diy solar

diy solar

Sungrow SH5K-30 DIY battery possible ?

CAN is working fine in my case, however the frequent restart of the Batrium BMS creates problems. Still running on CAN, but I have no problem with the "other battery" option either. In fact that is more predictable (in my case). The other issue I have with the Sungrow, it is randomly dumps the battery to the grid. Constant load, each time different. When this happening the status monitor says "Forced". Which is only possible when the power management is in "balanced load", but my one is in "timing". Also no matter what battery settings is on, so this is something else. I'm not sure if that helped much.

Update: I have replaced the inverter, for a different reason. The new inverter has three port for the CAN bus communication, as opposed to the CAN H + CAN L on the Sungrow (no ground). Theoretically, the missing common ground for the CAN could cause critical error in the communication (jamming) and theoretically could cause the restart (lockup) of the BMS (Batrium in my case). If someone still working with Sungrow, it might worth to figure out where is the CAN ground connected and try to run it with three wire. Unfortunately the tech support from Batrium wasn't able to identify this issue earlier, Sungrow tech support is not helpful at all when you mention DIY. So good luck folks.

RP67, Did you come right with you BMW and SunGrow. I am looking to use a SunGrow HV Inverter, with a Second Life Battery. The battery is build from IPACE Modules, 230V total. I have not purchased the BMS, so looking for some advice on what would be the best BMS to use.

I have some success emulate byd can protocol.
Inverter Sungrow SH10RT
Still Testing

Attachments

• 20230706_121951.jpg
    20230706_121951.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230706_122058.jpg
    20230706_122058.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230706_121956.jpg
    20230706_121956.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 14
You don't need ground with CANBus; and on top of that a good BMS has isolated CAN especially when dealing with HV batteries.
The sungrow is a sensitive inverter protocol wise. A wrong setup there can cause resets etc.

Back