diy solar

diy solar

Sungrow SH5K-30 over-current fault...?

joemoco7

Hi all, I'm quite mystified as to what's going wrong with my new setup, and would be endlessly grateful for some assistance!

We have a 6.6kW system, that was originally installed with a standard 5kW single phase, grid-tied inverter.

I recently replaced the original inverter with a 5kW Sungrow SH5K-30 "residential hybrid inverter" - basically a grid-tied hybrid; along with a 51.2V 310Ah LiFePo4 battery run by a Daly R32U1 16s 48V 150A BMS.

Long story short, the system does seem to work, where the inverter charges and draws power from the battery; but I keep getting this "616 Over-Current Fault" from the inverter. The inverter manual just says it happens when charge/discharge current exceeds the maximum, and the inverter will go into standby mode until the current goes down.

I have no idea why this is happening, as the inverter should be limited to charge/discharge at 62A (below the 65A maximum stated in the manual), and the BMS should be set to cut out at 64A.

Any insight would be immensely appreciated! Even any advice on how to talk to Sungrow tech support without having them give me a hard time for running custom batteries would be a huge help. Thanks much in advance!

It seems as through doing a hard reset (cutting all power and turning off the inverter for a few minutes) has cleared the fault. If only I applied wifi router logic sooner... ?

Seems like the root of my problems is coming from the Daly BMS randomly sleeping (despite continuously charging/discharging, and having the Sleep Waiting Time set to 65535...)

How did you make it working the 5kW Sungrow SH5K-30 without a connecting the CAN cable ?
I have a friend with the same inverter like you and we don't know if we can use lithium battery without this can cable .
I will build for him 24KWh .

How did you make it working the 5kW Sungrow SH5K-30 without a connecting the CAN cable ?
I have a friend with the same inverter like you and we don't know if we can use lithium battery without this can cable .
I will build for him 24KWh .
Glad to hear there's someone else in the world with this inverter! Doesn't seem like there are many people on the forum with Sungrow stuff.

I can confirm that the SH5K-30 can take batteries without CAN communication. Sungrow talks about this in there manuals in regards to lead acid packs, but any pack is fine, as long as you set the battery perimeters correctly, and the pack has its own protections (ie, a BMS).

In the "Battery" setting, there's a selection called "Other Battery," where it looks for these parameters:

- Max Chrg - Maximum charge rate (65A max)
- Max DCrge - Maximum discharge rate (65A max)
- Rate Vtg - Rated voltage of the battery pack
- Capacity - Ah capacity of the pack
- Over Vtg - Maximum voltage protection of the pack
- Low Vtg - Minimum voltage protection of the pack
- Over Temp - Maximum temperature protection in C°
- Low Temp - Minimum temperature protection in C°
- CSTVtgChrar - Charging cutoff voltage
- DCharEndVtg - Discharging cutoff voltage

Note the 65A max charge/discharge ? It's a good grid-tied hybrid inverter, but it is limited in how much it can pull from the battery at once. So depending on what you're planning on running, you might always be a bit grid dependant (This might determine how big of a battery is actually useful for your friend - 24KWh might be oversized if the SH5K-30 can't pull enough power to drain it in an average day).

My pack (16s, 3.2V 310Ah) is currently set like this:
- Max Chrg: 0.200C
- Max DCrge: 0.200C
- Rate Vtg: 51.2V
- Capacity: 310Ah
- Over Vtg: 58.4V
- Low Vtg: 40V
- Over Temp: 60.0
- Low Temp: -25.0
- CSTVtgChrar: 56.65V
- DCharEndVtg: 41.24V

I hope that's helpful!

Glad to hear there's someone else in the world with this inverter! Doesn't seem like there are many people on the forum with Sungrow stuff.

I can confirm that the SH5K-30 can take batteries without CAN communication. Sungrow talks about this in there manuals in regards to lead acid packs, but any pack is fine, as long as you set the battery perimeters correctly, and the pack has its own protections (ie, a BMS).

