diy solar

diy solar

Sungrow SH5K-30 to DTSU666 meter communication?

joemoco7

Hey all,

It seems like the last step before I can really start using my solar battery is to get the inverter clued into what's happening with our power usage in the house, so it can do export control. Long story short, I'm having trouble getting the DTSU666 3-phase meter installed on our powerboard talking with the inverter. The meter is reading out the power usage in the house just fine, on its own display.

These are the only manuals I can find regarding the installation of the DTSU666 with Sungrow inverters:
- https://service.sungrowpower.com.au/files/Web_Files/FAQ/TD_202008_3-Phase Hybrid_Energy Meter Wiring_V1.0.pdf
- https://service.sungrowpower.com.au/files/Web_Files/FAQ/DTSU666-QIEN-Ver12-202003.pdf

I did my best to follow what it says, connecting pin 24 on the DTSU666 with A2 on the inverter, and pin 25 on the DTSU666 with B2 on the inverter, but the inverter just isn't seeing it. The wires test as good, and they were previously working with a different meter (S100 single-phase meter).

Of course, Sungrow support is stonewalling me, saying I need to call out a solar installer; and the solar installer has yet to call me back about coming out to look at it...

The only thing I can think of is that the DTSU666 needs to be configured to talk to the inverter. Huawei and SAJ have more comprehensive manuals that discuss changing the meter's communication settings:

- Huawei: https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/doc/EDOC1100020898/f00615c5/functions
- SAJ: https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws...file/410/0dcc24414d19835010a890679d50c468.pdf

I know the SH5K-30 needs a 9600 bpd baud rate, but I'm not sure about the other parameters (the "communication stop bit and parity bits" setting, and the communication address). If I knew one of the other two parameters, I could probably just cycle through trail-and-error style... ?

Any help would be super appreciated!! Thanks a ton in advance!

Last edited:
Okay, a tiny bit of progress:

I found this other forum of people discussing connecting to their Sungrow inverters for data tracking purposes, and saw someone post about taking readings off an S100 meter. This is what they found:

"Modbus Response (COM3)
Address: 32
Function: 3 (0x03) – Read Holding Registers
Byte Count: 4
Values: 00 00 1f b4
Register0: 0
Register1: 8116
Checksum: 50038(OK)"

I don't know what most of that means ? but, I set the DTSU666 communication address to 32, and lo and behold, the inverter thinks there's a meter connected now!

Problem is, the reading is wrong - it's thinking the house is consuming all the power produced by the solar panels, and it's showing no import/export to the grid... That's definitely not what's actually happening.

Changing the "communication stop bit and parity bits" setting among "none parity, 2 stop bits" (n.2), "none parity, 1 stop bit" (n.1), and "even parity, 1 stop bit" (E.1) didn't seem to do anything different; but changing it to "factory mode" (645) or "odd parity, 1 stop bit" (O.1) made the meter look disconnected again.

Also, changing the address slightly off 32 (say, to 33) made the meter look disconnected, too. I didn't get to try many other addresses before I ran out of time, though.

One thing I see on my meter that these manuals don't talk about are a "Ct" setting and a "Pt" setting. I'm wondering if "Ct" sets the meter to expect CT sensors? I know this is an optional setup for (at least some) DTSU666's, but I don't currently have mine setup in this way--instead, I have all three phases running through the meter, as described in the Sungrow installation manuals. I guess "Pt" probably means "potential transformer" - looks like it's a similar kind of thing to the CT sensors? But yeah, don't know much about it. Maybe messing with these settings (and making sure they're off) will be my next experiment, when I get the chance... ?

Last edited:
Okay, the "Ct" and "Pt" settings were a bust...

The Chint DTSU666 manual says they stand for "Current Transformer Ratio" and "Potential Transformer Ratio," and changing the settings seemed to just add a multiplier to the readings on the DTSU666 display, but didn't seem to effect the inverter at all...

Aside from that, I discovered that address 64 also seems to work, same as 32--but with that, 8, 16, and 24 don't work. I tried a handful of others, but no luck. The manual says the address values can go from 1 to 247...

There are also settings for:
- "Electric energy zero clearing" (CLrE), the setting options being: "0: no," and "1: E" - I think it just clears the stored data...
- "Pulse output" (PLuS), the settings being, "0: active energy pulse"; "1: reactive energy pulse"; and, "2: other" - maybe "pulse" means frequency...?
- "Select the wiring method" (nEt), the settings being "n.34" meaning their four-wire connection method; "n.33" meaning their three-wire connection method. I'm currently using the four wire configuration and have it set to n.34, but the inverter didn't change when I tried n.33...

