stable positive current to the batteries while the generator is powering the loads (heater, lights). But, that means on a cold and cloudy day like today my 21.1kw bank charges at about 7a, about 400w.

charge source priority as both solar and grid seems pretty damn useless at this point

..also, the app display is delayed or something

currently the app is telling me that the batteries are charging at 2a. ...they're actually draining at -16. This might be a delay in the data processing. But, it's bad reporting none the less

...Mind you I'm doing all this remotely while I have a guest out there. So, I guess that's pretty cool

Last edited:
Ok.. another update.

1. If the inverter looses power input over night, it will go into standby mode. For example, battery cutoff is reached. If this happens, when generator or pv is available , the batteries will charge but there will be no ac output until the unit it manually restarted.

2. The unit switched its own ac output frequency from 60 to 50 sometime in the last 24 hours. ...wtf. I have screenshots before and after.

charge source priority as both solar and grid seems pretty damn useless at this point

..also, the app display is delayed or something

currently the app is telling me that the batteries are charging at 2a. ...they're actually draining at -16. This might be a delay in the data processing. But, it's bad reporting none the less

...Mind you I'm doing all this remotely while I have a guest out there. So, I guess that's pretty cool

Hopefully a lot of these issues can be fixed with a firmware update as more people start using them and reporting the problems.

Yes the app appears to be delayed by a few minutes at least. I wish that even if it was delayed, it was continuous. Instead it just seems to capture the moment it pulls data.
Does yours ever reach bulk charge? I've played with different voltages, but it's never gone above float. I also may not understand how it works.

Hopefully a lot of these issues can be fixed with a firmware update as more people start using them and reporting the problems.

Yes the app appears to be delayed by a few minutes at least. I wish that even if it was delayed, it was continuous. Instead it just seems to capture the moment it pulls data.
Does yours ever reach bulk charge? I've played with different voltages, but it's never gone above float. I also may not understand how it works.
Yes, mine will charge to bulk voltage and the go to float. Issue with that is the lifepo4 batteries need to charge at or close to bulk until there is little to no current flowing. This because they have a pretty flat voltage curve as the reach 90ish % soc. ...so, what I did was set my bulk to 56.7 and my float to 56.
This way float is still charging in that 85-90% range but it's slower.

This is to avoid run away cells at higher soc. ...I mean, I'm not ever trying to reach 3.65. Even with my top balanced cells I'll start seeing 100mv diff about 3.55 where as normally, I have 10mv diff. So, with float at 3.5 and a 100mv jump in voltage diff, I'm not likely to hit 3.65 for long, if at all.

Last edited:
Back