In the "Battery" setting, there's a selection called "Other Battery," where it looks for these parameters:

- Max Chrg - Maximum charge rate (65A max)
- Max DCrge - Maximum discharge rate (65A max)
- Rate Vtg - Rated voltage of the battery pack
- Capacity - Ah capacity of the pack
- Over Vtg - Maximum voltage protection of the pack
- Low Vtg - Minimum voltage protection of the pack
- Over Temp - Maximum temperature protection in C°
- Low Temp - Minimum temperature protection in C°
- CSTVtgChrar - Charging cutoff voltage
- DCharEndVtg - Discharging cutoff voltage

Note the 65A max charge/discharge ? It's a good grid-tied hybrid inverter, but it is limited in how much it can pull from the battery at once. So depending on what you're planning on running, you might always be a bit grid dependant (This might determine how big of a battery is actually useful for your friend - 24KWh might be oversized if the SH5K-30 can't pull enough power to drain it in an average day).

My pack (16s, 3.2V 310Ah) is currently set like this:
- Max Chrg: 0.200C
- Max DCrge: 0.200C
- Rate Vtg: 51.2V
- Capacity: 310Ah
- Over Vtg: 58.4V
- Low Vtg: 40V
- Over Temp: 60.0
- Low Temp: -25.0
- CSTVtgChrar: 56.65V
- DCharEndVtg: 41.24V

I hope that's helpful!
Yes hard to find some details about this.
I got one bms who can emulate some battery pack. I didn't try yet but they said it's working good but they have some limitations.

I try without can cable but I didn't select the "other settings" I select lithium ion.
The strange parts is the inverter was sucking few watts from the battery but refused to charge or discharge.

Yes I saw it 65A.
The tricks is to goes higher voltage.
I saw he can accept up to 70V.
70V X65A it's 4500 Watt.

I am thinking to build 17s lithium ion because the inverter will not fully charge the battery to extend is life.
And 17S look good because 85% 90% is 4.1V each cell So 69.7V total.

So I should to select other battery and waiting few minutes?

Also I hope he will not charge as lead acid or agm battery because the lithium battery will blows up one days.

It's happening to one of my customers. I said to her to not use the lead acid charger on is bike because we put lithium ion. She did not listen and the battery catch fire.
It's something about the agm need higher voltage at the end and the mofset didn't trigger in some case. You will find some information about this.

I will check that and hope he will provide CC/CV.

Thank you for your help.

Yes hard to find some details about this.
I got one bms who can emulate some battery pack. I didn't try yet but they said it's working good but they have some limitations.

I try without can cable but I didn't select the "other settings" I select lithium ion.
The strange parts is the inverter was sucking few watts from the battery but refused to charge or discharge.

Yes I saw it 65A.
The tricks is to goes higher voltage.
I saw he can accept up to 70V.
70V X65A it's 4500 Watt.

I am thinking to build 17s lithium ion because the inverter will not fully charge the battery to extend is life.
And 17S look good because 85% 90% is 4.1V each cell So 69.7V total.

So I should to select other battery and waiting few minutes?

Also I hope he will not charge as lead acid or agm battery because the lithium battery will blows up one days.

It's happening to one of my customers. I said to her to not use the lead acid charger on is bike because we put lithium ion. She did not listen and the battery catch fire.
It's something about the agm need higher voltage at the end and the mofset didn't trigger in some case. You will find some information about this.

I will check that and hope he will provide CC/CV.

Thank you for your help.
Yeah, so, for me, when I select "Other Battery," and then turn it on, after it goes through the Start-Up sequence, it does take a few minutes to fully utilize the battery. At first, it will only send a few amps to check if everything is okay, and then stop for a bit--and then send a few more amps and then stop for a bit. After a few cycles of that, it will open up fully to the set charge/discharge rate.

I did try to ask Sungrow about CAN communication a few months back, but they just ignored me ? I've been really disappointed with how unhelpful they've been. But, maybe it's just Sungrow Australia, though - electrical stuff is so restricted here. You're not even supposed to change a light fixture yourself ? So different to my experience in the States.

If there's literature out there about how any of the recommended batteries communicate over CAN, it might be possible to replicate that, as you say ? Wouldn't know where to start on that, though. Just out of curiosity, what BMS did you wind up getting?

Yeah, I don't know exactly how it handles CC/CV, but for my LiFePo4 cells, it's tended to be pretty conservative. At 0.2C, it'll hit them with ~20A until they get close to the target cumulative voltage, and then it'll bring the amps right down into the single digits (I'm guessing that's when it switches from CC to CV). More often than not, it'll say the batteries are at 100% SOC when my BMS says they're more like 95% - but that's been close enough for me, so far.

Back