Yeah, not sure where to go from here...

Last edited:
Tiny update:

I got a RS485/USB adapter, in order to confirm the communication settings for the S100 and DTSU666, both.

The S100 does appear to be communicating as follows -
- 9600 baud
- None parity, 1 stop bit
- Address 32

So with that, you'd think that the inverter should be able to pick up the DTSU666 if it were set the same way.

However, when I set the DTSU666 to match, and try to connect it to the computer, I get this error back: "ModBus exception response from slave device."

No idea what this is about - not sure if it means the DTSU666 still isn't configured properly, or if it means I have a broken unit. Hoping Chint will get back to me with useful help...

Okay, problem solved, finally.

I got a Sungrow branded DTSU666 in the mail yesterday, and sure enough, it has proprietary settings ? It's communication settings are as follows:

-9600 baud
-None parity, 1 stop bit
-Address 254

The only reason this is proprietary is that the original DTSU666 I got from Chint can only go up to address 247 by manually entering values through the button interface. They must reserve the last few addresses from proprietary uses like this...

If there's a way to set the address to 254 through other means, such as a RS485/USB interface, I'd love to know! But for the time being, the moral if the story is just buy a branded DTSU666 ?‍♂️.

Maybe I can resell my original meter on eBay - I believe it would still work for someone with, say, a Huawei inverter that uses Address 1, or an inverter where you can set the address the inverter looks for manually...

Anyway, hopes this helps someone in the future!

Hi, I have same problem. Meter is not seen by the system. Original address was 1, change it to 11, 20, 32, 247, and now to 246.
Max is 247. 247 is address for wifi dongle. DTSU666 was from the box of inverter (SH10RT). After you bought new smart meter, were you able to add it to inverter solarcloud app? I’ve tried using DTSD1352, but no matter which address I use it gets me “Device upnumber limit” in isolarcloud app.

Attachments

• D033DFA4-38E1-4FEF-84F7-FBFFB4EEB092.jpeg
    D033DFA4-38E1-4FEF-84F7-FBFFB4EEB092.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 31
Hi, I have same problem. Meter is not seen by the system. Original address was 1, change it to 11, 20, 32, 247, and now to 246.
Max is 247. 247 is address for wifi dongle. DTSU666 was from the box of inverter (SH10RT). After you bought new smart meter, were you able to add it to inverter solarcloud app? I’ve tried using DTSD1352, but no matter which address I use it gets me “Device upnumber limit” in isolarcloud app.
So, I'm not sure how related the SH10RT and the SH5K-30 are, but for the SH5K-30, all meters need to be plugged into RS485 inputs dedicated for meters (A2 and B2) - so there's no iSolarCloud configuration needed. Plugging them in to any other RS485 input won't work for the SH5K-30, as far as I know ?

The DTSU666's Sungrow sells must have been set to address 254 special from the Chint factory - my guess is if you buy meters in bulk, you can request Chint to set the address to a proprietary address that the generic meters aren't able to go up to...

Unfortunately, the only solution I've come across is to just buy a Sungrow branded DTSU666 ? I found mine from a solar supplier who just shipped to me directly.

The meter came with the Sungrow inverter, and the address was set to 1. Yes, it is connected to A2B2. So how can I see if the meter is connected if I cannot see it in iSolarCloud?

Also, can you please make 2 photos of smart meter? From and right side?

Here are photos from mine.

Attachments

• D7761E11-7EEE-4A57-A413-C1787B263F21.jpeg
    D7761E11-7EEE-4A57-A413-C1787B263F21.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 31
  • AB9DB068-8ECB-4DB9-8C45-F55487F5A070.jpeg
    AB9DB068-8ECB-4DB9-8C45-F55487F5A070.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 28
Huh... Yes, that does not look like mine ? Mine has some Sungrow stickers stuck over some of the Chint ones... I'll try to take a picture when I can.

When you say it came with it, you mean it came packaged in the same official box as the inverter, from Sungrow? Or, would it be possible that someone accidentally gave you the wrong meter?

Did you find a solution? I am also having the same problem.

There must be a way to make it work with Sungrow. How about making a proxy for modbus? In order to proxy I have to know original addresses.

I also have communication problems between the DTSU666 smart meter & my inverter (SG5.0RT). I can't see in app or on web how much energy is sent into the grid & how much I'm using internally.
The situation is the same when I connect to the inverter through my LAN.
But yesterday I noticed that when I connect directly to the inverter's WIFI I have all information there. Where is the issue? :-(

Back