diy solar

diy solar

SUNGOLDPOWER 6000W DC 48V SPLIT PHASE PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER WITH CHARGER

J.P.

I purchase one of these units directly from the company in Dec. 2020. I installed it immediately and have been testing it for the past (almost) 6 months.
I have it hooked up to 500Ah of Homemade 14s 18650 Packs with about 8kW of Panels on the roof flowing through (2) SunnySky Solar MPPT 60A Solar Charge Controllers. I also have it connected to the Grid. I have it set to use the battery as priority and the Internal Charger turned off. If the battery voltage goes below 40V, it is supposed to switch to Grid power and then switch back after the battery is charged back up but I have had some issues with this functionality.

I have been working with SunGoldPower (via emails) since January trying to figure these issues out but no resolution yet on any of them. In fact, I am starting to get discouraged as they do not appear to be putting much effort in to figuring out why their unit is not functioning properly so at this point I am beginning to warn people of my experience. I am also warning that my experience with Cindy (Customer Service) has been less than inspiring.

The first problem that I experienced is that from time to time (with no rhyme or reason that I can see) it will switch off of battery power to grid power and then a few minutes later back to the battery. I have seen it do this many, many times with the battery at various states of charge (well above 40V). I have even see it do it with the battery at 100% (56V). SunGoldPower did not have an explanation for this but asked me to video tape it happening for them. I was finally able to capture this on video and uploaded it to my YouTube Channel and gave them the private link so they could watch it but it does not appear (after 5 days) that they have even watched it yet.

The second issue I had is that one Saturday when I arrived just after daylight and the Inverter was on Grid power. The Battery was at 46V and just started charging for the day. As mentioned above I have seen it on Grid Power (for no reason) many times but this time I waited for over an hour and it never did switch back to battery power. When I finally switched the Inverter off and then back on it immediately went to Inverter (battery) mode. SunGoldPower did not have an explanation for this either.

Last week I simulated what would happen if I turned all of the batteries off and the inverter suddenly got ZERO volts like a breaker tripped or the batteries got so low the smart BMS's all turned the packs completely off. Everything shut down and the Inverter did NOT switch to grid power. (SunGoldPower confirmed that was how it is designed) and I waited for about 15 seconds then I turned the batteries back on and the inverter immediately went into bypass and fed the building grid power. [The fact that it does not switch to grid power upon battery failure is a shortcoming IMO.] It was early in the morning and the batteries were at 60% or so. I turned off all of the batteries (via smart BMS's) except one and the inverter stayed on grid power for over an hour until that battery was mostly charged back up (very cloudy/rainy day) and then it automatically switched back to battery power (as it should). I need to simulate a low battery (40V) condition and see if it switches to grid power as its supposed to but I have not tried that one yet.

Those issues are not as concerning as the third issue that I had (twice now). This set-up is in a building that I normally only go and visit on the weekends but twice now we have arrived to a building with NO power. The first time it happened I had little details for them so they asked me to video tape the system readings if it ever happened again. I was able to do that this past Saturday when I arrived to a building with NO power again. What I found was an inverter with the screen powered up and saying that it was reading 0VDC from the battery (but not in bypass mode to feed grid power). I hooked up my meter to the posts on the Inverter and it read 56V but the inverter was not seeing it. I turned the inverter off and back on it it began working properly. I sent them the video on Monday but again (5 days later) they have yet to watch it. I mentioned in the e-mail that my charge controller alarms were going off indicating the battery was overcharged and so they keyed in on that to tell me (this morning) that the inverter probably hit 66V and switched itself off to prevent damage. They did not even bother to watch the videos (showing the battery voltage was 56V) but just arrived at that (convenient) conclusion and offered noting else. Very disappointing.

I told them that it was not possible for the battery to get to 66V since my charge controllers are set to stop charging at 56V and my smart BMS's are set to stop charging at 56.2V and when I arrived that morning the battery was at exactly 56V (captured on video) and the charge controllers and smart BMS's were working properly. We will see what they say about that but I am very disappointed that went to all the trouble to make videos and they have not even bothered to watch the (less than) 10 minutes total of them before they offered their (erroneous) conclusion.

My videos are very amateur but if any of you want to watch them here are the links.

Arrived to Building with no power.
It just switched to Grid Power for no reason.
Tripped out of inverter mode to grid power a second time and also caught it switching back to Battery Power again for no reason.

As an engineer and enterprise IT guy what is instantly a deal killer is that a product this expensive and configurable has no logging. EVERY GD THING POSSIBLE at all time should be logged at a very granular level, and they should be able to get that and runbook to find the logic involved, or lack thereof.

Thx for the sharing and warning!

Back